Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 8/9 Synchrotech Carbon Synchros

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
EVO 8/9 Synchrotech Carbon Synchros

Many of you may not know of us since we specialize in Honda transmissions. We have been making Honda Carbon Composite Synchros for several years now with great results. Now we are thinking of expanding into the EVO market with carbon lined synchros for the EVO 8/9 5 speed but I'm not sure if there is enough interest to warrant the tooling and production cost. I'm looking for some feedback to see if we should proceed.

Let me know what you think!.... Here is a link with some info on our carbon synchros: http://www.synchrotech-transmissions..._Synchros.html

Originally Posted by Synchrotech
The projected price will be $300 for the 1-5 set. The synchro works as the brake for the gear to synchronize the shaft speed and reduce shift grind during gear engagement. Our carbon composite lining engages the gear more precisely by stopping the gear rotation faster than a stock brass synchro. Testing has shown that they last longer and work better than brass/copper synchros (especially at higher RPMs). Many transmissions now come with carbon synchros OEM and there are TSB updates on Honda transmissions that replace the brass synchro with a carbon synchro to cure shifting issues. Since we have not made the carbon synchros for the EVO yet, I can only tell you about our experience with Honda transmission but the EVO synchro design is very similar to Honda so I would expect similar results. We have sold several thousand sets of our carbon synchros over the past few years with 100% positive feedback.
http://www.synchrotech-transmissions..._Synchros.html
Thank you all for the suggestions. If we proceed, I would anticipate a release date later this year. It will take about 3-4 months for tooling and production of the first batch, then we will need to do some in car testing to get some real world results. I will also contact some of the suggested key EVO rebuilders and send them some samples for review before going to market.

Keep the comments coming! I will follow this thread and update it with any developments.
UPDATE:

The response to this thread is much better than I expected!

I am sending some OEM samples to the manufacturing engineer to have drawings made so I can get an exact quote for tooling and production on the 5 speed 4-7 and 8-9 sets. I should have a quote in a couple weeks and will make the decision at that time.

I really appreciate the input and will keep you all posted as we move forward.

Thanks - David
As soon as I get the quote for tooling and determine the final selling price, I will start a waiting list. We will offer a discount for preorders and not require payment until the parts are ready to ship. The material is the same as what we use on for other makes and models but since this is a new product for the EVO market, we will also give a 90 day money back guarantee for anyone who wants to get in early and order from the first batch.

Update: 06/11/14

We have decided to move forward on production of the EVO 4-9 (5 speed) 3rd, 4th and 5th carbon synchros.

The price for the 3/4/5 set will be $199.95 but for those who want to pre order we will be giving a 20% discount ($159.96 + shipping)

It will be 3-4 months for the tooling and parts production. No payment will be required until the parts are finished and ready to ship.

PM your contact info with your PayPal address and we will start a waiting list for the first batch.
07/11/14 Update:

We ordered the tooling for 1st-2nd carbon synchros for the EVO 5 speed 4-7 and 8-9 . We will have the complete 1-5 sets available in a few months.

The MSRP will be $349.95 and everyone on the waiting list will get a 20% discount on the set
09/10/14 UPDATE: The prototype test samples will be finished in October and the projected release date for the first production batch is early November 2014.

Thank you everyone for your support and patience.

Here is a quick vid of our Pro Series Carbon synchros in action in an EVO trans Built by Jacks Transmissions. Here is a list of mods:

Jackstransmissions 10.5-1 2.4L engine
Ams f1 intake mani
Curt brown head w jun 272's
Sheared exhaust mani
Fp super 99 turbo @ 34psi
Jackstransmissions ultimate ratio 4.0 final drive trans.
Jackstransmissions stage 3 t case. With mfactory front diff
2150cc injectors
Buschur double pumper with inline 044.
Dsmlink v3 ecu on speed density
Quartermaster 7.25 8 leg clutch

http://vid1165.photobucket.com/album...psjmiudyos.mp4

Place your order, Carbon Synchros are here !!!

We now have the 5 speed EVO 4/5/6/7 and 8/9 carbon synchros available and ready to ship. The EVO synchros have been added to our site to make it easier for everyone to place their order. Please click this link or use discount code EVOM for 10% off the synchros. You can also use the code for a Master rebuild kit, LSD or FD set.
http://www.shop.SYNCHROTECH-TRANSMIS...tm?coupon=EVOM

Last edited by Synchrotech; Feb 11, 2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Update
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What'the benefits vs OEM and how long will they last.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in for more info ,how long do the car last compare to an oem .onder hard shifting and lots of power
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Are there any caveats to your "pro-series carbon lined" synchros?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interested! just want to know all benefits and cost?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:54 PM

need more info
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can supply info and proof that that your synchros are superior over OEM then I feel like you'll have a huge market here as these transmissions we have are considered not that great but with no other options it's either yearly rebuilds or dogboxes and I for one as I'm sure almost any drag racing guy here would be all over this upgrade.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The projected price will be $300 for the 1-5 set. The synchro works as the brake for the gear to synchronize the shaft speed and reduce shift grind during gear engagement. Our carbon composite lining engages the gear more precisely by stopping the gear rotation faster than a stock brass synchro. Testing has shown that they last longer and work better than brass/copper synchros (especially at higher RPMs). Many transmissions now come with carbon synchros OEM and there are TSB updates on Honda transmissions that replace the brass synchro with a carbon synchro to cure shifting issues. Since we have not made the carbon synchros for the EVO yet, I can only tell you about our experience with Honda transmission but the EVO synchro design is very similar to Honda so I would expect similar results. We have sold several thousand sets of our carbon synchros over the past few years with 100% positive feedback.
http://www.synchrotech-transmissions..._Synchros.html
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I can tell you this.. if you can get one of the highly respectable Evo transmission rebuilders (TRE, Jacks, Shep, Etc.) to praise and use your synchros that will make their transmissions they sell to customers better, then you'll have no problem in this market
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Very interesting... I would buy this in a blink of an eye once it has been tested to be superior than the OEM synchros.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Synchros are the downside to Mitsubishi transmissions. If you can make them better than oem and last longer then you will have a winner. I need a new 4th synchro and for 300 I would buy the whole set no doubt. What is an ETA on EVO synchros? Obviously there is interest in the product.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in.... I want these syncros and magnus billet forks
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XSilverJ
I can tell you this.. if you can get one of the highly respectable Evo transmission rebuilders (TRE, Jacks, Shep, Etc.) to praise and use your synchros that will make their transmissions they sell to customers better, then you'll have no problem in this market
This^^^

This product seems promising on paper. If TRE is willing to use it in his builds I have no problem paying for this upgrade. Im all for new vendors and innovation. If these are superior to oem then I would use them.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
This^^^

This product seems promising on paper. If TRE is willing to use it in his builds I have no problem paying for this upgrade. Im all for new vendors and innovation. If these are superior to oem then I would use them.

exactly since 90% of the community do not rebuild their own transmissions it would be best to talk to TRE, SHEP and Jacks to get them on board and give you a better market "look" i would have no problem paying $300 for something much more reliable
Old Apr 9, 2014, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

When will you be able to get these finished up? I'm looking to build my trans in the next one or two months

Quick Reply: EVO 8/9 Synchrotech Carbon Synchros