Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo6 idle issue with Apexi Power FC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo6 idle issue with Apexi Power FC

Hi Guys

Having a strange issue with my Evo 6 for a while now after install 272 hks cams , evo9 turbo and tuned Apexi power fc .
I hardly eva use the car so didnt think much but when drove it this weekend it has become really annoying.

The issue :
When driving and coming to a stop the idle doesnt drop and sit around 1500-2000 and then slowly drops to normal 900rpm.

Hope someone can shed some light. Car was tuned mid last year. Prior to fitting the cams and turbo the car/Apexi power fc was fine and didnt have this issue.

Cheers

PS: On cold startup it revs to 2000 and the drops to 1500 and after about 2min it will drop to 900rpm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by gavi101
Hi Guys

Having a strange issue with my Evo 6 for a while now after install 272 hks cams , evo9 turbo and tuned Apexi power fc .
I hardly eva use the car so didnt think much but when drove it this weekend it has become really annoying.

The issue :
When driving and coming to a stop the idle doesnt drop and sit around 1500-2000 and then slowly drops to normal 900rpm.

Hope someone can shed some light. Car was tuned mid last year. Prior to fitting the cams and turbo the car/Apexi power fc was fine and didnt have this issue.

Cheers

PS: On cold startup it revs to 2000 and the drops to 1500 and after about 2min it will drop to 900rpm
Hi,

Is it the D-Jet version ? did you tune it yourself ? and with the commander or FC edit ?

Also what are your Rev/Idle settings like ? Also check your TPS voltage from the commander and see what volt is showing with just ignition on.

Finally did you alter the BISS screw by any chance ?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sound77
Hi,

Is it the D-Jet version ? did you tune it yourself ? and with the commander or FC edit ?

Also what are your Rev/Idle settings like ? Also check your TPS voltage from the commander and see what volt is showing with just ignition on.

Hi
Its a L-Jet version (with stock evo afm) . It was tuned by a pro and he used FC-Datalogit . I am at work at the moment when i get home i will note the Rev/idle setting for you and check the tps volate from the commander.

Now that you mentioned it, after the car was tuned while at the tuners shop when i went to collect the car, i mentioned to him that i previous used to get rev bounce when aircon was on, so he started the car and showed me the idle screw and showed me how to ajust and at the time he did play around with the idle screw this was when i was picking the car up and it was NOT hooked up to FC-Datalogit. Could that be a problem ????
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:20 PM

Hi
Its a L-Jet version (with stock evo afm) . It was tuned by a pro and he used FC-Datalogit . I am at work at the moment when i get home i will note the Rev/idle setting for you and check the tps volate from the commander.

Now that you mentioned it, after the car was tuned while at the tuners shop when i went to collect the car, i mentioned to him that i previous used to get rev bounce when aircon was on, so he started the car and showed me the idle screw and showed me how to ajust and at the time he did play around with the idle screw this was when i was picking the car up and it was NOT hooked up to FC-Datalogit. Could that be a problem ????
Now the L-Jet version should be very easy to work with ! unlike the D-Jet, anyways. Did this just happened before you have installed the cams or after ?

Also I suggest you have a look at this ;

http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#40a

very useful and covers all the basic and some advance features about the PFC, and check under (Technical Issues) para 67 on how to idle learn steps.

Also your RPM settings must match your Rev/Idle setting ! so put the required RPM and then exit, bring the car to normal temp, adjust the BISS screw to match your PFC rpm, disconnect the batt for good period and the go through the idle learn steps as per the above para 67. where you don't have to initialize anything ! well that's how i did it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:02 AM

Hi,

Definately happen after the cam/ turbo install/Tune. BYW i had evo 8 cams HKS 272 installed onto my evo 6.

My Power fc "Rev Idle settings":
Rev, Limit 7300 rpm
F/C A/C 1100 rpm
F/C A/C 1150 rpm
IDLE A/C 950 rpm
IDLE A/C 1000 rpm

How do i check the TPS voltage with out making changes to maps etc?

I did have a look at website at para 67 : http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#40a
It does say that when you perform the "Idle intialise" you will loose your current maps (which i dont want to as it will cost mee $$ to get it retuned )

Are you saying that you did the idle reset with intialising the power fc ? Just by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting and lettiing car idle for 10min and then 10 min with aircon on and lastly idle 10 min with demister on ?? Is that what you did ? If so did you notice a difference ?

Thanks

Last edited by gavi101; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 AM

Definately happen after the cam/ turbo install/Tune. BYW i had evo 8 cams HKS 272 installed onto my evo 6.

My Power fc "Rev Idle settings":
Rev, Limit 7300 rpm
F/C A/C 1100 rpm
F/C A/C 1150 rpm
IDLE A/C 950 rpm
IDLE A/C 1000 rpm

How do i check the TPS voltage with out making changes to maps etc?

