Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy

Old Jul 4, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy

here are some pics of the most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy. a true full flow filter. factory filters have a bypass on them. the bypass spring opens when there is a pressure differential across the filter of about 15psi. when the bypass opens oil goes right around the filter. I believe this happens at just 60 psi oil pressure or maybe even lower. if you ever noticed how long it takes to fill a filter with oil before you install it you should know what I am talking about. the oil doesnt go through paper very fast at all. with oil pressure and high flow back pressure must develop quite quickly. bypass is likely happening at just 2000 rpm. this powerflow filter does not have a bypass. its a true full flow filter that catches every particle before it reaches your valuable new rotating parts.

the old engine that was replaced was a good running engine. it had no particles in the oil. there were zero specs in the oil pan. I didnt have to worry about hidden particles ruining the new shortblock . only a fresh shortblock went in. I didnt touch the oil cooler setup or the cylinder head. first picture is after 5 minutes run time. second is after maybe one hour run time. the third is the specs from both filter inspections. thats the oil that falls into the pan when you remove filter. pretty alarming you say? well take a look at the forth pic. that is the magnetic drain plug after the first hour. very normal looking. if you arent inspecting oil particles in your filter you would have no idea how many particles are actually posing a threat. worse I am sure with a regular filter you are passing these particles into you fresh engine. there are sooo many new engines lost to this its sad. be smart. invest in a powerflow filter. I do not drive on a fresh engine till I see the particle collection precess slow to a halt. then I install a regular filter and I am confident the engine is ready to rip.

another nice thing about this filter is you dont have to change the oil a bunch of times. I used to change the oil on fresh engines like as many as five times in the first couple hours. you only have to drop filter and clean it. when the filter is no longer catching anything alarming you can put good oil in and you are ready to go.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jul 4, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Thank you for the information post.
Never realized filter bypasses so early and that so much "stuff" is present.

Is that just general dirt, from the head and oil cooler, loosened, or are there any hard particles present in the photos?

PS sent link to turbo to friends
Old Jul 4, 2014, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

theres no dirt. these are small metal particles that break off on fresh engines. the red oil pan was not cleaned before doing this, so it was dirty prior.. the particles on the side is what I was referring to as potential harm to fresh engines.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How good are these filters to say, run for the duration of a 3000 mile oci?
Are these meant for just break in motors or are these ok to run on a regular basis?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Link to some good filters out there?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about these??

http://magnusmotorsports.com/product...le-oil-filter/
Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

the magnus has a bypass. and its a 30 micron unit. this filter has no bypass so its not a great idea to leave it on. it has a 45 micron filter. paper filters are like 10 micron. they sell a 10 micron element for race aplications. and its recommended its cleaned after every race.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good to know.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jerry- I knew what this thread was about before I even opened it.

Good stuff man.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Why wouldn't you want 10 micron filtering for when you start a fresh built engine?
Seems kind of strange to run such a high micron rating.... Yet paper can filter more stuff *with no bypass*
Old Jul 5, 2014, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

if there is a bypass it takes 30 minutes to filter all the oil. most of the oil will just go around the filter. with no bypass you will filter all the oil in 3 minutes.

here is the filter check after another 1.5 hours with brad penn oil. another hour or two and it will be ready to switch to regular filter.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
So were can you get these filters?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Professional Products 10854
Old Jul 5, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How do you clean them out?
Carb clean em?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

I have used gas, gunk, soap and water, and plain water. all work just fine. cleans off very easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: most valuable engine rebuild part you can buy