Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hydramat Setups

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydramat Setups

Has anyone on the Evo's done any of the hydramat setups? Curious to hear what results have actually came of them. I'm doing one in my car but so far it hasn't ran yet. I can say finding line that is E85 submersion compliant has been difficult.

Pics of my setup, not in an Evo, but I figured people would be interested because this community makes actual power;

Hydramat Setups-gw5wzgk.jpg
Hydramat Setups-abmagsr.jpg

Hydramat Setups-3fohswx.jpg

Hydramat Setups-sr0mws3.jpg

Hydramat Setups-6ovlkw9.jpg
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That looks interesting. What did it cost? I was planning on just going to a surge tank when it came time to be concerned with fuel starvation..
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:42 PM

So here's the total cost of the setup, and is the entire fuel system sans injectors rail and FPR.

Holley Hydramat 15x15 - $320
Holley Magnets $25
Relay and wiring - $35
Magnafuel 750 Fuel pump $450
Full Blown sending unit $250 (I decided to use this vs making my own since it was easier, just needed something to pass the AN line through
Internal line & fittings $20

This setup is theoretically capable of flowing enough E85 for 1600hp according to Magnafuel, only limited by the pump I'm running. It's also the biggest single and comparable Weldon D2035-A

I could of done it cheaper by just using some bosch 044s but wanted the headroom. With this setup I should never have any fuel starvation ever and more fuel than I'll ever need. My biggest concern was running this all through 1/2 NPT vs a larger fitting since Holley doesn't offer any different fitting options on their mats. My goal was to not have a surge tank, the pumps, relays and everything else associated with a high flow fuel system that didn't require me to run a fuel cell as simply as possible.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
You wouldn't have wanted to used the Bosch 044s for E85 anyway. Bosch says they're good for about 500 hrs run time with E85.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...6426379pdf.pdf
Old Aug 30, 2015, 03:03 AM

Yup

That was the other problem. The challenge with the hydramat is that it's half inch NPT, and there is nothing that I could find that adapts a fuel sock connection to something sturdy enough to attach the mat to.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
You wouldn't have wanted to used the Bosch 044s for E85 anyway. Bosch says they're good for about 500 hrs run time with E85.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...6426379pdf.pdf
Wow, first I remember seeing that. A LOT of people, me included, run E85 through 044s
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.. in for results
Old Aug 30, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was curious about it when it came out. Road course application to prevent fuel starvation was my thought. I wouldn't be running E85, but I would call Holley and ask someone. Just something I noticed in your picture. Are those AN fittings to the mat? I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to run teflon tape on AN fitting. And I'm curious what the tape would do being submerged in fuel. In for results, and waiting on the price of the hydromat to drop lol.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Hydramat Setups

The Teflon is on the pipe fitting..
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
I was curious about it when it came out. Road course application to prevent fuel starvation was my thought. I wouldn't be running E85, but I would call Holley and ask someone. Just something I noticed in your picture. Are those AN fittings to the mat? I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to run teflon tape on AN fitting. And I'm curious what the tape would do being submerged in fuel. In for results, and waiting on the price of the hydromat to drop lol.

It was just a fitting I had lying around to check if it was ORB or not for mocking purposes that already had tape on it. Holley said that it's E85 capable and yes, it's actually 1/2NPT right off the mat itself.

Also holy cow me too on the price. It hurt spending $350 on a mat. I mean I like that I don't have to have a ridiculously expensive radium surge tank (I'd run a custom one anyway before I spent that kind of money) but it certainly all added up.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Man, was hoping that mat would be cheaper. Cool product, that's just steep on price when you can build and plumb a surge tank for the same price range.

I get that it's also a simpler solution too though and that has it's own benefits.

HEY...Wait a minute...what the hell fuel tank are we looking at here?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:53 PM

My s2000. Figured I'd post it here because Evo people actually make power and aren't all flat brim hat wearing kids like the Subaru crowd.

As for the surge tank route, I don't like going from 1 pump to 3 pumps that can fail. If the main pump fails cool, its failed. But with 3... eh. The other issue is on this particular car (The S2000) you still have starvation issues because of the garbage design of the swirl pot. I know there are also issues in the Evos but not nearly as bad.

On an unrelated note: I also have a 2006 STI that I was doing a ridiculous build on. Really wish I had an Evo instead and will get one once the STI is gone.

Last edited by x622; Aug 30, 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How well would one of these fit in an Evo tank?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I tried a Hydramat setup in my Evo X and I had it setup to also feed a external pump but not as big as yours.
The short version of the story is that the mat doesn't flow anywhere near enough to be able to supply a large volume demand and what makes the mat great, that is that it's pores seal through surface tension, is its biggest downfall...because the large suction of the pump actually starts sealing the pores of the mat and it can't keep flowing.
Good luck with your setup. I know I wasted a good chunk of money and time on mine and at the end Holley could not even give me a flow rate of any of the mats so I demanded a full refund.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by black E
I tried a Hydramat setup in my Evo X and I had it setup to also feed a external pump but not as big as yours.
The short version of the story is that the mat doesn't flow anywhere near enough to be able to supply a large volume demand and what makes the mat great, that is that it's pores seal through surface tension, is its biggest downfall...because the large suction of the pump actually starts sealing the pores of the mat and it can't keep flowing.
Good luck with your setup. I know I wasted a good chunk of money and time on mine and at the end Holley could not even give me a flow rate of any of the mats so I demanded a full refund.

Weren't you running a smaller cross shaped one with the 3/8th NPT pickup? 3/8th is a bit on the small side and combined with the significantly less surface area of the cross shaped mats (~55in² vs 225in²) I could see leading to some problems. Your findings are the reason I got the 15x15 mat instead of the smaller cross shaped ones. This one comes with a 1/2" NPT pickup which is better, but like you said, who knows if my pump won't overpower the mat and cause issues. The lack of flow data was another big concern.

I was really considering going full bore and picking up the 24x15 one but the $600 it costs is just far too much to swallow for an unproven technology that I'm expected to test for free. I also emailed Holley asking if they'd be willing to sell me one at a lesser price in exchange for me making sure that it "gets out there" on the forums but they didn't really want to play ball. This and the lack of flow data that they had was just disappointing and lead me to believe that they don't really know how to conduct business with the import/race scene outside of perhaps the professional circuit racers and the NA guys who run holley carbs and earls fittings. Here's hoping this thing works better.

Edit: Yup you were the guy with the 15x8 cross. Did they end up giving you lip on a refund?

Last edited by x622; Aug 30, 2015 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydramat Setups