Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Axle?

Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Axle?

So for a good while my car has been making this noise, coming from the front drivers side wheel. It sounds like something is rubbing, like theres a single point of contact on my wheel, and only hits in one spot during the rotation. When, I speed up, the noise speeds up. When I slow down, the noise slows down.

I pulled my wheel off and discovered there was some metal shaved off the balance weight on the inside of the wheel, and what looked like my brake line (SS) rubbing it. Makes sense, so I zip tie it out of the way. Problem solved.... Nope.

So I pull my brake pads out, scuff them up a bit on the sidewalk hoping it will smooth any rough edges causing the noise. Put everything back on and.... still there.

So now I'm thinking it's my axel. I take the wheel hub and jiggle it around and I get a loud clunking noise. Not good. I made sure it wasn't the rotor slapping around, and it continued, coming straight from where the axel connects to the trans.

So now I'm convinced I have a broken axel/something of the sort. Provided is a video for you to hear what it sounds like while driving.

Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Heat shield rubbing the rotor?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 08:54 AM

I looked but I didn't see anything touching anywhere.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Turing the wheel back and forth is only going to tell you how much play there is in the transmission and transfer case. I suggest pulling the caliper and rotor, breaking the strut connection and pulling the axle. Now you can check out the axle and wheel bearing in detail.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:32 PM

So I pulled off the wheel again, caliper, rotor and brake shield. No signs or rubbing anywhere on it, except for on the brake line like I previously stated. Very minimal wear on the line, most of the wear is on the weight on the inner wheel. So I pulled the line further out of the way and wrapped it in electrical tape… Still, the same noise persists. I don't think it's the brake line at this point, but I can't see anywhere else the noise may be doing from.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:31 PM

To put an end to the thread, I found out what the problem was. I thought it was something stupid/easy fix at first, but came to find out the inside of my wheel was bent to hell and that was causing it to rub on the strut at a sing point of contact. I'm now on a conquest to finding new wheels.