Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Racing with OEM plugs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing with OEM plugs

Well, long story short.. I was having misfiring problems after racing this funny gto
Started misfiring RIGHT after the last race
Any words from the community?

The electrode for my spark looks like it melted off, I'm guessing I was running a LITTLE TOO LEAN
Are there any solutions to this besides a re-tune?
Maybe gapping differently?
Run a little more rich?
Colder plugs?

What are the damages that could happen to my engine when the ground electrode came off?

Last edited by essej; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:22 PM

Looks like serious detonation. You need to log and check fuel and timing and adjust accordingly. I hope your engine internals are still OK. I wouldn't drive it hard till it's logged and tuned.
Just looked at the amount of compression on the plug gasket. Was the plug that melted tight enough? Food for thought.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Charlescrown
Looks like serious detonation. You need to log and check fuel and timing and adjust accordingly. I hope your engine internals are still OK. I wouldn't drive it hard till it's logged and tuned.
Just looked at the amount of compression on the plug gasket. Was the plug that melted tight enough? Food for thought.
Woah you might be right! The plugs were easily removed, meaning they were probably not torqued according to specs. I replaced the plugs with some denso ikh22's .022 gap, I will see if that will help. I'm pretty sure it's the tune too but I don't have anything to log it with. I appreciate your contribution!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
you shouldn't street race bro...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hope the piston and head didn't get beaten up too much from that bit floating in there. Use new plugs and set them to about 0.020" and see how it runs. If it doesn't run/ideal correctly you may have to do a compression test. It's it's still not showing good compression numbers than you would to do a leak down test to pinoint the failure.
Vid to be removed in 3..2.. :}
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Hope the piston and head didn't get beaten up too much from that bit floating in there. Use new plugs and set them to about 0.020" and see how it runs. If it doesn't run/ideal correctly you may have to do a compression test. It's it's still not showing good compression numbers than you would to do a leak down test to pinoint the failure.
Vid to be removed in 3..2.. :}
Car is still running great but a little sputtering at cold start when I rev (blip throttle) up to 3k. It's been doing that since I've gotten bigger injectors. The car is normal after car is fully warm. Instead of doing all of those tests, you think a bore scope can see damages?
Remove the vid btw for inappropriate behavior
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:01 PM

Detonation causes major engine damage.
To melt the plug electrode is bad. The extreme heat can melt holes in pistons. The first thing to usually go is the piston ring lands but you only really find out for sure when you pull the engine apart.
It looks like the other plug is OK that's why I questioned about the plug being tight enough.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
I run stock plugs with stock gap 33psi daily and up to 37psi on race gas, but have good coils. I don't think the issue is the plug in this case since you melted the tip.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I run stock plugs with stock gap 33psi daily and up to 37psi on race gas, but have good coils. I don't think the issue is the plug in this case since you melted the tip.
Wow makes me wonder if my tuner pushed my car a bit too much! COP ignition system would be great. I'll be looking into one of those in the near future
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That is definitely a tune issue, or you got bad gas.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 03:13 PM

Just a quick comment. I know I am harping about the plug not being tight but I have been in the game for a long long time and seen many engine failures and if the earth electrode burns off it's detonation caused by a number of problems timing too far advanced, lean fuel mixture or a plug issue. This problem can only be resolved by logging and see. I have seen plugs of the wrong heat range (too hot) melt the porcelain around the centre electrode to the point that it shielded the spark and failed to ignite the fuel/air and I have also seen the earth melt from the reasons I mentioned. LOG and DIAGNOSE. The only way.