Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB

Old Dec 18, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB

Wondering if there's a sure fire way to tell whether a turbo is JB or BB based on appearance? Specifically on a FP green (are there markings, lettering, compressor fins will spin super easily, etc)

Much thanks in response!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the center section of the turbos are different. the bb turbo will have allen head caps covering the water holes. non bb has freeze plugs
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

hey thanks for the reply.. So the allen head/freeze caps apply to "older", non-SS housing fp's too?

I'm guessing this:
How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB-mbh7kec.jpg

isn't BB, then?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone? Need to make sure before I start accusing people of selling me a jb turbo when I paid for a ball bearing turbo...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Remove plastic tap from oil feed and check if there is a bolt/oil restrictor in there. If not sure what to look for, take a very close pic of the inside of the oil feed, post it up and I will let you know if its a bb or jb one.

Marios
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Marios thanks for the reply.. Oil feed looks like a lot of assembly lube but no restrictor as far as I could tell:

How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB-xzabobl.jpg
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Insanenoodle
hey thanks for the reply.. So the allen head/freeze caps apply to "older", non-SS housing fp's too?

I'm guessing this:

isn't BB, then?
very plain bearing turbo. never seen grease for assembly lube.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

No worries mate, pleasure to help out, it seems that it is a journal bearing turbo, it will last longer if it has a 360* thrust bearing instead of a 270* one, hopefully it does.

Marios
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

every turbo mitsu made has a 360 thrust bearing.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

@Evo8cy, @94AWDcoupe,

Thanks for the reply guys. Bought this turbo after it was advertised as a ball bearing. I'm glad I questioned it before strapping it on with the (restrictive) ball-bearing oil feed line which I believe would've starved the turbo in a hurry... Working with PP to get a refund although seller seemed to have edited his original FS thread to include "AS-IS" to try and cover his @$$:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...turbo-new.html

Edit: Corrected link

Last edited by Insanenoodle; Dec 20, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
every turbo mitsu made has a 360 thrust bearing.

Yes I am aware that atleast the units for the 2g ones have a 360* thrust, I am not completely sure but some very early units had the 270 degrees one, I only pointed it out as the rest of the chra was not as described, and who knows if the core has been re-built or messed around with.

Marios
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Insanenoodle
@Evo8cy, @94AWDcoupe,

Thanks for the reply guys. Bought this turbo after it was advertised as a ball bearing. I'm glad I questioned it before strapping it on with the (restrictive) ball-bearing oil feed line which I believe would've starved the turbo in a hurry... Working with PP to get a refund although seller seemed to have edited his original FS thread to include "AS-IS" to try and cover his @$$:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...turbo-new.html

Edit: Corrected link
That line is not the line that was included with this turbo. I lost the line that was included. This turbo is NOT A JB turbo. It's a BB turbo. The line was bought completely separate and yes it was used. I didn't note that on the ad. I forgot to.

I offered a $200 refund so you could purchase yourself a new line. You declined this. All I wanted was you to send me the old line back so I can resell it and get some money for it. I didn't know they made 2 different lines for JB and BB turbos.

I will still offer this refund if you want to accept it. I paid over $3000 for this turbo with all of the additions it has. It's BRAND NEW. I'm trying to work with you but like I said the turbo was sold AS IS and the ad was marked as AS IS, as everything is on here when you buy something off a forum.

You have a perfectly good turbo that you only paid $2063 for. If you take the refund then it's $1863. That's a STEAL. I'm trying to work with you.

Please close the dispute.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

OK. I was going to let this settle through paypal and was merely trying to warn other evom members but we can let this air out here.

First, on the point of whether or not this turbo is bb or jb: I called FP and they told me what to look for on a BB turbo and what they've said has concurred with what the guys on here have said. Bottom line, you have NOTHING other than your word to verify it as ball-bearing. You paid 3k for it? You can't even produce an invoice for it (which you still haven't done). When I kept asking for one, you stated that you're a dealer and that you'd just write one up for me. If the whole thing didn't seem so shady to me, I wouldn't have started questioning the type of bearing in it.

