Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 transfer case removal questions

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Evo 8 transfer case removal questions

Meant to write assembly sorry

Ok so a week ago I found that my transfer case was leaking oil. Drained the fluids and transmission fluid was in my transfer case. After searching around I found that I will have to separate the transfer case from the transmission to replace the little o-ring.

Now I already ordered all the seals/orings(3 for where the transfer case meets the transmission, passengers side seal where the axle goes in and the seal to the driveline). My question is when bolting it up back together should I use anti-seize on the 6 transfer case bolts, axle nut and ball joint nut? Do I put anything on the output shaft when sticking it back in the transmission ? Thanks in advance !
Old May 25, 2015, 06:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
i've never used anti-seize but i do use a high-temp type of grease on the shaft (hehe). it's really thick; almost like wax. it does a good job of keeping that lock ring centered so you don't have a hard time snapping it back in.

Last edited by kaj; May 30, 2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 30, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

delete

Last edited by TomekEVO; Jun 1, 2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think he means the C-rings on the shafts.

I always use a little axle grease on the axles (seems appropriate) and on seals. I use it on the seals in hopes of keeping them from being nicked. I also lubricate the fasteners going into aluminium with light oil. You need to be careful here as excessive lubrication can cause hydraulic pressure in the threads. Other than that, if you follow the maker's torque specifications you shouldn't need thread locker.

Last edited by barneyb; May 30, 2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TomekEVO
Drained the fluids and transmission fluid was in my transfer case.
Just curious, how were you able to tell the fluids got mixed? I realize mine is leaking as well, so maybe having the same issue as you then.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:58 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by TomekEVO
Where is the lock ring located that you are talking about ? Or are you talking about the big o-ring where the transfer case mounts up to the transmission ?
any c-clip that locks a shaft into place. the male ends of axles, in between the trans/t-case, etc. if the clip stays centered, it will usually snap right in.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by white_turbo
Just curious, how were you able to tell the fluids got mixed? I realize mine is leaking as well, so maybe having the same issue as you then.
Opened the transfer case FILL plug and an excessive amount of oil came out, then opened the drain plug and oil came out as well which I am guessing was .6 quarts of oil. Then I opened the transmission drain plug and only about 1.5 quarts of fluid came out(I only drive this car about once/twice a week for 20-60 minutes each time so thank god)

When I first found the leak oil was coming out slowly it was noticeable but not in drops through where the tail pieces(sorry don't know the correct name) bolt up to each other to make the tail of the transfer case. There was oil on the well where the driveline is as well. The transfer case has a breather on top and that will get rid of pressure in my case it was extra oil. So reach up top from underneath the car and see if that is covered with oil as well, mine was covered so that was an another give away. Everything else was bone dry past the tail piece going to the transfer case and transmission.

Since I drained all the fluids about 2 weeks ago, I have been waiting for the seals/o-rings and some time to do this. I found on evom through searching that the little o-ring between the transfer case and transmission is either broken or not there which is causing the oil form the transmission to leak into the transfer case

Last edited by TomekEVO; May 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
given the option, use antiseize on the assembly bolts--steel to aluminum can cause issues and you don't need stripped case. good luck
Old May 30, 2015, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

delete

Last edited by TomekEVO; Jun 1, 2015 at 06:24 PM.