Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

lifting head??

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifting head??

hey guys i was seeing if you can help determine what happened to this head gasket. quick background, 05 evo 8 with 95k. mainly bolt ons and turbo has 20g stamped on it, previous owner couldnt tell me anything. i can fill the radiator, drive a day or so and i couldnt see the fluid in the radiator anymore. no over heating, coolant bottle stayed full. i went out for a nice country drive, boost set at 24psi and under full load at 7k i pushed out a freeze plug.

looking at this gasket would you be able to tell if its head lift, warped head, or an improperly torqued head. looks like someone replaced the head gasket with an mls but used factory head bolts so i am not sure if they just reused the factory head bolts or bought new ones (my guess is they reused the original ones)

here is a pic of the gasket, the number 4 cylinder matched it while the rest still had traces of cooper spray

Old May 16, 2013, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

My guess is it blew the freeze plug under compression (blow thru). Improper head torque and studs were probably reused. Was there coolant in the oil?
Old May 16, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Czarcasm
My guess is it blew the freeze plug under compression (blow thru). Improper head torque and studs were probably reused. Was there coolant in the oil?
Have Not Drained The Oil Yet. But There Wasnt Any Visible Signs Of Coolant/oil Contamination On Dip StIck, Oil Cap Or overflow
Old May 16, 2013, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say the issue was with cylinder 1 or 4. the most right cylinder. You can see carbon has blown across the gasket indicating that the head lifted in that area.

I AM NO EXPERT