Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TSCOMPTUNED Engine Review - SLVRNBLK's Project MJ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up TSCOMPTUNED Engine Review - SLVRNBLK's Project MJ

Those who have followed my build (link to thread below) know that several months back I ran into an issue with my previously built motor. I have been a customers of Tom's for some time now and I asked him if
he would be willing to help me. He did by diagnosing the issues with my motor and giving me some much needed advice. At about this time, Tom had begun his engine building program. He had built several
motors and things were really taking off for him. As a solution to my problem, Tom offered me his very own personally built 2.3L he was going to instal in his own car. To do that for a customer speaks volumes
and I gladly took his offer. The motor was installed along with my new set-up and things turned out perfectly.

Fast forward to now. I've been finalizing my build now, adding a few little touches (installed the stronger Evo 9 timing belt, fuel feed line, etc.) and getting the car to my very picky specifications. While finalizing everything I decided to do a leak-down and compression test (was swapping out plugs so hey, what the heck) just to see where the motor was at. Well, I'll let the pics below speak for themselves. Rest assure,
Tom knows what hes doing when assembling these engines. His attention to detail and his meticulous work ethic is second to none. If you have any doubt about his engines, I'm here to tell you, you have no
worries! Rest assure your getting the best built engines around. Tom, thank you for all the years of support. I will continue to seek your professional assistance and advice for the foreseeable future!

Engine Specs:
TSCOMPTUNED 2.3L
Brand New 4g63 block
Manley turbo tuff billet crank
Manley turbo tuff i-beam rods
Wiseco HD 1400 85mm 9.0 pistons
ACL Race bearings throughout
ARP Main studs
Balance Shaft eliminator

Name:  TC_0.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  TC_2.jpg
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  TC_3.jpg
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  TC_4.jpg
Size:  148.1 KB

Name:  TC_5.jpg
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  TC_6.jpg
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  TC_7.jpg
Size:  117.6 KB

Last edited by SLVRNBLK; Oct 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 05:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for the awesome review Oz! HG Motorsports facility is amazing. Wish my shop was that nice. Maybe some day

Compression is perfect. That engine is ready to extract some serious power!

Thanks again for choosing us to do your build and the kind words!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Tom, the guys at HG were impressed with the numbers, motor is strong as a bull!
Can't thank you enough for all the years of support
Old Nov 13, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom anyone you suggest or have worked with to remove ship and install an engine in the SoCal area? You can PM me

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2016, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome review!! How did you choose to break in the motor?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome review!! How did you choose to break in the motor?
Tom has specific instructions on break-in which he goes over with you when you purchase a motor from him. Be prepared for a lot of oil changes
Old Nov 15, 2016, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Tom anyone you suggest or have worked with to remove ship and install an engine in the SoCal area? You can PM me
Tom can ship his engines anywhere, he's shipped as far as Pakistan I believe.
It will ultimately be up to you to decide on the shop that will do the work. There are plenty of capable shops based on your location that can do the work. I don't think he has a personal relationship with anyone per say, but I can speak with my personal experience with HG in San Diego. That entire process was as smooth as silk.
The following users liked this post:
tscompusa (Nov 16, 2016)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes tom has shipped an engine to Pakistan.i have that engine and its a badass one.4g64 based 2.2.no oil consumption no cold start rattles and its smooth as silk.was making 600+ on straight pump.now will be doing fitronic tune very soon and see where we end up.
thanks TOM.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

^
Old Nov 16, 2016, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverevo05

Thanks
I think I pmed you if not let me know. I can definitely work something out with a local shop for you to install our long block or short block.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pakevo4
yes tom has shipped an engine to Pakistan.i have that engine and its a badass one.4g64 based 2.2.no oil consumption no cold start rattles and its smooth as silk.was making 600+ on straight pump.now will be doing fitronic tune very soon and see where we end up.
thanks TOM.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 09:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
^

Old Nov 16, 2016, 09:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Tom can ship his engines anywhere, he's shipped as far as Pakistan I believe.
It will ultimately be up to you to decide on the shop that will do the work. There are plenty of capable shops based on your location that can do the work. I don't think he has a personal relationship with anyone per say, but I can speak with my personal experience with HG in San Diego. That entire process was as smooth as silk.
Yes If near HG id definitely choose them. They are top notch and meticulous as you can possibly be in an Automotive facility.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I think I pmed you if not let me know. I can definitely work something out with a local shop for you to install our long block or short block.

Did not get a pm

Let me know. I'm looking at your 2.0 LR
Old Nov 22, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I reeeeeeeeallly tried to give TScomptuned my business, but after many attempts at contacting, emailing, etc I was never able to get a hold of em with questions I had. ( though I did get some quick answers to on FB ).

I understand they are busy, and that's great. I'm happy they are thriving and have awesome reviews. But I just had some questions regarding what I wanted on my build and was never able to get that out to them.

That being said, I've heard nothing but great things from them and recommend them to my friends. Even my neighbor who is tuned by them has his evo running really strong.

Last edited by Chrispy0530; Nov 22, 2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spelling typos

Quick Reply: TSCOMPTUNED Engine Review - SLVRNBLK's Project MJ