Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX weird sound after new clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo IX weird sound after new clutch installed

Just installed a new set of clutch (Ogura racing super single) 2 days ago.
Please see the video for the detail of the sound

It happened when i fully pressed the clutch pedal, engage any gear and slowly release it until certain level, sound appeared, and disappear at certain level before fully releasing the clutch pedal.

From the video, i put my ipad on the passenger side floor and slowly parked my car into the house. And after that, i engaged the handbrake and engaged 1st gear and do as what ive describe above, and the sound is clearly heard.

If i press and depress the clutch pedal with a normal shifting speed on like 2nd gear onwards while on the road, the sound wont appear. When i try to balance the clutch while moving slowly, on 1st or reverse, then the sound will appear clearly.

Also, the engine will die off occasionally ONLY when i on AC and come to a stop with a slow speed/low rpm. Is like when coming to a stop, press the clutch, and neutral the gear, release the clutch, then engine shut off. Not sure if it had something to do with the above sound. But previously it never happen to be like this, the worst only rpm fluctuating. Without AC, nothing happen.

FYI, i had not drive pass 3k rpm since this new clutch installed cause i am still on a run in and after noticing the sound, i afraid it might broke something.

Also, surprisingly, the sound cannot be clearly heard outside the car. But very loud and clear inside the car. Thus unable me to detect where is the sound coming from. But i suspect was somewhere underneath the car, could be drive shaft, axle, etc.

Last edited by clanzkiller; Mar 31, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:22 AM

Bump.
Hearsay that it was from the new clutch plate surface that producing the sound. And it will minimize after long run, but not disappear. Can someone who had installed new clutches like exedy, orc, os giken to confirm this?
So far nothing happen beside this sound.

Also, a lighter flywheel can caused engine shut off randomly?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, my ACT 6puck clutch makes exactly the same noise only when you release the clutch SLOWLY ( take off, reverse ) and sometimes it happens at 2~3 gear if I don't rev-match perfectly. what kind of clutch you have?

This noise is pretty common issue for twin/ triple/ 6puck or any other clutches that have harsh engagement ( such as heavy duty pressure plate ). I have no idea what clutch you have, but that noise tells you that your clutch has no mid-point. It's like Grab or Go, no slipping.

You have to get used to your clutch, and find out the exact point of your clutch. Don't drive your clutch like it's stock clutch ( don't slip too much, if you slip it like a stock clutch, it will make that grinding noise ) Though, it wouldn't break anything so don't worry too much until you get used to it .

That noise will never go away lol and since my car is DD, 6puck unsprung is too damn hard to drive and makes a lot of noise so I just bought organic clutch wihch is non HD lol.

* English is not my 1st langauge. Please excuse my poor english *

Last edited by akqowns; Apr 4, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:48 AM

Thanks alot akgowns for your explanation. Now i'm relieved.

I'm using Ogura Racing Clutch (ORC) Super Single,
http://www.nengun.com/orc/409-series...e-clutch-400ps

I am just worry that it is not from the clutch but from other component. Really thank you for that.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clanzkiller: I have the EXACT problem you described. Everything you described, I have identical problems. I have an OS Giken TS2B clutch kit in my Evo IX, with only about 500 miles on it. It is not chatter; it makes chatter when pedal is fully depressed, but that is to be expected because this is a twin-plate clutch, and I've had chatter with Exedy, ACT, etc. I have not figured out what the sound is caused by, but it has done it since it was first installed, and still does it under the conditions you described after 500 miles of break-in use.

I have an OS Giken twin-plate clutch kit in my 06 Subaru Impreza WRX STi also, but it does NOT make this sound. Both my Subaru and Evo use the OS Giken movement alteration kit, to convert pull-type to push-type, but only the Evo makes this sound. It is very bizarre. I never had this sound with ACT or Exedy clutches, and the fact that it doesn't make this sound with the OS Giken in my Subaru makes me wonder what the hell it is caused by.

clanzkiller: does your Ogura still make the sound like in your video after driving for months? Please let me know!

Thank you.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 03:45 AM

Touge86,

Yes the sound still with my clutch and i am still driving it. So far nothing had happened but recently after racing with some random guy on a traffic, there is a noise (like valve lifter) when rpm above 2.2k and the higher the rpm, the louder and faster it ticks. It only happened when any gear is engaged. On neutral, no matter how hard slow/fast i rev to 5-6k, the sound doesnt appear.
I doubt is bearing because it doesnt happen when neutral. It should be something related to rpm, and when gear is engaged.