Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Copper Spark Plug for IX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Copper Spark Plug for IX?

Does anyone know where i can find or the part number to copper spark plugs for the evo 9's? the 8 heads are slightly smaller. Or a better cost effective alternative to the iridium plugs. I have a high HP car on E85.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

dont cheap out on plugs in said "high hp e85 car"? $50 for plugs isnt squat compared to the damage that could be done by running the wrong plugs
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

do not try to run copper plugs on a 9 head it will not work and you will just waste your money. buy the iridiums.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by skevo8
Does anyone know where i can find or the part number to copper spark plugs for the evo 9's? the 8 heads are slightly smaller. Or a better cost effective alternative to the iridium plugs. I have a high HP car on E85.
I've searched high and low - I couldn't find any coppers that are long enough for the Evo 9 head.
Talk to MAPerformance about the Denso IKH22 or IKH24's, they are about $10 each.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couple lower cost options for you:

http://www.maperformance.com/denso-i...l#.USp_x1dUqrA

http://www.maperformance.com/ngk-las...l#.USp_y1dUqrA
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Couple lower cost options for you:

Careful Chris, under no circumstances should this plug be considered for a IX running E85:

E85 burns cooler than gasoline as-is, and cooler plugs just tend to foul and misfire, while delivering no benefit in return. I strongly recommend using factory heat range plugs in E85 applications.

This plug would be the correct alternative in the proper heat range:
http://www.maperformance.com/ngk-las...l#.USp_y1dUqrA[/QUOTE]

But ...

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
dont cheap out on plugs in said "high hp e85 car"?
I agree, and will likewise point out that one is fooling himself in thinking using a conventional plug will save money. In my experience, the iridium plugs last 2-3X longer, which negates short term cost savings. Additionally, the iridium plugs require less energy to fire, which is a benefit.

There are ways to save money and ways not. This way is mostly a dead end, over a few peanuts.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by skevo8
Here is the only copper plug I have found that works on the IX.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10361140-post288.html
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Careful Chris, under no circumstances should this plug be considered for a IX running E85:

E85 burns cooler than gasoline as-is, and cooler plugs just tend to foul and misfire, while delivering no benefit in return. I strongly recommend using factory heat range plugs in E85 applications.
Not to argue, but I've been running this plug on E85 for over 8K miles now. Roughly 6K miles were at 520hp, and the last 2K miles are at over 800hp. I pulled them out last week and they still look excellent. The only time they ever misfired was when I was idling rich after installing S3s and was working on the tune. They cleaned up and ran great after everything was dialed in. The stock heat range plugs may possibly run better, but I'm hesitant to run them in the 800-900hp power level.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Reporting your own observation isn't being argumentative at all. That this plug has an iridium center electrode probably makes it more forgiving than the copper equivalent, but I view the notion of going a step colder (much less two) as suspect for just about any street driven application where E85 is used, and I'll tell you why ...

I've used and advocated one-step cooler copper plugs for performance use since I began fiddling with the car some 8.5 years ago, and swapped over to E85 about 3 or so years ago. During that time, I've swapped others to E85 and tuned them. In one car that had a full-time EGT gauge, I witnessed a reduction in EGT of 100+C at closed loop operation just by switching from 93 octane gasoline to E85 with no other changes. That represents a substantial decrease in combustion temperatures.

After pondering this realization and how it would affect plug electrode temperatures, I swapped plugs back to the factory heat range, and immediately observed an improvement in off-idle torque and response. Over time, I also realized the plugs lasted much longer (still haven't needed changing), seemed to get better fuel economy, and I've experienced no detriment in performance or observable change in knock characteristics (using 40psi boost).

Based upon my observations, I've seen no advantages, and only disadvantages in running cooler plugs with E85. YMMV, and things may be different for 800-900 drag applications, but I feel quite confident in making recommendations based upon my findings for just about any competently tuned, street driven E85 application.

Just my $0.02.
The following users liked this post:
R. Mutt (Mar 5, 2016)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what spark plugs do I use in my IX 2.4L 10.1 cr goal is 800-900 high boost and keep it at the 552awhp it's at right now on low boost!!??

The more I read about sparkplugs. The more I get confused on what to use.
Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I was actually just going to order a bunch of copper plugs lol.....I run 94 octane, so i believe i'll stay with a few steps colder.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2006GSR
So what spark plugs do I use in my IX 2.4L 10.1 cr goal is 800-900 high boost and keep it at the 552awhp it's at right now on low boost!!??
Where you are right now, I see no good reason to go colder with any plug, much less a copper plug. You'll need to make several changes to reach the 800+whp level.

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
I was actually just going to order a bunch of copper plugs lol.....I run 94 octane, so i believe i'll stay with a few steps colder.
'A few steps' is a huge jump, and there is no need to go 'a few steps colder'. Even one step colder is plenty for street gasoline.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Where you are right now, I see no good reason to go colder with any plug, much less a copper plug. You'll need to make several changes to reach the 800+whp level.

'A few steps' is a huge jump, and there is no need to go 'a few steps colder'. Even one step colder is plenty for street gasoline.
Like what kind of chmages are we talking about?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

the lfr6a-11 would be a higher heat plug not colder but would it be a good one to use on a high hp e85 car i would be interested in these. i use stock heat range stock ix plugs from the dealership with a stock ignition with hksdli 2 and achieved the numbers in my sig with that set up. i never really had any misfire issues. when the car comes back out for the spring going to get a spoolin up non cdi to go with my hks dli set up, that is going to give me some good spark. a long time ago i used the lfr6a-11 plug on my turbo spec v back in the day every auto part store carry's them and they are cheap. i always had in the back of my mind hey these plugs on my evo look like the ones from my spec v but are iridium.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2006GSR
Like what kind of chmages are we talking about?
Definitely injectors, probably fuel system, cams, etc., which is why it seems unexpected to be talking about the cost of plugs, but that's a different discussion.

Originally Posted by MRfabolous
the lfr6a-11 would be a higher heat plug not colder but would it be a good one to use on a high hp e85 car....
I don't know that I'd go hotter using E85 (factory heat range should be ok), but I've observed only drawbacks going colder.

Quick Reply: Copper Spark Plug for IX?