Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rating not found for Pennzoil and GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rating not found for Pennzoil and GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid

Ok,

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers a bit here, but...

After having changed out the fluids to Redline MT90 in the tranny (GL4) and 75W90 in the diff. and rear (GL5) the EVO did shift and act much better.

However...high RPM shifts can get 'really' notchy...so I looked up if there was a better alternative to the Redline tranny fluid (I'm happy with the diff. and trans.)

Many EVO owners, and DSM owners are swearing up and down over the BG Synchroshift, which is the same thing as the GM Synchromech and Pennzoil Synchromesh.

If my tranny ever had a problem ... I know my dealer would come after me on what the manual states for using a API certified GL4 rated tranny fluid. So...I checked some internet sources and found this:

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Bulletin//...s/pdf/p21c.pdf

It basically says the Synchromesh was / is not GL4 rated! Ohhh nooo! So I immediately called my local GM dealership and asked if the GM 'rated' their Synchromesh ... and ... they did either!

So now...I'm leary about putting in the 'mesh stuff. Redline is good, but its cold performance really sucks, and its high RPM shift performance is 'better' than stock, but I think it could get better.

Suggestions...comments...always welcome.

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

The issue is the compatiblity of the fluid with "yellow metals". GL-4 fluids are OK, whereas GL-5 fluids are not. Check out this data sheet on Pennzoil Synchromesh, it states that it is compatible with "yellow metals" and thus safe to use in your EVO.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Do...omeshFluid.PDF
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

My guess is that BG Synchroshift, GM Synchromech and Pennzoil Synchromesh would all be viewed as voiding your warranty (Not GL4 rated). I'm in the same situation, but will be trying out the GM Synchromech anyway. Everything I've read points to those fluids being OK for our tranny.

My tranny has been bulletproof so far (knock on wood) but still doesn't shift as smoothly as it should. If my tranny goes out I'll have it rebuilt by a quality shop at my cost. I would prefer that to going through a second (or even third) OEM tranny with the same issues.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM Synchromesh and BG Syncroshift are NOT the same!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yo ShapeGSX,

A little positive 'proof' would be nice.

I'd be the first one to thank you for possibly setting me and record straight!

Later,

jcnel.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I've run both GM Syncromesh and BG Syncroshift. And they don't feel the same in the transmission.

The GM stuff went downhill much faster than BG in terms of shifting.

Either way, I'm not recommending using BG or GM anymore. I'm currently using BG, but I'm going to try switching to Neo RHD ($70 a gallon) for my next transmission fill-up.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

It was after 2 AM when I posted that response, and I was tired! A bit of digging shows the source I thought referenced all three as the same fluid only referenced the two syncromesh fluids, not BG Syncroshift.

I had heard these three fluids are basically the same stuff somewhere. That lead to more digging. Here's what I found:

Here's a link for BG Syncroshift: http://www.slowboyracing.com/Drivetr...ynco_info.html
Here's a Link for the GM PN refferenced in the former document: http://5speedtransmissions.com/gm_syncromesh.html

Based on those two links I feel comfortable believing that the two fluids are at least similiar.

Last edited by erioshi; Mar 25, 2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

The pennzoil synchromesh is Yellow metal friendly, it even says on the bottle. For brass, copper, etc...our tranny uses brass synchros from what I know...even the honda guys are using the synchromesh, in fact i hear its a TSB fix for some DSM's by mitsubishi. I have even heard you can purchase the synchromesh at some mitsu dealers. The GM synchromesh and Pennzoil synchromesh are the same...both have part numbers listed in the description as #12345349 if you are really worried about a rating, I would contact Pennzoil themselves who is supposed to make the synchromesh that GM uses themselves.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Shape, keep us posted with what you find. I haven't found anything I really like yet and would appreciate your feedback.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

tanks.

Thanks for the info. and research.

In the mean time, I've contacted my Mitsu. dealership and had them try to find 'something' regarding the DSM TSB fix for some Mitsu. cars. They couldn't / haven't found anything. Personally I think they're being lazy,, but if we could have somebody here (perferrablely from Mitsu.) confirm a TSB that allows the usage of BG Synchrosift (and hopefully Synchromesh) in Mitsu. trannys?

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

ShapeGSx, do you have any opinions on Redline's MT-90?
Old Mar 25, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

First off read the rest of the penzzoil bottle or the link below

click here

it is designed specifically for certain GM and chrysler vehicles specifically AWD if you research on the internet you will find this too be true

-non

I just changed mine yesterday... I used 3 qts. penzoil syncromesh for the tranny. I also bought 1 qt. of Heavy shockproof for the transfer case (per RRE) and I also bought 1 qt. of reline 75-90 for the rear diff. (per RRE) feels much better now... the magnetic plugs were literally covered with crap. anyways just mine take on it...

Last edited by nonmature; Mar 25, 2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by 93civEJ1
The pennzoil synchromesh is Yellow metal friendly, it even says on the bottle. For brass, copper, etc...our tranny uses brass synchros from what I know...even the honda guys are using the synchromesh, in fact i hear its a TSB fix for some DSM's by mitsubishi. I have even heard you can purchase the synchromesh at some mitsu dealers. The GM synchromesh and Pennzoil synchromesh are the same...both have part numbers listed in the description as #12345349 if you are really worried about a rating, I would contact Pennzoil themselves who is supposed to make the synchromesh that GM uses themselves.
I got the part number of the GM synchromesh, off of the GM bottle, from the Mitsu dealer shelf. They had the stuff stocked due to the TSB (so said the parts guy) for the fix for "notchy shifting" in the early DSM cars. He even wrote down the part number for me and told me it would be cheaper to just go to the GM dealer to purchase it... nice guy.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

great info.

Thanks peoples,

I think the best we can say for now is that the Synchromesh stuff works, and there is a TSB out there to use it on some DSM trannys.

I wish I could comfortably put the S.Mesh in, meaning at least having a GL4 rating on it, but that's life. A TSB is a feather in our cap as users, but an actual reference number or something would be even stronger evidence concerning the safe usage of S.Mesh.

J.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I am really happy with the Syncromesh so far. I have close to 3000 miles on it so far and it still shifts smooth.

Quick Reply: Rating not found for Pennzoil and GM Synchromesh Tranny Fluid