Second, your ad/post is misleading and you failed to uphold your end. You couldn't produce an original invoice for it, warranty card wasn't included, you sent me the wrong oil lines (which were also used), and the inline filter didn't even come with it. WHERE DID THOSE LINES COME FROM? I've asked you about the origins of the used lines multiple times with no answer.

Third, regarding you not knowing that there were two different lines? This just shows you don't even know the differences between ball bearing and journal on the fp line. Anyone even semi-familiar with the evo FP products know that the bb turbos feed from the head and that only the journals are recommended to feed from the oil filter.

Fourth, and most importantly, you're a flat out liar. You had the original post "as-is"? This is why I'm not willing to work with you. You proved yourself a liar the moment you edited your post to include that (by the way everyone can see when you edited your post). You changed the original post, then told me that no refunds would be given on the grounds that it was sold "as-is". I have multiple screenshots of the post the day I bought it:

How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB-ecu2bnw.jpg

Note the removal of the shady paypal payment as gift clause and the addition of 'as-is'. Furthermore, "as-is" is generally used in cases where a condition of a certain item cannot be verified or guaranteed, not whether or not an item is or isn't something.

Finally, if you are so confident it is a legitimate, ball-bearing, FP green turbo, you would have absolutely NO qualms about giving me a refund and reselling it for more than what you sold it to me for (since you lost a thousand dollars selling it to me anyway).

tldr; There was no documentation on the turbo, you are being deceitful, and I'm just trying to warn other evom members.

Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited by Insanenoodle; Dec 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: re-uploaded screenshot with annotations
The following users liked this post:
andrei_blancia (Apr 23, 2018)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Since our aim here is to help out, and that should be the only reason someone irrelevant to the facts of such threads should post, and since, speaking for myself, all I want to do is see this go through for both sides to be happy, I will tell the seller that all ballbearing catridges need an oil restrictor to be able to function without deteriorating and finally failing in a short amount of time I might say due to excessive oil pressure mainly and not just, if there is no restrictor in between the chra and the oil line. This specific turbo does not seem to have a restrictor and unless the restrictor/bolt, basically a bolt that has a small passage in the middle all the way through for the oil to reach the chra but it also holds the chra into place, has been removed for some reason, a fact that will not allow the bb chra to function, I cannot see this unit being a bb one.

Besides the above there is also another way of identifying the core of the turbocharger, but it needs some familiarization and knowledge with assembling and disassembling of turbochargers. One needs to separate exhaust housing from compressor one, then compressor cover from the backplate, then remove the compressor wheel, and finally remove the exhaust wheel and shaft. After this simple really process one can identify if the core is jb, bb, or hybrid(a combo of the former two).

To the seller again, are you sure you bought and received a ballbearing unit?

Marios
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8cy
Since our aim here is to help out, and that should be the only reason someone irrelevant to the facts of such threads should post, and since, speaking for myself, all I want to do is see this go through for both sides to be happy, I will tell the seller that all ballbearing catridges need an oil restrictor to be able to function without deteriorating and finally failing in a short amount of time I might say due to excessive oil pressure mainly and not just, if there is no restrictor in between the chra and the oil line. This specific turbo does not seem to have a restrictor and unless the restrictor/bolt, basically a bolt that has a small passage in the middle all the way through for the oil to reach the chra but it also holds the chra into place, has been removed for some reason, a fact that will not allow the bb chra to function, I cannot see this unit being a bb one.

Besides the above there is also another way of identifying the core of the turbocharger, but it needs some familiarization and knowledge with assembling and disassembling of turbochargers. One needs to separate exhaust housing from compressor one, then compressor cover from the backplate, then remove the compressor wheel, and finally remove the exhaust wheel and shaft. After this simple really process one can identify if the core is jb, bb, or hybrid(a combo of the former two).

To the seller again, are you sure you bought and received a ballbearing unit?

Marios
Yes I did. Once again, the oil supply line I supplied was USED and not used for the turbo I sent him. I lost the line and bought a new one but I was unaware that the BB green needed a special line so I bought the wrong one. I am willing to offer the seller a $200 refund so he can go buy himself the correct line that he needs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if a turbo is BB or JB