Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bad lifter?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad lifter?

hey guys, long story short, got my head back from the machine shop (they disassembled and reassembled), start the car and have a loud ticking noise. sounds like its coming from the intake side. does not get louder when you remove the oil cap. called the machine shop, they admitted to not placing the lifters in oil or pumping them up. basically they just took them out and put them back in. basically i would like a confirmation before i pull the cams out and change the lifters.
a couple notes: noise has gone down significantly since initial start (started it a couple times on and off). also i took the valve cover off and pushed up on each rocker with a screw driver and every lifter comes up about the same.

here is a video. like i said, its not as loud as it was initially

http://s22.photobucket.com/user/klip...f2c22.mp4.html
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
It sounds like a lifter. What you are hearing is the lifter body collapsing completely against its spring pressure and internal stop. It isn't necessary to fill lifters with oil upon reassembly, but it makes for quieter valve action at initial startup. Unless the lifter is physically blocked due to internal sludge, this should remedy itself with 15-20 minutes of freeway cruising. Do not rev the engine hard until the noise has abated.

If the noise persists, you may need to remove the lifters for a good cleaning or consider replacement.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
It sounds like a lifter. What you are hearing is the lifter body collapsing completely against its spring pressure and internal stop. It isn't necessary to fill lifters with oil upon reassembly, but it makes for quieter valve action at initial startup. Unless the lifter is physically blocked due to internal sludge, this should remedy itself with 15-20 minutes of freeway cruising. Do not rev the engine hard until the noise has abated.

If the noise persists, you may need to remove the lifters for a good cleaning or consider replacement.
thank you for your help, the noise has gone down significantly but i can still hear a relatively louder than normal ticking, i guess new lifters are in my future. thanks again