Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMSOIL long term use switch back to Mobile 1 question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL long term use switch back to Mobile 1 question

Hello everyone,

I was hoping you guys can chime in and help a noobie out.. i've done my due diligence with the search function but none cover my questions.

background on vehicle
Evo 9 SE, 5 speed.
58k miles
no performance mods ever just a short shifter.

I'm about to buy a EVO 9 and the current owner has used AMSOIL for the last 52k miles (car is at 58k). Is it okay if I switch back to Mobil 1 starting the next oil change? I plan to do the big 60k service than switch it back to Mobil 1.. could there be any issues with that?

Also

He has a short shifter on the car which I believe he installed incorrectly because it sits to the right a little bit. He said he's had it like that for about 40k miles but never bothered to fix it because it didnt bother him much.. Is this a easy fix?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If thats all you can get your hands on for the time being thats fine just get the full synthetic. Mobile 1 doesnt have any Zinc in it anymore so when you can Ide order some amsoil or brad penn or whatever else you wanna run. When ever I used mobile 1 it would break down pretty bad after 3000 miles, switched to amsoil and stayed gold for a long time. But maybe someone else with abit more knowledge can provide input.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:34 AM

I wonder if there are any shops in socal that stock AMSOIL..

can anyone chime in on the short shifter?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Why would you switch to Mobil 1? Because the oil cap says it or because it's cheaper? If it's because it's cheaper, you need to find a less expensive car to buy. If it's because the cap says it, you need to ignore the cap. Mobil 1 paid the most to have their name there, that doesn't mean they're the best

Stick with Amsoil.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:11 AM

money is not a issue, I just don't know where I can buy Amsoil in my area.. nor do any of my local shops carry them on hand. I was going to switch back to Mobil 1 out of convienence but I'm open to use anything else that is available.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Why would you switch to Mobil 1? Because the oil cap says it or because it's cheaper? If it's because it's cheaper, you need to find a less expensive car to buy. If it's because the cap says it, you need to ignore the cap. Mobil 1 paid the most to have their name there, that doesn't mean they're the best

Stick with Amsoil.
this

Originally Posted by LancerCALI88
money is not a issue, I just don't know where I can buy Amsoil in my area.. nor do any of my local shops carry them on hand. I was going to switch back to Mobil 1 out of convienence but I'm open to use anything else that is available.
doesn't need to be amsoil, a lot of other high quality oils out there. i'm not crazy ab mobil1 though
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
this

a lot of other high quality oils out there.
amen reverend
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:05 AM

Can you guys recommened any that is easy to get?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Can you guys recommened any that is easy to get?
you're in OC, check with any shop that's near you
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
apagan01 on here is who I typically buy oil from, but any Amsoil vendor can have it shipped directly to you.

Amsoil is definitely not the only option; Brad Penn, Motul, Valvoline VR1

Oil is all personal preference, just get one that is good for turbo cars
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:04 PM
Account Disabled

I get my High Zink Brad Penn oil online through Amazon prime free 2 day shipping.
Just got two casses yesterday :-) total cost less than $6 each quart shipped :-))

Last edited by MR. EVO MR; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the same problem since I got my Evo. I know oil cap says use Mobil 1 and that's what I've been using (80k miles) havent had any problems just my dang transfer case. I've heard Mobil 1 doesn't use Zinc additive anymore which is why a lot of people don't use it so I'm pretty sure im going to start using ams oil. If there's a Midas Auto Care Center around where you live I know they carry Ams oil.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How is Shell Rotella T6 oil?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

All I know is when I switched to Amsoil from Mobile 1 my leak down test results improved for some reason and the compression test did as well. Probably have nothing to do with one another and maybe Im just paranoid but I run Amsoil in everything besides my GEO that gets the back wash
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just go to Amsoil.com and join as a member and have it shipped to your door. I ordered yesterday, and it's on front door mat today
The one or two places that have it in SD County, would cost me more in E85, then just shipping it. ZROD FTW

Quick Reply: AMSOIL long term use switch back to Mobile 1 question