I did have a look at website at para 67 : http://www.paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm#40a
It does say that when you perform the "Idle intialise" you will loose your current maps (which i dont want to as it will cost mee $$ to get it retuned )

Are you saying that you did the idle reset with intialising the power fc ? Just by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting and lettiing car idle for 10min and then 10 min with aircon on and lastly idle 10 min with demister on ?? Is that what you did ? If so did you notice a difference ?

Thanks
Hi

The revs with idle a/c off 950 and idle a/c on 1000 seems OK for 272 cams! Now are you having bouncing revs issue or just throttle hang ?

Try the following settings and see if it helps;
F/C A/C 7500 rpm or 5000 rpm
IDLE A/C 950 rpm
IDLE A/C 950 rpm

Try to adjust the BISS screw when car is wormed up and bring it to 950 rpm, and then just disconnect the batt for a good period and then idle relearn steps. This way you will not lose your tune. But would be better if you’re able to initialize it then do a fresh start with the help of your tuner.

the F/C A/C ; Is Fuel cut recovery rpm, Its When you let off the throttle, the injectors will shut off. This is the rpm where they will turn back on. Now many have reported that higher values fixed the throttle hang issue including myself! Well that's when I was running the PFC D-Jet on my car for the past 4 years! But now back on OEM ecu and never looked back.

Really there is no exact fix for these issues with PFC been there done that ! its all about trial and error ! so hope you can come over it yourself or with the help of your tuner

To check tps volt simply Highlight "ETC" and then choose "SENSOR/SW CHECK" the standard should be around .62~.72 that's with ignition key on ON position only
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:31 PM

Hi

The revs with idle a/c off 950 and idle a/c on 1000 seems OK for 272 cams! Now are you having bouncing revs issue or just throttle hang ?

Try the following settings and see if it helps;
IDLE A/C 950 rpm
IDLE A/C 950 rpm

Try to adjust the BISS screw when car is wormed up and bring it to 950 rpm, and then just disconnect the batt for a good period and then idle relearn steps. This way you will not lose your tune. But would be better if you’re able to initialize it then do a fresh start with the help of your tuner.

the F/C A/C ; Is Fuel cut recovery rpm, Its When you let off the throttle, the injectors will shut off. This is the rpm where they will turn back on. Now many have reported that higher values fixed the throttle hang issue including myself! Well that's when I was running the PFC D-Jet on my car for the past 4 years! But now back on OEM ecu and never looked back.

Really there is no exact fix for these issues with PFC been there done that ! its all about trial and error ! so hope you can come over it yourself or with the help of your tuner

To check tps volt simply Highlight "ETC" and then choose "SENSOR/SW CHECK" the standard should be around .62~.72 that's with ignition key on ON position only

Hi

Yeah when car is warmed up i do sometimes (seldom) encounter rev bounce from 1000-1500rpm and when i hit the accelator pedal it stops (occurs sometime not all the time). The car never stalls tho. I have no issues with stalling.

If i increase both F/C A/C will that affect my tuned maps in any way ?
And if i drop the idle to 900rpm (will that give me a loopier idle from the 272's )

I will try to adjust the BISS screw and perform the learning steps. Will turning the biss screw clockwise increase idle or decrease idle ?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm sorry to be off topic, but this idle issue seems common with the power FC, why don't you use a stock ECU & tune it?
Such stand alone belong the old days, prior to ECUflash!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM

Hi

Yeah when car is warmed up i do sometimes (seldom) encounter rev bounce from 1000-1500rpm and when i hit the accelator pedal it stops (occurs sometime not all the time). The car never stalls tho. I have no issues with stalling.

If i increase both F/C A/C will that affect my tuned maps in any way ?
And if i drop the idle to 900rpm (will that give me a loopier idle from the 272's )

I will try to adjust the BISS screw and perform the learning steps. Will turning the biss screw clockwise increase idle or decrease idle ?

Thanks in advance
Hi Gavi101,

the bounce in your case I think its because of the cams, but no stalling issue is very good as that is another problem.

No it will not effect your map at all, you can drop it but to an extend the it copes with your cams, as lower than that and the car will stall ! but you can. Also you can try and lower your timing at Idle. check yours by the commander and see degree its set to ? and try going lower degree at a time.

clockwise decrease

Last edited by sound77; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
I'm sorry to be off topic, but this idle issue seems common with the power FC, why don't you use a stock ECU & tune it?
Such stand alone belong the old days, prior to ECUflash!
Hi Foxbat,

Well it had its golden days frankly ! as you said before the ECUFlash all the other standalone's will coast you a fortune to get and tune ! so this was the best affordable unit really. My self I am back on ECUFlash installed and tuned by my self ! and now tuning Evo's in Oman.

Omar