Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which clutch QM TWIN 6-leg or 8-leg

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which clutch QM TWIN 6-leg or 8-leg

So, my stock clutch finally started to slip after 50k of making 400HP and 380tq. I'm very satisfied with the stock clutch and how it survived for so long but I figure it's time to upgrade to a twin style clutch. I called MAP and talked prices and we came up with a couple options for my car. MAP told me that the QM TWIN 6-leg would be ideal for
my set up and it's on sale for $1345, so with everything I need it's $200 cheaper then the 8-leg newer style QM twin. My question for all of you is which clutch would you purchase?? I don't mind spending $200 more for a clutch as long as it last for a good period of time but I also don't mind saving a few hundred dollars.

Bryan
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Do the 8leg, street version. The old 6leg style is not fun to drive. The new 8leg street version is very rational to drive on a daily. I just upgraded from the 6leg, to the new 8leg and I love the 8leg version. So nice to drive. You will still have driveline noise associated with the clutch. So if you are looking for a super quite clutch go with a single plate stock style clutch. If you don't care about the noise roll with the QM Twin 8leg.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

Not to high jack this thread but I will be selling my QM 8-leg 'race version' clutch soon. It has under 300 miles on it and maybe 30 track passes. PM me if interested. I'll be looking to get around $1000 for everything.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBoz
Do the 8leg, street version. The old 6leg style is not fun to drive. The new 8leg street version is very rational to drive on a daily. I just upgraded from the 6leg, to the new 8leg and I love the 8leg version. So nice to drive. You will still have driveline noise associated with the clutch. So if you are looking for a super quite clutch go with a single plate stock style clutch. If you don't care about the noise roll with the QM Twin 8leg.
Noise won't bother me I just want something that will last and gives me room for more power.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
Not to high jack this thread but I will be selling my QM 8-leg 'race version' clutch soon. It has under 300 miles on it and maybe 30 track passes. PM me if interested. I'll be looking to get around $1000 for everything.

Thank you for the heads up but I want to buy brand new. Why are you gonna sell it if you don't mind me asking??
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bryanf
Thank you for the heads up but I want to buy brand new. Why are you gonna sell it if you don't mind me asking??
I'm buying a Tilton carbon/carbon for drag racing. The QM was a great clutch but I feel the discs are a little heavy for my application.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

I've driven quite a few twins.. honestly if you plan to be under 500 for awhile I'd get an Exedy if you got big things planned then definitely get the 8-leg street version and do a hydraulic accumulator
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XSilverJ
I've driven quite a few twins.. honestly if you plan to be under 500 for awhile I'd get an Exedy if you got big things planned then definitely get the 8-leg street version and do a hydraulic accumulator
Do you mean 500hp or 500tq?? I won't really ever get to the 500tq but HP will be at the 500 mark next summer. I do like the exedy but I have a few friends that ran this clutch and they didn't get much life out of it. I know it really depends on how you drive and how much you beat on it but the QM seems to be able to take some abuse. I don't abuse my car by all means but it would be nice to know that the clutch is capable of handling some hard driving.

Bryan