Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problem?

Hey everyone,

I've been road racing my car the past few months with NASA NE and was at NJMP Lightning all weekend with my Evo IX. On my last session of the day, I noticed I was having a hard time shifting into 5th gear going into the straightaway. After the session when I finally pitted in, I noticed that it wasn't actually hard getting into 5th gear, but hard to get OUT of 4th! In fact, it's very hard to get in or out of 4th gear. 3rd gear is also slightly tougher to move in or out. 1, 2, 5, 6 and reverse are all fine and shift smoothly. I can get into both gears fine -- I don't get locked/blocked out. Neither gear has slipped yet and I don't hear any noises/grinding while shifting into or out of them.

The car has 31k miles, changed the transmission fluid at about 23,500 but that was more than 2 years ago (driving to the tracks and track days make up most of the miles). I'm the second owner and I don't believe anything had been done to the tranny before. I have an Exedy single-disc clutch that was put in around 4,000 miles ago.

I imagine it could be any number of things, but my current guess is fried synchros. Or I could be losing 3rd/4th gear, the linkage between them, need to change my transmission oil, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marvel32x2
Hey everyone,

I've been road racing my car the past few months with NASA NE and was at NJMP Lightning all weekend with my Evo IX. On my last session of the day, I noticed I was having a hard time shifting into 5th gear going into the straightaway. After the session when I finally pitted in, I noticed that it wasn't actually hard getting into 5th gear, but hard to get OUT of 4th! In fact, it's very hard to get in or out of 4th gear. 3rd gear is also slightly tougher to move in or out. 1, 2, 5, 6 and reverse are all fine and shift smoothly. I can get into both gears fine -- I don't get locked/blocked out. Neither gear has slipped yet and I don't hear any noises/grinding while shifting into or out of them.

The car has 31k miles, changed the transmission fluid at about 23,500 but that was more than 2 years ago (driving to the tracks and track days make up most of the miles). I'm the second owner and I don't believe anything had been done to the tranny before. I have an Exedy single-disc clutch that was put in around 4,000 miles ago.

I imagine it could be any number of things, but my current guess is fried synchros. Or I could be losing 3rd/4th gear, the linkage between them, need to change my transmission oil, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Since every other gear seems fine, I'm guessing the fork is bent. You'll definitely need to take out your transmission to check anyway. If it was oil / clutch you'd be having problems with most of the gears. If it was synchros / gears you'd hear grinding, so I'm leaning towards a bent fork.

I've had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fork as well.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Faisalm -- could that have happened just from hard shifting? I will admit, as I've been getting faster at the track I have been more aggressive with the shifter, and since most of the track is done in 4th gear I do most of my shifts either up to 4 from 3 or down to 4 from 5, so it definitely takes the most abuse.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marvel32x2
Thanks Faisalm -- could that have happened just from hard shifting? I will admit, as I've been getting faster at the track I have been more aggressive with the shifter, and since most of the track is done in 4th gear I do most of my shifts either up to 4 from 3 or down to 4 from 5, so it definitely takes the most abuse.
Yes, shift forks get bent due to hard shifting.