Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stupid Question About Open Dump vs Recirculating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question About Open Dump vs Recirculating

First post, thanks for having me

I want more pops, bangs, and flames out of my rear exhaust (I know dumb and unnecessary but I thin its cool). Will having a open dump lessen that ? I'm thinking obviously it would but I just wanted to makes sure.

Just got my evo, will probably be back with more stupid questions.

Appreciate it
Old Jun 3, 2022, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by bevo7

I want more pops, bangs, and flames out of my rear exhaust (I know dumb and unnecessary but I thin its cool). Will having a open dump lessen that ? I'm thinking obviously it would but I just wanted to makes sure.

Appreciate it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rackles-2.html
The following users liked this post:
bevo7 (Jun 3, 2022)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
natural pops and flames are cool, everything else is silly. Not for car enthusiasts/racing more for tik tok and instagram shorts to say hey look at me and my cool car if you want the crackling with a good performance benefit consider anti lag kit by brewed motorsports, youl need a remap or aftermarket ecu:

https://www.brewedmotorsports.com/pr...lly-style-als/
bevo7 (Jun 3, 2022)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Just remember flames attract attention and with these cars we don't need unwanted attention. Dump will make the car louder when the wastegate opens for sure. Again more attention. Just be careful what you wish for.
bevo7 (Jun 3, 2022)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RallySport9
natural pops and flames are cool, everything else is silly. Not for car enthusiasts/racing more for tik tok and instagram shorts to say hey look at me and my cool car if you want the crackling with a good performance benefit consider anti lag kit by brewed motorsports, youl need a remap or aftermarket ecu:

https://www.brewedmotorsports.com/pr...lly-style-als/

I completely understand that, I was planning on having multiple maps. I understand ill need to get it tuned and most likely with a aftermarket ecu but will having a open dump lessen the pops and bangs that come out of the rear exhaust ?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Just remember flames attract attention and with these cars we don't need unwanted attention. Dump will make the car louder when the wastegate opens for sure. Again more attention. Just be careful what you wish for.
I completely understand that too, its a weekend car that will be driven on backroads. I'm not all about having a super loud car but just wanted the pops and bangs to come out of the rear exit of my exhaust. Do you think a open dump would lessen that ?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
I completely understand that too, its a weekend car that will be driven on backroads. I'm not all about having a super loud car but just wanted the pops and bangs to come out of the rear exit of my exhaust. Do you think a open dump would lessen that ?
not really, it will just come out of both exits but yes, slightly less out of the tail pipe than you would with an internal dump. Just a warning about the atmospheric o2 dump, youtube videos don't really sound like it but its really really loud, sounds like an aircraft and sort of washes out the spool/engine.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 04:53 PM
EvoM Guru

No, your car will be stupid loud once that wastegate opens up and you go through the boost range and shift. If you want the pops and bangs, talk with your tuner and tell him thats what you want. I am sure he can fix that.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by RallySport9
not really, it will just come out of both exits but yes, slightly less out of the tail pipe than you would with an internal dump. Just a warning about the atmospheric o2 dump, youtube videos don't really sound like it but its really really loud, sounds like an aircraft and sort of washes out the spool/engine.
Originally Posted by cursedsm
No, your car will be stupid loud once that wastegate opens up and you go through the boost range and shift. If you want the pops and bangs, talk with your tuner and tell him thats what you want. I am sure he can fix that.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. The car I just got comes with brand new open dump but its not installed and I'm debating if I want to take it to a shop and recirculate it. The car came with a bunch of parts not installed yet and I'm just trying to figure out what I wanted the car to be before I install things. What do you run ? Do you prefer open or recirculating ? I saw on some forums that open dumps can make more power but I also saw some videos where it really didn't make a difference. I really like the Japan mountain touge evos and I think I want to go in that direction, so I think recirculating might be better but that's why I'm here asking for more opinions and getting some more info.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

I have a divided t4 setup with 2 external dumps. Yes it is a street car and I don't care about the noise. Everything is basically in my sig. I am to the point where I jumped off the cliff and then found a larger one then jumped off that one too with my evo. I have to run open dumps being there is nothing available to run a recirc line to my exhaust. Lots of custom parts in my car now so I don't have a choice.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
You basically get flames, pops and bangs by having no restriction in the exhaust (no cat especially) and running it rich when the throttle snaps shut. You can't do this with a cat, because it arrests the flames, and running pops/bangs will ruin the cat pretty quickly. Over time with an open dump, pops and bangs, you're probably going to start to hate it, and everyone around you will hate it. The police especially, since it's explicitly illegal to run open dump and to remove the cat in BC: https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/d...6th40th:m232-1

Recirculated wastegates and high-flow cats all day for me. Wastegate growl and pops & bangs are stupid.

Old Jun 3, 2022, 08:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Appreciate it
Was this the blue Evo 7 in Prince Rupert, BC?

Missed out on it by not sending a deposit quick enough,
Old Jun 3, 2022, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
You basically get flames, pops and bangs by having no restriction in the exhaust (no cat especially) and running it rich when the throttle snaps shut. You can't do this with a cat, because it arrests the flames, and running pops/bangs will ruin the cat pretty quickly. Over time with an open dump, pops and bangs, you're probably going to start to hate it, and everyone around you will hate it. The police especially, since it's explicitly illegal to run open dump and to remove the cat in BC: https://www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/d...6th40th:m232-1

Recirculated wastegates and high-flow cats all day for me. Wastegate growl and pops & bangs are stupid.
I was planning on doing multiple maps. I get where you're coming from, time and place for everything.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RMILtd
Was this the blue Evo 7 in Prince Rupert, BC?

Missed out on it by not sending a deposit quick enough,
Yeah haha
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah haha
Nice, was a good buy

Quick Reply: Stupid Question About Open Dump vs Recirculating