Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil threw oil cap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil threw oil cap

Having a problem with oil coming out threw the cap, went out the other night an did a pull an car started stuttering so pulled over to find my oil cap came off and got oil all over, so filled it back up with oil an put cap back on and drove it home, new oil cap came in and put it on felt to seal nice an tight on like the old one, went out and cruising it drives just fine but once doing a pull got the same oil all over and looks like its coming from the oil cap again? any ideas.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedadiction
Having a problem with oil coming out through the cap, went out the other night an did a pull an car started stuttering so pulled over to find my oil cap came off and got oil all over, so filled it back up with oil an put cap back on and drove it home, new oil cap came in and put it on felt to seal nice an tight on like the old one, went out and cruising it drives just fine but once doing a pull got the same oil all over and looks like its coming from the oil cap again? any ideas.
So is it coming out through the actual cap or from around it?

Maybe a crack in the valve cover.....
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:27 PM

appears to be from the cap, not sure how valve cover couldve jus cracked
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure it's not from the dip stick tube?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
appears to be from the cap, not sure how valve cover couldve jus cracked
hmmm.......how is your crankcase ventilation?

Still seems weird that oil would be pushed through the cap though.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:15 PM

Dipstick tube is still down, which was the first place i checked, and i agree this is weird never had anything like it before.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My car did this on my old cap with out popping the dipstick tube. New cap solved it, but then I also did -10an vents in the valve cover because the crankcase pressure was making my turbo leak.

You probably have too much crank case pressure.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
My car did this on my old cap with out popping the dipstick tube. New cap solved it, but then I also did -10an vents in the valve cover because the crankcase pressure was making my turbo leak.

You probably have too much crank case pressure.
tried new cap an got the same thing, i think a catch can set up will be next for me, running out of other possibilities
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
A catch can doesnt do anything to help with crankcase pressure issues. Grab some popcorn and start rearing here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

I see your sig mentions quest for 10's which to me means you are running a boatload of boost larger turbo or a combination of the two which all leads to increased crankcase pressure. If your motor is built and built loosely that'll also contribute to increased crankcase pressure. As such you need to help your engine breathe.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

mine oozed oil out from under the cap until i drilled and tapped the valve cover
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heel2toe
A catch can doesnt do anything to help with crankcase pressure issues. Grab some popcorn and start rearing here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

I see your sig mentions quest for 10's which to me means you are running a boatload of boost larger turbo or a combination of the two which all leads to increased crankcase pressure. If your motor is built and built loosely that'll also contribute to increased crankcase pressure. As such you need to help your engine breathe.
I disagree, in fact, the only time I ever had trouble with crankcase pressure was when my catch can was full. I had my pcv valve deleted and replaced it with a -10an fitting, as well as drilled out the valve cover for a second -10an fitting to my catch can. I have pictures if anyone would like to see.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^You disagree with me yet you fail to truly comprehend what I'm saying as evident by your comment...let me try again. A catch can does absolutely NOTHING to help the engine breathe better. I'm not saying that they aren't important as I think they serve a purpose if a quality can is used and they are plumbed properly. I have a saikou michi dual catch can that I think works quite well.

However, you said you disagree with my comment and then talked about how you removed your PCV installed a -10an fitting on the back of the valve cover and drilled out the side port to -10an as well. What do you think that did for you? That is what solved your crankcase pressure issues not putting a catch can inline. A catch can will not help things breathe better and technically will even be a restriction albeit hopefully negligible if plumbed properly.

So as I said to the OP there is an awesome thread on this topic which he should read through and come up with a strategy to help alleviate his crankcase pressure issues.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^You disagree with me yet you fail to truly comprehend what I'm saying as evident by your comment...let me try again. A catch can does absolutely NOTHING to help the engine breathe better. I'm not saying that they aren't important as I think they serve a purpose if a quality can is used and they are plumbed properly. I have a saikou michi dual catch can that I think works quite well.

However, you said you disagree with my comment and then talked about how you removed your PCV installed a -10an fitting on the back of the valve cover and drilled out the side port to -10an as well. What do you think that did for you? That is what solved your crankcase pressure issues not putting a catch can inline. A catch can will not help things breathe better and technically will even be a restriction albeit hopefully negligible if plumbed properly.

So as I said to the OP there is an awesome thread on this topic which he should read through and come up with a strategy to help alleviate his crankcase pressure issues.
After looking at your catch can set up based off pictures off of the Internet I see ours are very much different. I should have added that mine is a dual filter vented catch can.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:07 PM

yes i have an fp black on e85 etc on stock block with cams an typical set up, so you seem to think installing a catch can wont solve my problem? Then what do you think i should do?

Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
yes i have an fp black on e85 etc on stock block with cams an typical set up, so you seem to think installing a catch can wont solve my problem? Then what do you think i should do?
read that thread he linked. Specifically the last 2 or 3 pages where i was helping him with his setup.