Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Evo, whts wrong with this clutch???

Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo, whts wrong with this clutch???

Hi, i just got a new to me evo 8mr, not my first evo either. I dont know whats the clutch set up into it, but here is my problem. When engaging first gear from a stop it has a very small window where it engages, and if u rev too high or too low the whole car vibrates while clutch is engaging, basiccaly it just grip suddenly and the rpm needs to be perfect at that point, kinda kike a press button on/off, cannot drive slowly in traffic with clutch half engaged, car would vibrate too much and stall. After that, driving even aggressively the clutch is perfect, no slipping whatsoever , it has a fp red on it. The whole thing get worst if i try to engage from a stop in the middle of a hill, if i dont control the pedal very carfully it just make the whole car vibrate. So is it a cluth problem that need to replace something? Or is there some clutches that just behave this way? Thanks for ur help.......
Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Maybe a simple clutch pedal adjustment. See manual below

Maybe a bleed would help?

Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jamaicaboost
Hi, i just got a new to me evo 8mr, not my first evo either. I dont know whats the clutch set up into it, but here is my problem. When engaging first gear from a stop it has a very small window where it engages, and if u rev too high or too low the whole car vibrates while clutch is engaging, basiccaly it just grip suddenly and the rpm needs to be perfect at that point, kinda kike a press button on/off, cannot drive slowly in traffic with clutch half engaged, car would vibrate too much and stall. After that, driving even aggressively the clutch is perfect, no slipping whatsoever , it has a fp red on it. The whole thing get worst if i try to engage from a stop in the middle of a hill, if i dont control the pedal very carfully it just make the whole car vibrate. So is it a cluth problem that need to replace something? Or is there some clutches that just behave this way? Thanks for ur help.......
Sounds like an ACT HD 6 puck clutch.

There are a couple clutches for the Evo that you cannot slip at all. You either bring it up at the right time or you stall.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 08:37 PM

Im just trying to understand if its the type of clutch like this or if there is a problem. If this is a 6 puk clutch i can try to get used to it and no need to change something thats not broken.. About the adjustnebt i just try to put it lower, it is a little easier to take off, but still cant slip it slowly, it really.m feels like an on/off button.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Sounds like you have a 6 puk clutch plate as mentioned above. They are not forgiving and you will have to adapt to their nature.

A regular street disc clutch is allot more forgiving in daily driving. Your only alternative is to swap it out if you can't stand it.

No way to contact previous owner to find out ? Other then that you will have to remove and inspect.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 06:52 AM

Prrvious owner doesnt know,not a car guy. He said he changed clutch few months ago,thats all he know. Could i just change the clutch plate,if the case i have a 6 puk, and keep the pressure plate? Or i better have them both ready when taking down everything?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jamaicaboost
Prrvious owner doesnt know,not a car guy. He said he changed clutch few months ago,thats all he know. Could i just change the clutch plate,if the case i have a 6 puk, and keep the pressure plate? Or i better have them both ready when taking down everything?
If you tear down to inspect you might as well replace with a new clutch/disc and throw out bearing. Resurface the flywheel and your driveabilty will be allot more pleasant.

You won't hate your car anymore.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like to me its a NON SPRUNG 6 puck disc to me. With a SPRUNG 6 puck disc it is very street/daily friendly to drive but the non 6 pucks are not because they don't have the springs to dampen the shock