Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch pedal vibrations and then no clutch

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal vibrations and then no clutch

I've seen lots of similar posts but not many OP's actually posted critical information as to what the problem was when this happened.

A little bit of background.

So I picked up new Engine, Clutch and Tranny from Buschurs, about 3 weeks ago now, the tranny received Buschwacker Stage 1 treatment, new TOB and new 2nd and 3rd Gears.

We've installed the Exedy Twin Plate HD clutch, mating the Flywheel and Clutch balance marks, then getting the tranny on, all worked nicely.

After getting it all ready, filled with fluids, the car drove nicely, my previously adjusted clutch pedal still felt right, there was no dragging engagement and there was a little bit of slack when letting off the clutch pedal slightly, that's how I like it, I don't want it to engage right away, I like a little bit of play.

I noticed that first gear is somewhat hard to get in, but once you're on it, all other gears were smooth and easy to change.

Riding casually for about a week, I started noticing slight vibrations when depressing the pedal gradually, as if you had stages of depression there, it feels as if the pedal is vibrating, but once all the way depressed it was fine. So I didn't think much of it, after reading lots of posts that this happens even in new cars and people just ignored it.

About two days before the very bad happened, I noticed that I no longer have that slack/play when clutch depressed all the way, right after I was letting it off slowly, it'd grip, that's not how it was adjusted so it made me a bit worry and I adjusted the clutch pedal more, so I have that slack/play instead of instant grip.

I went for a test drive, when down shifting from 4th to 3rd, was going slow, but shifted down to get in the turn w/ some takeaway power, the 3rd engaged really hard and I could feel syncro/gear grind, even after the clutch was depressed all the way, I didn't know why it happened, but when I tried and shift to 4th, it wouldn't let me, felt as if the clutch wasn't disengaging, so I limped back home in 3rd (was about 1/2 mile from home).

I did the clutch-dragging test from TRE, clutch depressed (still vibration, but you could feel before and now, that the clutch wasn't being depressed/released all the way, and try and get it in gear, so I felt the car wanting to move and gear wouldn't go in.

We took the car back to my buddies shop w/ clutch-less shifting and the car sits there, planning on starting to pull the tranny out today and see what is going on, when peeking through that Tranny hole, we saw TOB vibrating when clutch being depressed.

Slave cylinder bled and clutch pedal's been adjusted, and for those who have any ideas what it might be, let me know.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I think we found the problem, not sure what the long term damage is going to be, but the seemed to be two issues.

I'm not sure if I'm correctly guessing it, but I think the vibrations were due to flywheel screws that attach to the clutch weren't tight all the way on one side, letting go off the pressure plate there, thus making it look and probably feel as if the pressure plate was warped/bent, so when rotating it caused it to vibrate. If someone can confirm if that would happen.

Second, when I detached the tranny from the clutch, the retaining ring just fell out, whether it was due to what other people experience by not having "clutch fork stop" when upgrading clutches or that it no longer was flat and instead one side of the pressure plate was tighter then the other.

Not entirely sure if my clutch is messed up, but I'm putting a new TOB, Retaining Ring and Clutch Fork Stop so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Attached are the pics showing pressure plate unevenness. Once I re-torqued the clutch screws, all became even again.

Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

odd

You didn't hang the trans by the input shaft in the friction disks did you?
Attached Thumbnails Clutch pedal vibrations and then no clutch-friction-disks.jpg  
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

No, that was when it was taken off and due to the screws being loose it probably dropped a little after taking off the tranny.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having the simiar problem now, my clutch pedal vibrates, exedy twin and my gears dont go in, when i driveit clutchless and i step onit it pulls hard, doesnt slip at all, but then gears dont go in, slave and master cylinders looks good! :/ help plz
Old Jun 11, 2017, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump, having this issue after a 4th gear pull to redline.