Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch noise/pedal stuck

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch noise/pedal stuck

when I press down my clutch pedal I notice a slight metal grinding noise, as soon as I realease the clutch the sound goes away. If I put the car in neutral wit clutch pedal up there is no sound but when I press down the clutch the noise starts.
while driving almost home the clutch pedal just very suddenly stuck down from to the floor and wud not come back up. After turning off the car for 5 mins I lifted it with my hand, it came up but would not go back down. when I try to press down on my clutch it feels like my brake pedal an would let me press down a lil but it wud not go down past about an inch.

what can be the cause of this?

I also notich the fluid in my clutch master cylinder is on the low side.

my car is a evo5 gsr , 2.3L clutch exedy twin disk
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The noise is from the clutch dick "floating." It's a normal sound for twin and triple disk to make the noise when the clutch is depressed.

As far is your pedal issue, sounds like you need to bleed the clutch again, and also check for leaks. The pedal should not stay down.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:52 AM

thanks chu. I thought of the same thing it has to be a hydraulic fluid leak. I will get someone to come bleed it an hope that's the problem.

I just noticed that the fork for the slave cylinder is stuck fully outward, meaning that its engaged which I was told is a bad sign and means its a damaged clutch release bearing. idk much abt this kinda stuff. I just hope it wont be an expensive fix.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Clutches are simple, either they work or they don't. So if it isn't a hydraulic problem - clutch time.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

I would also check to make sure the tob is still engaged, its a common problem with this still of tob to pull itself out, and apparently even more common with the exedy multidisc clutches. I am probably wrong but its an easy check and I like to check all of my bases starting with the easiest when diagnosing. all you do is look up through the inspection hole and just verify the tob is still in place. if it has pulled itself out you will see either the ring of the tob or if the ring has popped off then you will just see the little "fingers" where it should seat outside of the fingers of the pressure plate.