Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i decided to removed the BS. it's a stock evo 9 long block with 10k miles on it, so the stock BS bearing still look in great shape. i'm also going to put in S2 cams with springs and retainer, and do ARP head bolts also. going to run e85 with stock turbo, so a lot of torque.

Attached Thumbnails can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not-img_20150726_171420485_hdr-01.jpg   can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not-img_20150726_174845579_hdr-01.jpg   can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not-img_20150726_175658158_hdr-01.jpg   can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not-img_20150726_190431503-01.jpg   can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not-img_20150726_200438406-01.jpg  

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not

I wouldn't bother with GSC race shaft. The stub shaft is an OEM piece that works fine..
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I wouldn't bother with GSC race shaft. The stub shaft is an OEM piece that works fine..
the spare Evo 8 block that i got had the oem stub shaft, but i went with the GSC race shaft
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I build all my personal engines with balance shafts. I build all customer cars without them. I have not had a balance shaft related failure yet on my engines. I dont really care to have a discussion. from all the threads I have seen on the subject people who push taking them out dont truly know what they are there for in the first place. In short taking them out is certainly one less system to fail. but it does cause a whole assortment of other problems I care not deal with.

as far as reliability they are just as stout as any other component when everything is in proper functioning condition. problem is at first signs of detonation the balance shaft bearings are the first thing to go when the oil gets minor contamination.
Why do you not put them in customer cars but you do in your own?

I'm trying to figure out right now what I am going to do with my build. I am leaning towards keeping the balance shafts in.

How many people here have a 2.3 with the balance shafts? Curious.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
" A stub shaft allows the oil pump gears to push apart and wear into the aluminum pump. Aluminum that is being worn away will enter the clean oil stream and contaminate the engine bearings. Eventually this can result in the oil pump seizing." This is what AMS has to say about a stub shaft....
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Grain of salt, meanwhile folks have run engines with BS deletes and a Stub Shaft for years and years over 100k miles.

I will not be putting BS in my built engine... unsure on the Stub vs Race Shaft at this point though
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I think the engineers had good reason to put them in there and keep harmonics down.

I'm personally going to keep them with my small turbo. With the small MHI housing I'm sure backpressure is elevated at high rpm so things aren't great above 8000rpm anyway. My thoughts are with proper oil/belt/tensioner changes and less then 8000rpm they should last a while.

Now If I was going with a 6262 or larger the BS would be taken out and become paperweights. At that point it would go to 9300rpm like a champ. However the clutch,oil pump and transmission may not like that. At that level everything will have a reduced service life.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

it's just the BS belt system is poorly design imo. but then again, it's a 25 years old design.

the honda K20 use balance shafts that are chain and gear driven.

Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Why do you not put them in customer cars but you do in your own?

I'm trying to figure out right now what I am going to do with my build. I am leaning towards keeping the balance shafts in.

How many people here have a 2.3 with the balance shafts? Curious.
I dont put them in customers cars because if the customer runs his engine with detonation the balance shafts will be the first thing to fail. It would reflect back to me as a poorly built engine.

I have been building 2.3 for my cars for last ten years. the stroker engine needs the shafts more than a 2.0 does. the longer the stroke the heavier the harmonic. with 2.3s bolts back out from the vibration. had oil filter spin off at high speeds couple of times. first time is caused a fire and nearly burnt my fresh built car to the ground.

honda-guy, where did you get that bearing install tool? I need to get one of those. I dont agree the mitsu shafts are poorly designed. sure gears are reliable. but they are noisy.
The following 2 users liked this post by 94AWDcoupe:
evo8finally (Sep 27, 2018), kiley_sean (Feb 16, 2022)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I dont put them in customers cars because if the customer runs his engine with detonation the balance shafts will be the first thing to fail. It would reflect back to me as a poorly built engine.

I have been building 2.3 for my cars for last ten years. the stroker engine needs the shafts more than a 2.0 does. the longer the stroke the heavier the harmonic. with 2.3s bolts back out from the vibration. had oil filter spin off at high speeds couple of times. first time is caused a fire and nearly burnt my fresh built car to the ground.

honda-guy, where did you get that bearing install tool? I need to get one of those. I dont agree the mitsu shafts are poorly designed. sure gears are reliable. but they are noisy.
My 2.2 didn't have BS. All the bolts on my alternator backed out. Two of them gone completely. Luckily the lower alternator bracket bolt held the whole thing together. I would recommend using thread lock on any bolts you can.

I made the bearing driver quick in the lathe. I made the one for the small bearing first. Then was going to make one for the larger bearing but I found a washer that was almost the perfect side for the large bearing, so I just put that on the end of the driver. The larger bearing is on the outside so easy enough to handle. If you build engines on a regular base, it probably make things a lot easier. I'll sell it, don't think I'll be opening up another 4g63 anytime soon

And no one ever say Honda engines are loud. I'm a little bias though
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yea, the K24 in my Si is whisper quiet...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, since I trust my tuner, looks like I will be retaining the balance shafts in my 2.3.

Thanks for all the info/details.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will the balance shafts even be weighted correctly if on a fully built engine due to likely differently weighted aftermarket parts?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CeliOnce
Will the balance shafts even be weighted correctly if on a fully built engine due to likely differently weighted aftermarket parts?

Last edited by honda-guy; Jul 28, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
he doesnt go into it. but yes the mass of the shafts is clearly tuned to the setup. the 2.4 shafts are substantially (like 7lbs vs 5lbs) heavier than 2.0 shafts. ideally you want to keep the mass of piston/rod as close to the originals. that way the canceling will be close to the same you get with the factory build.

Quick Reply: can't decide to do balance shaft delete or not