Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Balance Shaft Elimination Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Based on your notes above, what is your opinion of Jacks article?
I would be foolish to judge. These people obviously have way more experience than I. There's one exception, I remember cars spinning balance shaft bearings that didn't have the mileage that would indicate the engines were worn out. The six bolt was a good engine with the exception of the balance shafts. So, pull them and you had a better engine.

Then the seven bolts came along and they really messed up the engine. These were in some of the most beautiful cars I ever saw and there was no fix from Mitusbishi. I remember one guy who kept the underside of his car clean with Pledge. Now, that's love. You could put in a new engine and it might also crank walk. Engines with automatics crank walked.

The point of the story is that Mitsubishi did a lot of engineering to give us the Evo engine and that engineering included a balance shaft fix.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Only some engines have issues with chains. And a lot of times it's due to consistently late oil changes. Nissan/Infiniti has an issue with this. The Evo X with the revised chain doesn't seem to have any problems.
Unless you're a car nut maintenance is something that occasionally occurs at Jiffy Lube.

Last edited by barneyb; Jan 4, 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 03:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Unless you're a car nut maintenance is something that occasionally occurs at Jiffy Lube.
Not true. I know average people that at least do scheduled maintenance on time.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I personally feel anyone who thinks its a good idea to remove the balance shafts basically has no clue about good mechanics of your vehicle. jacks article scratches the surface of how important they are. Do you really think mitsubishi would include $400 extra in parts on engine if they werent really necessary? I have seen all the adverse affects Jacks talks about and more. If you dont see them you dont have much experience with these cars or you arent very observant when you diagnose failures with your car.

My experience is take them out on drag cars. they simply dont log enough run time to matter that much.

On street cars you are dumb if you take them out. If you are worried about early failure its not the balance shafts designs fault. it will be yours. they are the first bearing to fail when there is contamination in your engine. people wont own up to fact its there fault there was contamination in the engine because they arent smart enough to do so. I never take balance shafts out.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I personally feel anyone who thinks its a good idea to remove the balance shafts basically has no clue about good mechanics of your vehicle. jacks article scratches the surface of how important they are. Do you really think mitsubishi would include $400 extra in parts on engine if they werent really necessary? I have seen all the adverse affects Jacks talks about and more. If you dont see them you dont have much experience with these cars or you arent very observant when you diagnose failures with your car.

My experience is take them out on drag cars. they simply dont log enough run time to matter that much.

On street cars you are dumb if you take them out. If you are worried about early failure its not the balance shafts designs fault. it will be yours. they are the first bearing to fail when there is contamination in your engine. people wont own up to fact its there fault there was contamination in the engine because they arent smart enough to do so. I never take balance shafts out.
^^ x2 --

Balance shafts are particular to the stock piston / rod combination and harmonics. Once we change this combo there is no need for them .
Old Jan 9, 2017, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

On a built motor, the balance shafts don't help. You change the weight of the rotating assembly, which means the balance shafts have the wrong counterweight. This is only exacerbated if you build a stroker motor.

I agree that with a stock rotating assembly, the balance shafts should be retained. Proper maintenance will prevent any issues.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:13 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
+1 for leaving the rear shaft in and not use the belt. No problems for me, so far.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Apr 9, 2017)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a educated question: Is it absolutely necessary to use the kiggly hla after a balance shaft delete has been performed ?

Or is it acceptable to re-install the OEM HLA with the balance shaft deleted ?

Also Mr. 94, what are your thoughts on the English Racing oil pump gear, your opinion please..
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Kiggly HLA is good to do regardless. Keeps more oil in the pan.

The English pump gear is a great mod, if your bshafts are gone, and you have adjustbale cam gears to correct the 2.5* timing change it causes.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Those questions are for you too KAJ, because I will get your oil pan modification, and now I'm wondering will that ER oil pump gear make a good situation better !!!

Capacity & Control, I like that..
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Well said

Heres a great thread from the 944 boys on the BS elimination & the damaging harmonics involved. Read Chris's (professional engine builder) post no. 10
http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo...ed-engine.html
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:08 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
I have a educated question: Is it absolutely necessary to use the kiggly hla after a balance shaft delete has been performed ?

Or is it acceptable to re-install the OEM HLA with the balance shaft deleted ?

Also Mr. 94, what are your thoughts on the English Racing oil pump gear, your opinion please..
The Kiggly HLA is good to swap, no matter what.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the responses fellas, I still would like to hear from you 94 about this matter, it's kinda hard to make the right decision where you hear 50% say they have never had a problem with doing a bs delete, and the other half are the horror stories of doing this mod.
I guess its one of those situations where you pick your poison, Minus I read the post in the link you provided, reading stuff like that makes you wanna keep the shafts in, as it has been stated in this thread they are install for a reason, HARMONICS
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna post pics of my balance shafts later and let me know if I should re use them fellas !
Old Jan 9, 2017, 01:38 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Thank you for the responses fellas, I still would like to hear from you 94 about this matter, it's kinda hard to make the right decision where you hear 50% say they have never had a problem with doing a bs delete, and the other half are the horror stories of doing this mod.
I guess its one of those situations where you pick your poison, Minus I read the post in the link you provided, reading stuff like that makes you wanna keep the shafts in, as it has been stated in this thread they are install for a reason, HARMONICS
My opinion is that street cars should keep them. I hardly drive my car but when I do, it gets beat on. So, for me, the risk/reward for leaving them disconnected seems fair. Like you said, you will get some for and some against, so...

Quick Reply: Balance Shaft Elimination Questions