Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This is very interesting indeed! But the main question is still whether this is meant for permanent use or just break in?
The short description on the Summit site, implies permanent use!
I don't have a new rebuild engine, but I'd like to use it if it has superior filtering than paper filters as the manufacturer claims.
@94AWDcoupe, please elobrate further, why you prefer 45 micron over 10?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^^^ maybe there is a restriction of oil pressure going to 10 micron filter?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
paper filters work differently than this style filter. they have multiple size holes. some of the holes are 10, some 25, some 40+. so when the smaller holes fill there are larger holes that wont fill. you still get good flow. and there is a bypass when even the big holes fill. metal filters have all holes the same size. when the holes fill up the filter becomes restrictive. and there is no bypass. 10 micron holes will fill up very quickly. the website says the 10 micron is for race use. and should be cleaned after every race.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
paper filters work differently than this style filter. they have multiple size holes. some of the holes are 10, some 25, some 40+. so when the smaller holes fill there are larger holes that wont fill. you still get good flow. and there is a bypass when even the big holes fill. metal filters have all holes the same size. when the holes fill up the filter becomes restrictive. and there is no bypass. 10 micron holes will fill up very quickly. the website says the 10 micron is for race use. and should be cleaned after every race.
This makes sense. I just wanted to use the 10 micron one during the first few checks wasn't ever planning on leaving it in there for good, like the ones you performed after 5 & 1hr except I'd probably check it after 5 & 30 just to make sure it's not clogged and restricting flow. I figured it would catch more metal particles faster.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Just a heads up, the one I found on eBay being sold by CarID is OBO. I offered $90 and it was accepted, I think it showed he had 3 more mrfred.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jspecteggy
Just a heads up, the one I found on eBay being sold by CarID is OBO. I offered $90 and it was accepted, I think it showed he had 3 more mrfred.
thanks. i'll look this evening.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, mine wasn't OBO just straight out sale, I still don't have shipping confirmation so I will keep you guys updated about the shipping.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Wow, mine wasn't OBO just straight out sale, I still don't have shipping confirmation so I will keep you guys updated about the shipping.
That's weird, maybe I just got lucky. Mine says its expected delivery is Sep 24-30th so I don't expect it to ship til for at least a week.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the 19 came and went and no shipping info was sent my way. I am guessing they don't have them in stock either.
I am getting tired of these internet companies saying everything is in stock, why can't they just say it is backordered??
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, carid was BS to.
It is NOT in stock
Old Sep 22, 2014, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
Yep, carid was BS to.
It is NOT in stock
I ordered an air filter from CarID recently. I was charged NJ sales tax, item was supposedly shipping from PA. I didn't receive tracking info for over a week so I canceled my order. They said I would receive a credit in 3-4 Days, I was out of the country for my honeymoon so I wasn't keeping track of it. 2.5 weeks after my original order date an air filter showed up. I will NEVER order from CarID again....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I ordered an air filter from CarID recently. I was charged NJ sales tax, item was supposedly shipping from PA. I didn't receive tracking info for over a week so I canceled my order. They said I would receive a credit in 3-4 Days, I was out of the country for my honeymoon so I wasn't keeping track of it. 2.5 weeks after my original order date an air filter showed up. I will NEVER order from CarID again....
Yeah!
We will see how long the refund takes.
Congrats!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:53 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Once I read about a GM paper that concluded that paper filters with a bypass can hold particles as small as 10 micron and make the engine last 70% longer.

Thinking as an engineer, the bypass completely makes sense. If there was no bypass then when the pressure built up the oil would push the trapped particles through the holes, thus bringing all the debris back into the system. Not good.

I'd just install a good magnetic drain plug and something like this:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Dimp...Filter-Magnets
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with magnets is they don't do anything for non magnetic particulates.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LCS
Once I read about a GM paper that concluded that paper filters with a bypass can hold particles as small as 10 micron and make the engine last 70% longer.

Thinking as an engineer, the bypass completely makes sense. If there was no bypass then when the pressure built up the oil would push the trapped particles through the holes, thus bringing all the debris back into the system. Not good.

I'd just install a good magnetic drain plug and something like this:

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Dimp...Filter-Magnets
I think I may just have to settle for these if this order I just put in with Jeg's falls through like the others. I'm just over it at this point, how hard can it be to just say they're backordered?

Quick Reply: most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy