Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay Fmic?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
That is the only question I haven't seen answered in these ebay fmic threads.
If this thing weighs the same yet outperforms the stock unit then why not? Apart from not really trusting it to hold up against any sort of sustained abuse...
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by osetsky
If this thing weighs the same yet outperforms the stock unit then why not? Apart from not really trusting it to hold up against any sort of sustained abuse...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2126473
You can read up on it. Even though it's a top mount (I personally think this is a great test since top mounts are very prone to heat soak), doesn't change the fact that it's very inefficient. Really defeats the purpose of an intercooler, which is supposed to cool down the charge air before entering the intake manifold.

And if you're really curious on Garrett core vs that crap you find on eBay.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cts-truth.html
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by osetsky
You're gonna have to trust the guys with experience when it comes to this stuff. In the end, you ending up spending more money because you buy the cheap stuff to save money and realize that it's garbage. And then you ending up buying quality. You get what you pay for. I once bought a front lip on Ebay. How hard can it be to screw up a lip? They did. It was cheap quality, warped, color was shyte, didn't fit right. I threw it in the trash and paid better money for better quality. One may buy an cheap Chinese intercooler and find that it leaks, shytty welds, or doesn't fit right. You never know.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you daily drive your car and are sticking to 450whp or under then buy the ebay intercooler. Theres nothing wrong with it and it will not bottle neck like your factory intercooler. Can you autocross with it? Hell no, but for 99% of the driving you will do it will be fine. Now would I personally run it? No, I had a ebay 3.5 inch intercooler years ago on my black evo with a big turbo on it, put on a ETS and picked up 20whp. Granted I was probably pushing more air then you but it all depends on your set up. Subaru guys run the XS Power/SS Autochrome front mount kits ALL THE TIME and its fine. But ETS cores arent expensive and you should think about resale value as well.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Weight and performance vs stock is what should be answered. And it never is.
Yes it will heat soak. Faster than stock?
Will it make power? Sure, more than stock though?
We know all the big names are much heavier than stock. How about this?
It's worth knowing. What if you take a rock and need a cooler stat but don't have funding for big names?
Once these questions are answered a sticky could be made detailing what is known about these units. Then never have another ebay fmic thread again!
Just sayin'.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read good things about depo FMICs.
$325 shipped on amazon.
Amazon.com: Depo Racing 3.5 Inch Evo 8 Viii Intercooler Fmic: Automotive Amazon.com: Depo Racing 3.5 Inch Evo 8 Viii Intercooler Fmic: Automotive

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ny-good-4.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the problem is at that price you can get a used ETS core. Or save up abit more and buy a real one. Idk man if Im going ebay ANYTHING its gotta be less then $200 so I know I just didnt throw away enough money to buy an Xbox
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Please post a link to a used ETS intercooler for 200$, with pics showing it holds pressure, and I will buy it right now.
So my point remains the same, these threads are all exactly the same. Guy asks about ebay ic. Forum responds with "save for ets" and "lookit this one comparison Bushur did against HIS". No info against the stock unit. The thing that really matters. I'm just trying to get more current clear info for the sake of knowing.

Also, to the OP, sorry for sorta jacking your thread.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your going to cheap out dont own a Evo, simple as that. Why dont you buy proven tested good quality parts?