Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help bleeding ACD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help bleeding ACD

Been dealing with my ACD lights being on for years. Finally started doing something about it.

Bought a rebuild kit, replaced seals and the plate. Attempted to bleed with gas pedal, but no success. Bought a spare ACD pump, replaced it, attempted to bleed, same result. The lights come on after about half a mile of driving.

The fuse on my battery looks intact, I would presume other things would not work if that fuse was bad.

Is the pump supposed to make any noise when you press and hold the gas pedal until the relay clicks? I also noticed it clicks again after about 30 seconds. I have read of people hard wiring the pump to a battery but haven't found clear instructions on how to do this. I put the battery to the pump, no noise. Battery to just the solenoid, no noise.

Any help is appreciated. I am almost at the point of taking it to a shop, but not yet defeated.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by pog0
Been dealing with my ACD lights being on for years. Finally started doing something about it.

Bought a rebuild kit, replaced seals and the plate. Attempted to bleed with gas pedal, but no success. Bought a spare ACD pump, replaced it, attempted to bleed, same result. The lights come on after about half a mile of driving.

The fuse on my battery looks intact, I would presume other things would not work if that fuse was bad.

Is the pump supposed to make any noise when you press and hold the gas pedal until the relay clicks? I also noticed it clicks again after about 30 seconds. I have read of people hard wiring the pump to a battery but haven't found clear instructions on how to do this. I put the battery to the pump, no noise. Battery to just the solenoid, no noise.

Any help is appreciated. I am almost at the point of taking it to a shop, but not yet defeated.
I can hear my pump building pressure. Sounds like your is still not building any/enough pressure if after 30 seconds it stops. You can jump the pins (can't remember which ones 1 and 4 or 3 I think) on the OBD2 and get the code to help diagnose.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Error code on both is 82 when I jump pins 1 and 4 on the OBD2 connector. Which determine not enough pressure. I even rebuilt my old one that was getting error 82 and I still get it.

I read that it has to be bled with the e-brake off, I tried that last night and it was the same result. Just a bit of fluid drained. My reservoir is still at the same level. No noise from the pump at all. The fuse on the battery looks good, but maybe I will hook up a multimeter to see if it OK. I presume so since the battery doesn't die unless I don't start the car for weeks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by pog0
Error code on both is 82 when I jump pins 1 and 4 on the OBD2 connector. Which determine not enough pressure. I even rebuilt my old one that was getting error 82 and I still get it.

I read that it has to be bled with the e-brake off, I tried that last night and it was the same result. Just a bit of fluid drained. My reservoir is still at the same level. No noise from the pump at all. The fuse on the battery looks good, but maybe I will hook up a multimeter to see if it OK. I presume so since the battery doesn't die unless I don't start the car for weeks.
Oh shoot...just realized your in SD. Nice. I was born and raised in North County (encinitas, carlsbad, etc).

Did you you use a kit when you rebuilt the pump? Definitely seems like no power to the pump. I'll go out in my car in a few and figure out when I hear the pump come on.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Nice, a fellow San Diegan. I usually lurk here and SoCalEvo.

I used a kit I bought from another member. I watched the video that kikiturbo made. I didn't replace the bearing as it seemed to spin freely. I didn't open the motor section of the pump. My original pump was barely corroded and looked in better condition than the one I bought despite having way more mileage.

The issue happened after I had my motor built. The people who built it couldn't bleed my ACD since I had my valet map set to the same trigger as the relay for the ACD pump. I just disabled the valet map, found it pointless. Just never bothered me and I finally decided to start fixing all the little crap pissing me off on the car.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

You should definitely hear a noise when the pump activates,sounds like a loud fuel pump.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:28 PM

I hear a whining sound for a few seconds before my 3 lights come on... Is that the pump trying to build pressure?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Yes,i usually have some one push the pedal down while i am under the car bleeding the system. I do it just like brake,i stop once i do not see air bubbles in the line.