Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wrap Exhaust to Protect Drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Wrap Exhaust to Protect Drivetrain?

All,

In my ongoing quest to improve the car, one thing I've been thinking about lately is wrapping the exhaust in areas that run close to the drivetrain - trans, t-case, and rear diff. I know most wrapping discussions I've seen focus on the downpipe, header, etc.

Has anyone done this on the actual exhaust under the car for to protect drivetrain?

If not wrapping the exhaust, laying some against the sides of the drivetrain components that face the exhaust

:: edit, I hear laying against drivetrain components could harm their ability to dissipate their own heat, so maybe that's a no go -

new idea:

Amazon.com: DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50': Car Electronics Amazon.com: DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50': Car Electronics

to wrap areas close to drivetrain, and then spray with:

Amazon.com : DEI 010301 Black High-Temperature Silicone Coating : Automotive Exhaust Coatings : Car Electronics Amazon.com : DEI 010301 Black High-Temperature Silicone Coating : Automotive Exhaust Coatings : Car Electronics

to seal it. I heard the wrap itself is really effective in preventing heat from coming out, then spray to prevent water/dirt from getting in?

thoughts???

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The rear diff is not close enough to the exhaust to cause issues, and their is plenty of airflow back there. The tcase is close, you can get the downpipe ceramic or swaintech white lightning coated to help their. Can also do the manifold and turbine housing to lower under hood temps.

I read somewhere that someone put heat reflective tape on the oil pan where the down pipe goes through and saw no difference in oil temps.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

thanks! you're all over it lol

apparently they need the surface area to dissipate their own heat, probably bes twould be a heat shield around the exhaust, so i'll probably leave this one alone
Old Feb 4, 2016, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

It's what happens when you spend a lot of time on hold on the phone at work all day...lol
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I hear you - OKAY, latest idea -- I'll update the thread too:

Amazon.com: DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50': Car Electronics Amazon.com: DEI 010127 2" Titanium Exhaust/ Header Wrap - 50': Car Electronics

to wrap areas close to drivetrain, and then spray with:

Amazon.com : DEI 010301 Black High-Temperature Silicone Coating : Automotive Exhaust Coatings : Car Electronics Amazon.com : DEI 010301 Black High-Temperature Silicone Coating : Automotive Exhaust Coatings : Car Electronics

to seal it. I heard the wrap itself is really effective in preventing heat from coming out, then spray to prevent water/dirt from getting in?

this would conceivably make the exhaust exiting the car hotter, and more importantly, the turbo as well?

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

settled on a solution: shop here quoted me $60 to get a section of the exhaust ceramic coated - seems like a decent idea, i'll take off the bit closest to the drivetrain parts and have it done - the rest i'll keep normal so it can dissipate heat
Old Feb 5, 2016, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can speak from building quite a few evo's and an sti with this in mind and can say I've never taken the time to take measurements to quantify anything except for my mr and that was just going off the factory oil temp gauge that was the drain plug bun. What I can say is I have wrapped most downpipe with high temp ceramic fiberglass wrap and it works well as far as coming in off hot laps it isn't burning you when you have to slide under the car on occasion. Definite difference in radiant heat. Radiant heat in my mind goes in all directions including the transfer case which we don't need to be getting any hotter then it has to be. However I remember reading a few articles on showing that heat wrap is dependent on how tightly you wrap and overlap and can create hot spots in the pipe causing fatigue in those areas. Thermal imaging was provided in the articles to illustrate the point. On my personal cars and a few people I've built for with patience I ceramic coat the downpipes. As far as being under the car and radiant heat is concerned they seem to be the same heat wise as a wrapped pipe. However no worry of hot spots forming as its coated evenly and bonus of not ending up itchy af because you bumped up against it. Or during the process of wrapping which sucks when done correctly. I noticed the gauge on my mr from my first dp that was given to me un coated to the one I bought coated that my oil temp gauge would read slightly lower on the factory gauge, so take that for what it is. I do like that coated exhaust components when done with a high temp ceramic stay nice for quite a while and when you turn the car off you can damn near grab them and wrap your hands around them without burning yourself. And if you follow the belief that turbos spoil faster with the heat contained and exhausts expedite gases quicker when the heat is contained then you gain a benefit there even if not measurable by the butt dyno.

Sorry for my ramblings, but in short I will say from experience ceramic coating a downpipe is a worthwhile investment for several reasons.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

^

thanks for the input, i am thinking i'll ceramic coat, at least near the area.

i was actually worried by the increase in heat - won't it put more wear on the turbo? and make the exhaust coming out hotter? that's why i was only thinking to do the area in the front near the drivetrain
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:45 PM
EvoM Guru

It won't hurt turbo.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the wraps and creating weak points, one formed in my wrapped DP and eventually turned into a hole. new dp/o2 dump will be ceramic coated. my cbe has an elbow pipe from the mid pipe to the muffler pipe which runs right next to the rear diff and i was considering having that coated as well
Old May 13, 2016, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone have any documentation on temp differences with coated downpipe?
Old May 13, 2016, 03:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I've seen 20* difference between an unwrapped DP and wrapped on the street.
Old May 13, 2016, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

not bad. hopefully more for ceramic, and on the track.