Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're having a problem the line repeatedly blowing off then I would recommend spraying a little bit of ultra hold hair spray on inside the end of the hose or on your fingers then quickly wiping in on the nipple, then attaching the line, then zip tying. Mine didn't blow off from 25k miles to 117k with that setup
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be more prone to blowing off if I upped my boost or what? ...basically what makes the hose blow off?
Old May 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn i found 2 hoses one i put back on the nipple the others has broken plastic stuck in it....is ine of the connections a plastic vacuum fitting? do i need a whole new egr?
Old May 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
If you're having a problem the line repeatedly blowing off then I would recommend spraying a little bit of ultra hold hair spray on inside the end of the hose or on your fingers then quickly wiping in on the nipple, then attaching the line, then zip tying. Mine didn't blow off from 25k miles to 117k with that setup
+1...i zip tie/clamp any hose i can and definitely hairspray!!!!

Originally Posted by mx4life85
Would it be more prone to blowing off if I upped my boost or what? ...basically what makes the hose blow off?
yes. THe main issue is that the hoses back there from factory are not tight enough or the nipple big enough to compensate for heat and boost. Take off your front strut bar and get to zip tying. You can do it with it on, pretty much blind...but its much harder.

Originally Posted by W_evo8
damn i found 2 hoses one i put back on the nipple the others has broken plastic stuck in it....is ine of the connections a plastic vacuum fitting? do i need a whole new egr?
Yes you will or you can bypass the egr, and disable the feature in your rom
Old Aug 9, 2008, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure my car was tuned with the egr hose off. Does this affect performance? I found it and put it back on thanks to this thread though.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:46 PM
Account Disabled

so i was checkin this out after searching! (throwing an EGR code)and of course i have the blue and white lines HANGING behind the intake manifold..... The nipples both broke off... This is why my car stumbles, then randomly runs like crap... would also explain the sudden boost like leak..... heres the picture... what do i have to do to get this working again? I DO NOT want to by pass it...

threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error-camera-001.jpg

If i have to buy the new part, being the nipples cracked off, anyone got a part number or website i can order this off of...
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
Account Disabled

well i ended uphaving to buy the part directly from mitsubishi.... Why on gods hell would they use a plastic nipple... Dumbasses Anyway, itll be here on monday, thanks for this thread guys...!!!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

ive been fighting this forever. both nipples of the egr have vac lines zip tied to it. they are stuck on there, yet i throw the code once or twice each day. dont know what else could be there problem. i followed the lines and they are all connected. maybe the lines were reversed when i got my ported intake mani and TB? could that do it? any ideas..
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by diiirk
ive been fighting this forever. both nipples of the egr have vac lines zip tied to it. they are stuck on there, yet i throw the code once or twice each day. dont know what else could be there problem. i followed the lines and they are all connected. maybe the lines were reversed when i got my ported intake mani and TB? could that do it? any ideas..
...just have Jester turn off the EGR in Ecuflash on Saturday, I'm sure he has the info on how to do it.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:30 PM

checked my connections they are atached at the throttle body and valve under it, but my trace back found that the green and white are hanging with the broken nipples in them. where does this end( the solenoid) i and any fixes or where could i buy this part?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Easiest place would likely be your dealer. To avoid the broken nipples, I went and purchased new hose from NAPA, and measured out hoses that were an inch or 2 longer than the stock hoses. This way, they aren't stretched so tight as to break off the nipples. But of course, you lose the color-coded markings by doing that. Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

One of the many problems my car has right now. Will have to check this tonight.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

This thread owns.

Thanks fellas.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

ha .. ive got the same code.. time to check the egr.. thanks evom for the informative thread.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

this was very useful. I came to do the math and i remembered my charge pipe blew off and it only made sense that it knocked off that hose. Thanks for the tip! even though this is probably an old post haha

Quick Reply: threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error