Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel return line fitting @ hanger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel return line fitting @ hanger

All of you guys that are running upgraded fuel feed and return lines how did you connect the return to the pump hanger? -6an line is WAY bigger then the 1/4" nipple that is on top of the hanger for the return line. I don't want to put -6an line on there and use a hose clamp overtightened because its not a clean way to do this and will probably leak and/or break that plastic nipple. My idea is to run -6an line back to the tank and transition into a brass reducer. So go from -6 to 5/16 or 1/4 using one of these reducers and then a short piece of smaller hose from there to the hanger.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...1&pgGrp=catNav

Is there a better way to do this or will this be just fine?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

And I do plan on drilling out the siphon too by the way.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this work?............

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-15117/overview/
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I saw that but I think that needs a lip to rest against and only the siphon fitting from the other side of the tank and the main feed have a lip on them. The main return fitting is just flat plastic with a smooth surface and no lip at all. Plus the feed with the lip uses this one and its supposed to seal better from what I've read on this forum.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-644123

Do you know if that fitting you just posted can be used without a lip on the tube? I'm assuming it can't but I could be wrong. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrainwater
Yeah I saw that but I think that needs a lip to rest against and only the siphon fitting from the other side of the tank and the main feed have a lip on them. The main return fitting is just flat plastic with a smooth surface and no lip at all. Plus the feed with the lip uses this one and its supposed to seal better from what I've read on this forum.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-644123

Do you know if that fitting you just posted can be used without a lip on the tube? I'm assuming it can't but I could be wrong. Thanks.
Thats right the return line is just a clamp on there. Not sure. Interested what others are using...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I just ordered the brass reducers, one that reduces to 5/16 and one that goes to 1/4. I can step down from -6an to 5/16 or 1/4 (which ever one fits better) and use a foot long piece of highend gates fuel hose to go to the return inlet with a worm clamp on there. Still interested in what others have done though.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The OEM feed is 5/16" and the return is 1/4"

http://russellperformance.com/mc/ada...fuel-efi.shtml

-6 AN male to 1/4" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female --641300 for the return

-6 AN Male to 5/16" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female --644110 for the feed
Old Mar 22, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's the kind of fitting I got for the feed line. It has a nut that screws into the bottom of it. That nut sits on the inside lip of the feed port and then the big part on top screws into the nut on the bottom. They sandwich that lip and make a nice seal. If the lip isn't there (like on the return line) what is to keep the fitting from flying off when its under pressure?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's the kind of fitting I got for the feed line. It has a nut that screws into the bottom of it. That nut sits on the inside lip of the feed port and then the big part on top screws into the nut on the bottom. They sandwich that lip and make a nice seal. If the lip isn't there (like on the return line) what is to keep the fitting from flying off when its under pressure?
I think it acts like a compression fitting. I am not sure about that.
What are you doing, just upgrading the lines going to the hard lines for both the feed and return?
If that is what you are doing I don't think you are helping anything, it just looks better. If you are upgrading the feed line you can use the OEM feed for the return, this will hell with flow.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I put in an aeromotive 340, replaced my walbro 255. It needs more flow, at idle you can hear it screaming for more flow lol, and I have a full battery voltage rewire that isn't helping the situation either. I'm going to run -6an feed from the tank to the rail and -6an return from my fuelab fpr to the tank. The stock lines are weak imo and living in Chicago they're old and look corroded. So I'm doing this for performance and integrity, nothing to do with aesthetics. I pulled the hanger out tonight and drilled out the siphon with an extended 1/8 drill bit and that helped dramatically!!! I've seen posts where guys used a 7/64 drill bit and some posts where some used a 9/64 drill bit and 1/8 is right in the middle of those two so I figured it was a safe bet, I was right I've got all the fittings already except the return-to-tank fitting. That's why I asked who knew what would work. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Also Mychailo did a test proving that the stock lines lose approx 13-15 psi in pressure from the tank to the rail so imo this upgrade is a must. He showed that a -6an feed reduced this pressure loss to about 3 psi and an -8an feed reduced it to like 1 psi or something. There's a post on here if you search for it.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I put in an aeromotive 340, replaced my walbro 255. It needs more flow, at idle you can hear it screaming for more flow lol, and I have a full battery voltage rewire that isn't helping the situation either. I'm going to run -6an feed from the tank to the rail and -6an return from my fuelab fpr to the tank. The stock lines are weak imo and living in Chicago they're old and look corroded. So I'm doing this for performance and integrity, nothing to do with aesthetics. I pulled the hanger out tonight and drilled out the siphon with an extended 1/8 drill bit and that helped dramatically!!! I've seen posts where guys used a 7/64 drill bit and some posts where some used a 9/64 drill bit and 1/8 is right in the middle of those two so I figured it was a safe bet, I was right I've got all the fittings already except the return-to-tank fitting. That's why I asked who knew what would work. Thanks.

Oh, OK.....I get it now.
I agree with you about the lines, there are some people who question the benefit but I can't see it. Mychalo's research proves it is helpful.
I think that fitting would work but I can't remember if the return had the push lock clips as well......I think it did. If it did, it must secure to it. Maybe use the other fittings on that page, female push lock to 6an?
I went to 6an on the feed side cause I thought it would be a benefit even though I am only going for around 600whp. I ended up using 3/8"stainless tubing to run under the car and then 6an on both ends and then I used the OEM feed for the return and made everything 6an on both ends of that.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
The OEM feed is 5/16" and the return is 1/4"

http://russellperformance.com/mc/ada...fuel-efi.shtml

-6 AN male to 1/4" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female --641300 for the return

-6 AN Male to 5/16" SAE Quick-Disconnect Female --644110 for the feed
OEM is metric so forget imperial fittings
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

You would think that but that's not true actually. Well they are metric, you are correct about that, but 3/8 fits the feed perfectly (not 5/16) and 1/4 fits the return perfectly. Might be metric but standard seals just fine.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
OEM is metric so forget imperial fittings

I used the 5/16"fitting on the OEM feed and it worked great. Actually got the fitting from Squash Performance.

Quick Reply: Fuel return line fitting @ hanger