Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX - Noise after timing belt/water pump

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX - Noise after timing belt/water pump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHeNF...ature=youtu.be

Getting a weird noise at idle after I just replaced my timing belt/water pump. I used the gates belts and GMB water pump. Any thoughts on what it could be?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:59 PM

Belt too tight, timing off or mivec gear set wrong is all I can figure.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:11 PM

What do you mean by setting the MIVEC gear wrong? I lined it up to TDC along with the exhaust cam, was there something I missed?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:11 PM

The rear (mivec/exhaust) cam moves so when it's set it has to be fully retarded.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nope... nothing you missed... it wouldn't rev so cleanly if it was out of time... it would be 6* on the cam and 12 on the crank if i remember right... its pretty common that the ckp trigger plate gets bent so thats something to check... you can take the pulleys off, pull the plastic case off and start the car... it will run for a while on battery alone. you should be able to pinpoint the noise that way... i have seen a lot of plastic cover get bent, cracked, or the seal removed and start to rub but i cant say thats how this sounds... are you sure you didn't cross the water pump bolts? they are always a nightmare for me...
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OneCrazykid
The rear (mivec/exhaust) cam moves so when it's set it has to be fully retarded.
as long as the alignment mark on the VC and the cam gear align it will adjust itself into time... the cam itself doesn't have to orient in any specific position...
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by joseph143
nope... nothing you missed... it wouldn't rev so cleanly if it was out of time... it would be 6* on the cam and 12 on the crank if i remember right... its pretty common that the ckp trigger plate gets bent so thats something to check... you can take the pulleys off, pull the plastic case off and start the car... it will run for a while on battery alone. you should be able to pinpoint the noise that way... i have seen a lot of plastic cover get bent, cracked, or the seal removed and start to rub but i cant say thats how this sounds... are you sure you didn't cross the water pump bolts? they are always a nightmare for me...
I'm pretty sure the water pump bolts are put in correctly, but they got mixed around a little bit on my work surface. I torqued them down and everything is flush with the mounting holes. When putting the lower timing belt cover back on I broke the upper right plastic mounting bracket about halfway off.

When you say to take the pulleys off, you mean the water pump etc. that are driven from the serpentine belt?

EDIT: I'm planning on taking this apart some time in the next couple days when I get the chance. If I take the engine mount off in order to get the upper/lower timing belt covers off, is it safe to start the engine and let it idle without the engine mount reattached?

Last edited by ehall20; Feb 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by joseph143
as long as the alignment mark on the VC and the cam gear align it will adjust itself into time... the cam itself doesn't have to orient in any specific position...
Not what a repeatable shop told my buddy.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd suggest, before tearing everything apart, look at a few of the other many posts here concerning noise with the gates belt.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

If you used bolts that were to long for the water pump pulley then it would rub and tick as well... Tearing it down and starting it literally takes 15minutes... I've never had a noise after an install of a gates belt... Thats not to say they dont have issues but i've done quite a few now... I sware on my life that if your cam gear aligns with the timing mark on the vc there is no possible way it can be out of sync on mivec, unless the deck or head have been cut but even then it wont cause any noise issues...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:35 PM

Looks like it was loose bolts on the water pump pulley. By the time I caught it two of them had backed out and was was loose. I still get a little bit of a whine when I rev it above 4k, and from what I've read on other threads that means the timing belt might be on too tight. Gonna tackle that job soon.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to swap out the belt. My Gates belt was a tad bit to wide.. It was rubbing...