Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bore/Stroke Questions With A Twin Scroll 6266

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bore/Stroke Questions With A Twin Scroll 6266

So long story short I'm entering my first build on my Evo IX. Luckily I've got some seriously good information on EvoM to point me in a direction where I could learn some Evo stuffs and gain some knowledge!

Question time:

Spoke with D. Buscher and told him about my goals and gave him a run down of what mani/turbo/intercooler I'm running..

(600-700whp True Flex Fuel build, mostly driven on the street but it's a much more drag oriented build than anything)

*ETS Twin Scroll Standard Placement
*PTE GEN2 T4 6266CEA DCBB 1.15A/R with Ported S Cover
*ETS 4" Wide Core I/C w/shorty pipes

To my surprise he steered me right away from his 2.3RPM to his Stage 3 2.0L (Standard rod). I originally wanted to go with his 2.3RPM or ER's 2.2SLR.

He was adamant about staying away from strokers with a turbo this large. Blew me away! I mean DB knows his s**t! But I was for sure a stroker would be better for this build, or at the very least his 2.3RPM short block would be mentioned.. Nothing! All 2.0!
Which makes me wonder why? I assume it's for the RPM range?

ER recommended their 2.2SLR. Which was on par for what I was expecting..

Very different views! Both from two companies that have done more with Evos than I ever will..

So my question-

- Why would a 2.0L standard rod build be better for this build? I assume it's RPM related?

- If it is RPM related, why not a 2.1? There's been a few threads on here that suggests these are the highest revving motors due to their piston speeds? Or even the 2.3RPM for that matter?

- Why go stroker on a small turbo? Isn't everyone looking to increase spool times and increase torque? That says "big turbo" to me, small or stock framed turbos don't usually suffer from lag?

I'm in no way questioning what either of these great companies suggested, they're both great! I will be buying from Buscher for sure, to me it's a better deal all around. I'm awaiting a response from DB about these questions but I'd really like to get some input on stroker motors with big turbos from you guys.

I may get 27 opinions but at least I'll have something to draw from! Thank you in advance! I know I've asked a lot of questions lately, so I appreciate the patience and input! Being new sucks..

And go!

Last edited by .DoT.; Jul 5, 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .DoT.
So long story short I'm entering my first build on my Evo IX. Luckily I've got some seriously good information on EvoM to point me in a direction where I could learn some Evo stuffs and gain some knowledge!

Question time:

Spoke with D. Buscher and told him about my goals and gave him a run down of what mani/turbo/intercooler I'm running..

(600-700whp True Flex Fuel build, mostly driven on the street but it's a much more Drag oriented than anything)

*ETS Twin Scroll Standard Placement
*PTE GEN2 T4 6266CEA DCBB 1.15A/R with Ported S Cover
*ETS 4" Wide Core I/C w/shorty pipes

To my surprise he steered me right away from his 2.3RPM to his Stage 3 2.0L (Standard rod). I originally wanted to go with his 2.3RPM or ER's 2.2SLR.

He was adamant about staying away from strokers with a turbo this large. Blew me away! I mean DB knows his s**t! But I was for sure a stroker would be better for this build, or at the very least his 2.3RPM short block would be mentioned.. Nothing! All 2.0!

ER recommended their 2.2SLR. Which was on par for what I was expecting..

Very different views! Both from two companies that have done more with Evos than I ever will..

So my question-

- Why would a 2.0L standard rod build be better for this build? I assume it's RPM related?

- If it is RPM related, why not a 2.1? There's been a few threads on here that suggests these are the highest revving motors due to their piston speeds? Or even the 2.3RPM for that matter?

- Why go stroker on a small turbo? Isn't everyone looking to increase spool times and increase torque? That lends "big turbo" to me, small or stack framed turbos don't usually suffer from lag?

I'm in no way questioning what either of these great companies suggested, they're both great! I will be buying from Buscher for sure, to me it's a better deal all around. I'm awaiting a response from DB about these questions but I'd really like to get some input on stroker motors with big turbos from you guys.

I may get 27 opinions but at least I'll have something to draw from! Thank you in advance! I know I've asked a lot of questions lately, so I appreciate the patience and input!

And go!
At the end of the day, only David Buschur will be able to thoroughly explain why he prefers the standard 2.0 rather than a stroker.

However, since it's mostly drag oriented, the 2.0 is the BEST choice for a drag engine, period.

A 2.1 could be just as impressive, but the 4g64 block mated with the evo head is too much of a hassle, and (correct me if I'm wrong), going above 40 psi I believe on a 4g64 block with a 4g63 head starts to have it's problems, even with o-ringed decks.

I have seen a few 4g64 builds that are faultless, but I haven't seen any that have been pushed to above 40psi, I'm sure there are some, I just haven't seen any yet.

I'm surprised why DB advised the standard 2.0 and not the LR 2.0 for the added revving capabilities of the LR. It's true that the extra 6mm of rod length is only going to add somewhere around 5% added safety when it comes to revving, but 5% is better than nothing I guess. I'm sure he has his reasons, you'll have to ask him.

Stroker motors are more impressive as street cars because of the extra torque, you don't need that much on a drag strip, it'll just kill your 60'.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Oh for sure! I'm sure Buscher has his reasons.. That dude is basically the equivalent to the Holy Spirit when it comes to Evos. I'm just amazed that a 2.0LR, 2.1 or 2.3RRPM weren't mentioned.. Especially since it will be on the street more than anything.

He had asked me if I garaged it (cold start issues) and how I felt about the chance of occasional stalling (I'm not 100% sure but I think if the ISCV was messed around with this hiccup could probably be calmed down) due to running S3's. So I believe that's the route I'm going because of the extra rev's you can get out of them over the S2's.

Just like yourself I assume it's pressure levels and RPM related.. I didn't know about the 64 blocks having issues around the 40psi mark, so thank you for relaying that.. I'll keep that in mind!

Once I hear back from DB I'll post up the reasons he suggested a 2.0L and not a 2.0LR, 2.1 or 2.3RPM.

Again, thank you for you help, it's good to get some solid information from guys who've done this, as I come from the Honda world and HT is a s**t show..

Thanks again!

Last edited by .DoT.; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM.