Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Clutch Stage 3 - experience requested

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Competition Clutch Stage 3 - Feedback requested

Hey guys,

Normally I go against the grain and use SouthBend DXD clutches in my previous DSM's and Evo X.

While I've never had a DXD clutch fail on me on any of my 400-500whp cars, I'm thinking about trying a more commonly used clutch with my Evo IX.

My current power levels are ~400whp and 370wtq on a FP Green. I don't really plan on increasing power to much but may look at ways of broadening the power band to achieve more torque sooner.

The car is my DD and I plan on keeping it as quiet, smooth and as close to stock feeling as possible. I do not race it, but have my days where I enjoy it's power/handling and definitely enjoy leaving from a stop light fairly briskly

I'm leaning towards the CC stage 3 as I believe it may give the best compromise between pedal feel, holding power and smooth transitions. My goal is a street friendly clutch that can be fairly easily slipped for aggressive starts, but not necessarily full out launches.

The current clutch in the car is an Exedy Stage 1 (or so I was told by the previous owner) and not only is the pedal to hard, it's also very hard to slip as the transition zone of the clutch pedal seems to be about a 1/2 inch of pedal travel. However I am unsure how much life this clutch has on it.

While I know some will suggest an Exedy twin, the high cost and reports of noise I've read about this clutch give me pause.

So after reading all of the above, do any of you with the CC stage 3 recommend this clutch for my needs?

Any reports of premature failures like ACT springs or rivets/etc?

Last edited by tsitalon1; Jul 26, 2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i think the comp stage 2 will suffice.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I went from an Exedy stg 1 to a CC stage 2, definitely a lighter clutch pedal feel which I'm happy about. On a virtual dyno I'm about 375/375 and the clutch has held perfectly fine. It did take a while to break in and "feel" right to me, the first couple thousand miles it would slip and burn alot when I would take off at an incline. Not sure if that was just me or if anyone else had that problem. Now, it is great, I can't complain, hoping to get an FP Green or equivalent like your setup as well in the future.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I have the Comp 3.5 which I believe is now just being called the 3. I also put in their lightweight flywheel at the same time. One issue I have with this combo is decel rattle. I accept it because it's a race car but I had no idea a single would rattle. Apparently the lightweight flywheel makes it worse, too. Another issue I know about is the ceramic disc doesn't like being slipped excessively. I remember someone's help thread where he couldn't disengage the clutch. He finally dropped the trans and it the disc was welded to the flywheel. He called Comp and they said it could happen. I read his thread after I already had my clutch here and got scared. I almost called Comp to see if they would be okay with a normal disc coupled with the 2600# pressure plate but decided just to go with it and not slip it too much. The guy admitted he had slipped the clutch way too much.

I found that thread for you: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lutch-cyl.html

Another thing I would recommend no matter what clutch you go with is to get an ACT Monoloc wave spring clip. It eliminates the crappy design of the stock clip and is cheap insurance.

I've got about 2000 miles on my clutch and while the pedal is heavy it's not unbearable. The clutch grabs well and other than the noise I haven't had any issues.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
I have the Comp 3.5 which I believe is now just being called the 3. I also put in their lightweight flywheel at the same time. One issue I have with this combo is decel rattle. I accept it because it's a race car but I had no idea a single would rattle. Apparently the lightweight flywheel makes it worse, too. Another issue I know about is the ceramic disc doesn't like being slipped excessively. I remember someone's help thread where he couldn't disengage the clutch. He finally dropped the trans and it the disc was welded to the flywheel. He called Comp and they said it could happen. I read his thread after I already had my clutch here and got scared. I almost called Comp to see if they would be okay with a normal disc coupled with the 2600# pressure plate but decided just to go with it and not slip it too much. The guy admitted he had slipped the clutch way too much.

I found that thread for you: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lutch-cyl.html

Another thing I would recommend no matter what clutch you go with is to get an ACT Monoloc wave spring clip. It eliminates the crappy design of the stock clip and is cheap insurance.

I've got about 2000 miles on my clutch and while the pedal is heavy it's not unbearable. The clutch grabs well and other than the noise I haven't had any issues.
Thank you for linking that thread, I guess the question would be what is excessive slipping?

While I would never ride the clutch for extended periods, I do like to slip it during "spirited" takeoffs from a light.

We all know it's not best to slip it on a launch as that will heat the hell out of it, but as long as I can slip it a bit to take off aggressively without launching I'd be fine with that.

So are you now scared to slip it at all?

I once owned a DXD feramic clutch that fused itself simply backing up out of a parking spot... that was returned ASAP.

I'm assuming your clutch disc is sprung, so I'm wondering how it's making noise on decel.... unless the springs have broken. How bad is the noise?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I've still never hardcore launched the car after almost a year and a half of ownership. I've only been driving on the new clutch for about 3 months and while I'm tempted to launch at auto-x thankfully the course designers don't let me by making almost every start a 90° turn. I'm not really that scared to slip it for aggressive launches but if there's no need then why bother. I will say it's in the back of my mind, though.

My clutch disc is sprung, the noise is definitely audible, and it has done it since day one. If I'm decelerating next to a concrete barrier it makes me sad. It doesn't help that I run through a stock catback around town so the car is quiet and I get to hear all the noises. I would have suspected transmission or t-case but they were both rebuilt by Jack's when I put the clutch in.

Here's a good thread on the rattle: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/433973-clutch-rattles-deceleration-1.html

Honestly, you might just call Comp and see what they have to say. Back in my DSM days everybody ran 2600#PP with a traditional disc so I don't know why Comp threw the segmented ceramic on there. Well, I take that back, I know it increases surface pressure but I don't know if there were other reasons.