Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Choppy at WOT.

Old May 17, 2013, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Choppy at WOT.

So car felt like it was losing power when i got on it and got a little choppy at WOT when i was on it.

Cleaned out my MAF, ( it was pretty dirty ). And decided to switch out plugs because it has been a bit.

Now it has the power it alwes had before it was acting up. but it is still choppy at WOT when i am on it. My low and mid feel great with no issues. The only codes i am throwing are P0401 EGR Flow insufficient, and P0243 wastgate malfunction.

I do not have a Boost solenoid. never came with the car and that is why i an getting the P0243 code. ( side note if any one has a spare lying around plz get a hold of me lol ).

The P0401 EGR code is new. I just felt around the EGR valve it feels like the vac lines are there and with it idling good and low and mid range i dont have any reason to thin otherwise. So i guessing it is clogged and i need to remove it and clean it out. And or by a new one.

Would my EGR valve throwing a code be interfering with my car at upper on WOT? Or is this a separate problem?

The car has a Walbro Fuel pump, Full hard piping ( injen ), Big FMIC, And full 3in exost with a test pipe. I also have Zetronix mentoring with Wideband O2. I boost is not dropping and my AFR is around 10.6-10.8 upper end WOT. Car was running good about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Check for boost leaks,your afr should be at 11.0-11.2 and get a EvoScan 1.3U cable and start doing data logs and you can also disable the egr function too just do a little search on the forum.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by studioface
Check for boost leaks,your afr should be at 11.0-11.2 and get a EvoScan 1.3U cable and start doing data logs and you can also disable the egr function too just do a little search on the forum.
Fixed the EGR code. Still choppy at wot. I know I need the cable but dose not help me right now.. Any one local to lynnwood have the cable?
Old May 19, 2013, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possibly ignition issue? had the same issue and i changed the plugs and it solved it 100%
Old May 19, 2013, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Have you checked to make sure the WG is functioning properly?

How are you controlling boost? MBC? EBC? Since you have no boost solenoid I assume MBC. What PSI are you seeing throughout the pull?

Have you logged in evoscan?

I dont think the EGR would cause the upper end breakup but it could.

I assume you are on pump gas?

First thinng you need to do is log in evoscan. Thats probably where your fix will be. Next I would check for boost leaks. There are tons of things that could cause this,
Old May 20, 2013, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say check the plugs and also what do you mean by choppy?
do you mean the rpms jump around or just rough revving?
Old May 20, 2013, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

So EGR code I fixed. ( damn split vac line lol ). And when I say it it breaking apart at WOT. It it rough throw the rpm range.

I have a MBC, and boost is set at 26. I just switched out plugs. But I went from a heat rang colder to a stock plug. I am also thinking it is a ignition problum. I am not throwing. Miss fire code but I can be sure it is not missing tell I log it. I going to order the cabe tonight.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

So update. I boost leaked checked the car. I found out the EGR vale is leaking internally pasted 20lbs of boost. Never heard if the valve body itself leaking. So ordered the block of plate we will see if that fizz everything.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles on your coils and wires? I have less mods but at wot I too had choppy, ignition break up like symptoms. I replaced my coils, wires and plugs with low miles oem ones (new plugs) and I was good to go.

I also used dielectric grease inside each plug boot...

Just a suggestion. GL tracking down your problem(s)!!
Old May 26, 2013, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well did the EGR deleat still have the issue going to boost leak test the car agen and go from there.

I thinking it might be ignition but start with the small stuff.

And car has 100k on the body.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Seancj
Well did the EGR deleat still have the issue going to boost leak test the car agen and go from there.

I thinking it might be ignition but start with the small stuff.

And car has 100k on the body.
Fix it. Ended up it was coils