Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Another grateful reader here. Got the P0401 code, found the disconnected hose, just like you said
Thanks!!!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikesevo8
Another grateful reader here. Got the P0401 code, found the disconnected hose, just like you said
Thanks!!!
Same here. Just last week I got the P0401 and besides the code my boost was somewhat erratic. Reattached the hose, and zip-tied as many as I could. After I cleared the code I haven't had the problem since.

evoM is great for this kind of stuff!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Joshs EVO - this hose being off will not keep your car from starting.

My car ran fine enough - I really didn't know it was off except for the annoying code.
I suppose everyones "symptom" is slightly different, but I think the car always runs to some extent.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, the shop just called me and said that they think that when I changed out the fuel pump and injectors that it erased the code from my key, so they are taking the car up to the dealership to get it redone/rekeyed.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by markeddy
Maybe this will help you guys get a better idea of the location in relation to the throttle body, this is out of the 2005 service manual -
Just wanted to throw a big thank you out! This was exactly what I needed. That was the problem (i think) I will let you all know if it wasn't but the hose was def off
Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

i reconnected one and it still comes back.
are there two vac lines that goto that?

i just got the code and just connected the dangling one i felt.
its really hard to see anything, you just feel it out...
Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:56 PM

Man i'm glad I came across this thread. I've got the P0401 code right now. I just got home so I'm going to check it out in the AM when the car is cooled off. Thanks Evom!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Now this is a resource, no argueing, no bashing, friendly help is what is wanted, Thanks, threw the code couple months ago, cars been sitting in my garage waiting for my attention. Didnt know what the problem was, read this thread found a line un done in the same general area, I hope it was it. I zip tied all the line in the bay area just in case HAHA. Thanks again
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Another victim saved by this thread.

Freaking engineers :P

p0401 code, found the vacuum line had popped off... Put the line back on, cleared the code, gtg.

Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mitsu, GranMassa, Upstate... looks like I have more in common w/ you guys than just knowing each of you. I experienced this while at Watkins Glen for 2 day track event. I missed 6 of my 8 sessions, so I'm calculating I spent $12.60/min of track time - sucks to be me. I thought I had a misfire somewhere, so I checked spark plug wires, and eventually had NAPA overnight some NGK Iridiums to the track for me, but still the same result. (Wish I'd had net access at the track... )

Limped it the 4 hrs home (sucks to drive with little boost).

Now from what I've read in here I'm guessing that once that hose came off, the car went into safe mode and that's why it felt like I was hitting the rev limiter at 5K rpms. I'm hoping to clear the codes and all will be well once I get the line reattached and ziptied (what a pain it is to try that with one hand - I'll have to take the strut brace off).

Oh well, at least it got me off my butt and over to Harbor Freight to pick up an OBD II code reader ($49 - pretty cheap!).
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

...and I've still got the stumble problem above 5K rpm. Off to the mechanic...
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EJ, have you checked all the lines running to the back of both sides of the intake manifold? Let the car cool and break out the little girl hands to feel around back there.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

You are just a boy genius, you are. Anticipating the need to feel deep behind the engine, I stopped my exercise regimen years ago to develop these Olsen Twin-like arms.

Feeling around from the passenger side, I can feel a piece with twin nipples on it (ooh - twins!). While both hoses are attached to the nipples, the one hose is pulled so tight that it is literally bent closed like an "L" right after the nipple ends. That probably isn't good, is it? I'll have to unattach the hose I reattached and see if that relieves the tension. Then it's a matter of getting hose and cutting a longer piece. Where would I pick up hose for this?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 05:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just snip off a piece for reference and take it to autozone/orielly's/napa and pick up twice the amount you think you'll need

Quick Reply: threw a cel code p0401 EGR insufficient flow error