Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

throttle hang issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
throttle hang issue

Im having a throttle hang issue after the installation of a map rev3 intake manifold and mil spec 65mm tb. I installed a phenolic spacer as well at the time. First thing i checked was for vacuum leaks and boost leaks. Had tons at the spacer and found i needed to run with two oem gaskets. Ordered those took it back apart and reinstalled. I also had a vacuum leak at the top of the tb under the vacuum ports. I used a little rtv as recommended by abby at mil spec since they were out of new 65mm gaskets. When i reinstalled everything i evenn double cchecked the throttle cable tension and tensioned it properly. The throttle cable is routed where it should be and not kinked. Its also not an ecuflash problem. At idle on startup its normal, once driven and coming to a stopthe idle wants to hang at 1700 unless i stick my foot under the pedal and slightly pull it up then idle will drop to normal, so ive narrowed it down to either cable or tb. Tb i bought off a member on here. Also if im in fifth and coming to a stop if i go straight to neutral instead of downshifting idle will drop to normal around 1k but any other time it sticks. I can even see it on my wideband when coasting in gear, instead of going full lean --- it will hang around 15.3 and feel like im lightly pressing the gas until i lift the pedal upp and then the wbb goes full lean and the car starts to decel normally any ideas?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awdordie
Im having a throttle hang issue after the installation of a map rev3 intake manifold and mil spec 65mm tb. I installed a phenolic spacer as well at the time. First thing i checked was for vacuum leaks and boost leaks. Had tons at the spacer and found i needed to run with two oem gaskets. Ordered those took it back apart and reinstalled. I also had a vacuum leak at the top of the tb under the vacuum ports. I used a little rtv as recommended by abby at mil spec since they were out of new 65mm gaskets. When i reinstalled everything i evenn double cchecked the throttle cable tension and tensioned it properly. The throttle cable is routed where it should be and not kinked. Its also not an ecuflash problem. At idle on startup its normal, once driven and coming to a stopthe idle wants to hang at 1700 unless i stick my foot under the pedal and slightly pull it up then idle will drop to normal, so ive narrowed it down to either cable or tb. Tb i bought off a member on here. Also if im in fifth and coming to a stop if i go straight to neutral instead of downshifting idle will drop to normal around 1k but any other time it sticks. I can even see it on my wideband when coasting in gear, instead of going full lean --- it will hang around 15.3 and feel like im lightly pressing the gas until i lift the pedal upp and then the wbb goes full lean and the car starts to decel normally any ideas?
well I don't have a aftermarket throttle body or aftermarket intakemanifold but you more than likely have to change the throttle body shaft seals. Then do a boostleak test and spray the throttle body butterfly throttle plate because it probably has carbon deposits which causes the throttle plate to hang because it doesn't have enough clearance space to keep itself from binding up.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Either cable or throttle plate spring. If you have to physically pull the pedal back, I would guess its the throttle cable. Did you lube it up? Maybe its binding inside the jacket as opposed to how its run.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check the throttle body spring. Take the throttle cable off and open the TB by hand and see if it snaps back nice and smooth consistently. If not just take the two screws out of the and spin the spring until it tightens up. If it is ok then maybe it is the cable binding somewhere. Good luck!