Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just got my rebuilt motor had some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my rebuilt motor had some questions.

Just got my motor back from the machine shop after a complete rebuilt. 03 evolution 8.

-185 pounds of compression
-8:8:1 compression ratio
-Manley pistons
-manly h beam rods
-balancer shaft deleted
-fully balanced
-stock crank and cams

Questions are

-what power will this motor take?
-185 pound of compression isn't stock is it?
-what boost will this handle?
-if this is anything special do I need a tune right away? Last thing I wanna do is screw up a brand new motor.

Sorry for the questions this is the first motor I've actually had built so I wanna make sure everything is right. Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
600 torque or so because h beam. I beam is stronger.
Dont quote me on this.
Yes tune asap
Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

185 psi compression is great but sounds high for a 8.1 comp piston.
But im no expert either
Old Oct 27, 2016, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

That's what all the paperwork has said. Can I get away with driving it for a bit without a tune or will it really mess things up?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
600 torque or so because h beam. I beam is stronger.
Dont quote me on this.
Yes tune asap
I would agree with this.

It would be wise to get at least a base map from a reputable tuner so that you can seat the rings and drive around town without having to worry about big problems running lean or rich. I personally wouldn't start the car without a base map. Depending on the size of the injectors it may not start anyway. If you are still on stock tune and injectors you will be fine for a while, but it is not optimal (too rich).

-pal215
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
I would agree with this.

It would be wise to get at least a base map from a reputable tuner so that you can seat the rings and drive around town without having to worry about big problems running lean or rich. I personally wouldn't start the car without a base map. Depending on the size of the injectors it may not start anyway. If you are still on stock tune and injectors you will be fine for a while, but it is not optimal (too rich).

-pal215
ahh man that's not what I wanna hear. Stock injectors as far as I know.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

If its stock injectors i guess you could start car.

Stay out of boost until tuned.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah really what you need a base map that you can WOT at though; you need to seat the rings.

The break in procedure I've used on several motors is the following:

First, you will want to use conventional 5-30, and a half a pint of

lucas break in additive, unless you are using specific bradd penn break in oil.

1. Once assembled and ready to start the car, give everything a good once over. Checking all fluid

levels and wiring connectors

2. Cycle the key a few times to let the fuel pump prime

3. Hold gas pedal to the floor (this shuts off the injectors) and crank for 10-15 seconds. This will

build some oil pressure as well as continue to get fuel right to the fuel rail

4. Start the engine, and let it idle until the engine is up to operating temp, while doing this,

monitor your afrs, fuel trims, and keep an eye on fluid levels, to make sure there are no leaks

5. After the engine has reached operating temp, let her cool a little and change the oil.

6. Once the new oil is in, take the car for a ride varying rpm with lots of decel and staying out of

boost, repeat for 20 miles

7. After 20 miles, you can start giving it more load getting right to positive boost pressure, no more

than 1-2 psi though, and lots of decel engine breaking. Repeat this for 100 miles, and then

change the oil

8. After 100 miles, start giving it more and more engine load getting upward of 5-10psi until you

get to 500 miles.

9. Once you reach 500 miles, change the oil, and now you can start doing some wot logs of

wastegate spring pressure. You can do spring pressure pulls until you reach 1000 miles. At 1000

miles change the oil again, and you are ready to run a quality motor oil. I like to use 5-50 motor

oil. And then you can start tuning for power.

Had a lot of success with this method. There are all sorts of ways of doing it...but you NEED a good base map that will not overboost.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:12 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Yeah really what you need a base map that you can WOT at though; you need to seat the rings.

The break in procedure I've used on several motors is the following:

First, you will want to use conventional 5-30, and a half a pint of

lucas break in additive, unless you are using specific bradd penn break in oil.

1. Once assembled and ready to start the car, give everything a good once over. Checking all fluid

levels and wiring connectors

2. Cycle the key a few times to let the fuel pump prime

3. Hold gas pedal to the floor (this shuts off the injectors) and crank for 10-15 seconds. This will

build some oil pressure as well as continue to get fuel right to the fuel rail

4. Start the engine, and let it idle until the engine is up to operating temp, while doing this,

monitor your afrs, fuel trims, and keep an eye on fluid levels, to make sure there are no leaks

5. After the engine has reached operating temp, let her cool a little and change the oil.

6. Once the new oil is in, take the car for a ride varying rpm with lots of decel and staying out of

boost, repeat for 20 miles

7. After 20 miles, you can start giving it more load getting right to positive boost pressure, no more

than 1-2 psi though, and lots of decel engine breaking. Repeat this for 100 miles, and then

change the oil

8. After 100 miles, start giving it more and more engine load getting upward of 5-10psi until you

get to 500 miles.

9. Once you reach 500 miles, change the oil, and now you can start doing some wot logs of

wastegate spring pressure. You can do spring pressure pulls until you reach 1000 miles. At 1000

miles change the oil again, and you are ready to run a quality motor oil. I like to use 5-50 motor

oil. And then you can start tuning for power.

Had a lot of success with this method. There are all sorts of ways of doing it...but you NEED a good base map that will not overboost.
Holly crap that's a lotta oil changes. I used to do the same, though LOL. All the shops build engines, do an oil change, and then dyno those *****es LOL. I've shortened my break in proceedure, considerably. Like you said, though: lots of ways. I think we all agree on a change after startup, though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I have a break in that I'm soppossed to follow so I think I'm gonna follow that. But thanks for that info. I'm gonna call English racing down by Portland and see what they have to say about what I have going on before I even start the car.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:25 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
If you had someone build your engine, I'd definitely follow their recommendation. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, it's 100% on you.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
If you had someone build your engine, I'd definitely follow their recommendation. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, it's 100% on you.
yea I'm gonna follow his procedures. Supposedly after 500mi I can use any oil I want and drive how I want.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Sounds like you got a stock rebuild. 8.8:1 compression is stock. So it shouldn't need tuned.

I wouldn't push those Hbeams much past 550wtq.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Sounds like you got a stock rebuild. 8.8:1 compression is stock. So it shouldn't need tuned.

I wouldn't push those Hbeams much past 550wtq.
^^^^ this, finally some common sense has been given..
Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
^^^^ this, finally some common sense has been given..
i didn't see why I needed a tune either with the 8:8:1. But I was wondering about the compression being 185. What's stock? Like 145?

Quick Reply: Just got my rebuilt motor had some questions.