Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer case sound help!

Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case sound help!

HELLO EVOM,
I RECENTLY HAD A COMPETITION CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL INSTALLED IN MY 06 IX MR. ALL WAS GOOD INSTALL WENT SMOOTH, WHILE I WAS AT IT I HAD REPLACED ALL THE FLUIDS WITH OEM MITSUBISHI FLUIDS. ABOUT 380 MILES INTO MY BREAK IN I WAS ON THE HIGHWAY AND I OUT OF NOWHERE I STARTED TO HEAR WHAT SOUNDED LIKE A WHINE. AS I DROVE TO WORK IT GOT LOUDER THEN I DROVE IT HOME IT STARTED GETTING EVEN LOUDER SO I PARKED IT TO PREVENT FURTHER DAMAGE. THE ODD THING IS I ONLY GET THE WHINE WHEN UNDER A LOAD AND IT STARTS AT ABOUT 30MPH. WHEN I BLIP THE GAS U HEAR IT BUT GOES AWAY WHEN OFF. IF I PUT THE CLUTCH IN WHILE DRIVING OR PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL THE SOUND GOES AWAY NO MATTER WHAT SPEED I AM AT. I SENT A VIDEO TO COMPETITION TO SEE IF POSSIBLY THE LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL COULD BE THE CULPRIT BUT THEY STATED IT WAS DRIVETRAIN RELATED. I HAD A LOCAL EVOM MEMBER A CERTIFIED TECH/ EVO OWNER THAT HAD DONE MY CLUTCH DRAIN MY T-CASE FLUID AND WE FOUND THAT MY FLUID HAD A METALLIC TINT TO IT BUT NO BIG SHAVINGS OR ANYTHING. WE PULLED THE T-CASE APART AND FOUND THAT THE FRONT CARRIER BEARINGS SHOWED SIGN OF WEAR AND THE RACES HAD SOME SCORING ON THEM AS WELL AS THE ACD BEARING. THE RING GEAR AND PINION WERE MINT AND EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMED TO BE OKAY. THE ONLY OTHER BEARINGS I DID NOT REPLACE WERE THE PINION BEARINGS. WITH THE HELP OF JACKS TRANSMISSIONS THEY WERE ABLE TO HELP ME SOURCE THE CARRIER BEARINGS WITH RACES. THESE BEARINGS ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET. I GOT THE NEW BEARINGS WITH THE RACES AND ALSO THE NEW ACD BEARING REPLACED O-RINGS AND SEALS THAT CAME WITH JACKS KIT PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AND USED REDLINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF GEAR OIL IN HOPES I CORRECTED MY ISSUE. WITH THAT WE DROVE THE CAR AND STILL AT 30MPH THE SOUND IS STILL THERE. ITS A LITTLE BIT MORE QUIET BUT ITS STILL THERE. I AM STUMPED AND COULD USE ADVICE.. ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:41 AM

Forgot to mention we did have it on a lift and put a scope to it to narrow down the chances of it being another drivetrain sound or a rear diff concern but it definately is coming from the t-case
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:23 AM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you 100% sure your ring and pinion were ok? They are very easy to misdiagnose as good because the wear is very difficult to see, even with an experienced eye. We must build at least 1 t-case a day and sometimes even we have a hard time seeing it. It sounds to me like your ring and pinion are gone.

How have you been filling the t-case? It sounds like it wasn't filled in the correct way and the gears got wiped out.

Jack
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:52 AM

Yes it had been filled correctly with intervals in between filling to make sure we had proper amount of fluid in it. The backlash was fine and within spec nothing had been touched and no out of ordinary play. all teeth look mint on the ring gear side and the convect side of the pinion. The ring gear itself still looked mint no scrapes or chips. Im not even getting metal filings im just experiencing that metallic tint. Im going to have this magnafluxed to be sure. After replacing the carrier bearings you had been able to get me the sound did quiet down a bit but its still there.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Gold Sponsor

Yeah, you can't tell the R&P are worn in that way. The wear will be a polished finish on the teeth. Like I said, it's very difficult to see with the eye. It's not obvious and will not be something big liked a wiped out area or chips.

The way you describe filling it is not correct either and why your R&P are dead.

Originally Posted by 1sikmr
Yes it had been filled correctly with intervals in between filling to make sure we had proper amount of fluid in it. The backlash was fine and within spec nothing had been touched and no out of ordinary play. all teeth look mint on the ring gear side and the convect side of the pinion. The ring gear itself still looked mint no scrapes or chips. Im not even getting metal filings im just experiencing that metallic tint. Im going to have this magnafluxed to be sure. After replacing the carrier bearings you had been able to get me the sound did quiet down a bit but its still there.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
The way you describe filling it is not correct either and why your R&P are dead.
I tried your (Jacks) method of filling the TC from the bottom (drain) this last weekend. Put a full quart in with a 3/8 pipe fitting, drove around then drained the rest out the fill with the car level. Seems to be OK so far.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:14 PM

wats the proper way to fill the tcase?? when i did mine before i drained it, filled in fill plug, drove it a bit then topped it off... is there another way?? jack i did wat u said n just ordered a Gallon of the redline heavy shockproof today for $62 ! for the tcase n rear diff.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:58 AM

I should have the bearings I got from you guys today Im going to make sure I fill case as you guys describe on your site and will go from there worst case scenario I will be ordering the ring and pinion from you. As big a pain this is, it is definately a learning experience. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by dlucasevo8
wats the proper way to fill the tcase?? when i did mine before i drained it, filled in fill plug, drove it a bit then topped it off... is there another way?? jack i did wat u said n just ordered a Gallon of the redline heavy shockproof today for $62 ! for the tcase n rear diff.
HERE you go
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
Gold Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1sikmr
I should have the bearings I got from you guys today Im going to make sure I fill case as you guys describe on your site and will go from there worst case scenario I will be ordering the ring and pinion from you. As big a pain this is, it is definately a learning experience. Thanks for all the help!!!
Many people are in the same boat as you. It can be very frustrating to locate and repair the t-case death whine issue.

A good rule of thumb is- if you see build-up on your drain plug magnet, but everything inside looks good, then that build-up is from the ring and pinion wearing down. They wear down so fine that it's difficult to see other than the stuff collected on the magnet.

Having said that, if you change the oil in your t-case, which is not whining, and you see some build-up on your magnet, don't panic! Just clean the magnet, run the Redline Shockproof Heavy, and change it more often. If it doesn't whine, you are OK and a small amount of build-up is normal.

Jack