Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bypassing clutch

Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bypassing clutch

Ok so my shop just dropped in my engine and they informed me that they need to bypass the clutch to prevent the trust bearing from breaking since I have an aftermarket clutch. ( act street ). So basically I can no longer push the clutch pedal down to start the car. If I push the clutch pedal down and if the car is in gear, the thrust bearing will snap. Is there anyway to have my car back to factory settings? I dont want to accidently push the clutch down and blow my motor. They said there is no way to go around this. This is the only solution.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Huh?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Were they sniffing yarn spinner spray?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Im not mechanically inclined so I dont know much about this stuff. Im just going off what they told me.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what youre saying is they built your engine, ****ed it up, and are saying if you start it, you will mess it up and not our fault
Old Dec 12, 2013, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Errr people have been doing this for years. Especially the DSM guys. Its been said many many times.. the reason why they do this (maybe myth or fact) is cause they believe there is less added strain on the thrust bearings, which will lead to crankwalk. Some mentioned it was due to having a heavy aftermarket clutch that puts more force against the bearings causing wear over time. A few mentioned low oil pressure around the crank/bearings during initial start up, thereby pushing in the clutch would cause more strain. Others have said with or without the bypass not having any problem with crankwalk or otherwise.

Its a old DSM myth as far as most is concerned. Since the Evo has improved bearing design, it would lead one to believe this mod is just not necessary for the sake of engine longevity. Now if you had a remote start, or just dont want to push in the clutch to start, then by all means, do it. But be warned if you forget just once, you will ram right into your garage/other car/pole/etcetc.

One other fact is some NHRA tracks say to start the car without the clutch to pass inspection. I havent experienced this one but it has been mentioned before. Another is in rally racing, if you get stuck in deep water, you can put the car in gear, and start your way out while also starting the motor. Really, there seems to be no evidence of being an effective mod.

That said, my Evo 5 came with it bypassed. I still push in the clutch to start it. Habit..
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
? Never heard this one ?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Dafuq
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wang4u
Errr people have been doing this for years. Especially the DSM guys. Its been said many many times.. the reason why they do this (maybe myth or fact) is cause they believe there is less added strain on the thrust bearings, which will lead to crankwalk. Some mentioned it was due to having a heavy aftermarket clutch that puts more force against the bearings causing wear over time. A few mentioned low oil pressure around the crank/bearings during initial start up, thereby pushing in the clutch would cause more strain. Others have said with or without the bypass not having any problem with crankwalk or otherwise.

Its a old DSM myth as far as most is concerned. Since the Evo has improved bearing design, it would lead one to believe this mod is just not necessary for the sake of engine longevity. Now if you had a remote start, or just dont want to push in the clutch to start, then by all means, do it. But be warned if you forget just once, you will ram right into your garage/other car/pole/etcetc.

One other fact is some NHRA tracks say to start the car without the clutch to pass inspection. I havent experienced this one but it has been mentioned before. Another is in rally racing, if you get stuck in deep water, you can put the car in gear, and start your way out while also starting the motor. Really, there seems to be no evidence of being an effective mod.

That said, my Evo 5 came with it bypassed. I still push in the clutch to start it. Habit..
Exactly. Thats what they told me that it would cause crank walk. Actually what happened last time is they fired the engine up for a couple seconds and caused the bearing to break because apparently " the clutch was too strong for the engine and it broke the bearing ". Now there precaution is to bypass the clutch and there is no way around this.

However, I know many people who have aftermarket clutches on there built blocks and do not have to follow this ridiculous pathway. What is a way around this? I know its a stupid question but its whats left for me to deal with.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Pay for the halfa$$ service, tow the evo to RRE
Old Dec 13, 2013, 08:51 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by 42revoincali
Actually what happened last time is they fired the engine up for a couple seconds and caused the bearing to break because apparently " the clutch was too strong for the engine and it broke the bearing "

Basically, they messed up and are complete morons. Thrust bearings do not "break", they wear. Even in the crankwalk prone 2G cars it took 40k+ miles. If it failed that quick the block or crank was machined terribly, something was assembled incorrectly or maybe they just didn't prime it or forgot to put oil in the car. Who knows....

Get your car back and run. They are screwing you and talking technical jabber to confuse you while applying a band aid solution to their terrible work. You need to have a reputable shop look at the car is the only real solution here.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 42revoincali
What is a way around this? I know its a stupid question but its whats left for me to deal with.
Run far away from that shop and never return. That shop is just itching to screw you over it seems.

They put a bandaid on their shoddy work and you have to pay the price.

Do yourself a favor and never go back there for anything
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

They are completely raping you and bull****ting you...Look at all the cars running even heavier duty clutches and drive them everyday with the clutch switch enabled like mine and no issues....Theyre just trying to point the blame. Get your car out of there ASAP and do not let them touch it or do not pay them anymore.....They are ripping you off and taking full advantage of you
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the same clutch and have driven with it on a stock engine for 50k miles. I do not have the clutch bypassed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which shop is this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bypassing clutch