Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Searched, found this thread, and fixed the problem with my car. It's so good to have a resource like this.

I took off the strut tower brace, felt below the TB, felt the nipple (!!) on the egr (saucer thingy), felt the dangling vac line, and put it back on by hand.

Take care,

FB
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This site is the best!!

I think I have been throwing this code for about 3 months now but just went and got it pulled today to verify it was the stupid misfire code. I was stunned when the dealership said it was the P0401 code. They said the EGR valve is screwed up.

I said ok . . . . . . they didn't say anything afterwards . . . . . I said I will look online to see how to fix it. (ugh good help is sometimes hard to find but I didn't ask for much I guess)

I had found out that the hose had come off and thanks to this thread I was able to locate and fix it.

THANKS!!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Another lucky winner with number P0401 here!!!

Today I was driving to work and saw a nice Porsche Turbo like half a block ahead, so I decided to speed up and check it out. Driving hard on 3rd gear (full boost) at around 6K RPM I felt like I blew a hose, power was gone for a second, it was like in the middle of the run the BOV released ALL pressure and the engine ran out of steam. I let off and drove normal again. The whole way to the office was just fine, the car felt like nothing happened, I even went hard on the throttle again and the car responded as good as usual.

Once at my office's parking lot I took a look under the hood and everything seemed OK. I checked the BOV (APS) thinking that it may be loose, but no, it was tight. I started the car and then I got the code. At lunch I went to Autozone to read the code and it was P0401. Now that I found this thread I know what happened, and it makes sense according to what I felt. I'll check all hoses after work, I'm glad people post their problems here so others can get the answers with a simple search.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My EGR CEL keeps coming up. Take a look at these pictures and please let me know if im missing something!

Is there suppose to be a cap on that nipple or a hose? I dont see any hanging hoses or where does the hose come from?

Oh also I need to get my PASS emissions tomorrow or I have to drive parents car until I pass.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

You're close, but it's a little bit deeper (and further back) than that place. Actually what you're showing here is not a nipple, it's supposed to be like that.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

when I first was looking for the EGR hoses I thought that was it as well, its not. It's a little further back and down from what you have pictured. It's brass in color as well. It's facing the firewall.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

score another one for evom and the p0401 thread!!!
threw the code yeterday, came home, looked it up last night. Just went down to see if I could find a hose that popped off...only 30 seconds into it I found it!!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BadazzCR

Judgement Criteria
• The intake manifold pressure fluctuation width is lower than 3.5 kPa (0.50 psi). When the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid valve is turned ON.

Please let me know if I understand correctly...
when the EGR opens, the pressure fluctuation width ( measured by the MAP sensor ) is lower... correct ?

I need to know because I have the same problem on my Isuzu D-max.. after I removed the WATER-cooled EGR ( 3.5 kgs !!! )

So I could try to put a restriction in the MAP pipe to reduce pressure fluctuations...

TIA.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

And yet another PO401 winner here found it with the Search, It is your FRIEND.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:19 PM

Wow, thought I was alone unitil I found this thread. Checked the EGR and, of course, the hose was disconnected.

I can now stop shatting my pants. Thanks evoM!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Found that this happened to me today and fixed it. Thanks EVOM.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Does this affect performance. I got my car tuned with this off the whole time I think.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol!

why didnt mitsu flare the end of the hose barbs!!!!

we have had everyone blow off on our car... now they are all doublezip tied.... the last time i lost one, it was the EGR cap, and it was the only one i forgot to ziptie when we did the head and re-assembly!

meh!

pain in the butt!

cb
Old Jun 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hawjdude
Found that this happened to me today and fixed it. Thanks EVOM.
Me too !!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

another person helped great right up saved me time and money thanks

Quick Reply: threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error