Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 fresh motor only getting 2-4psi oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Your issue is not due to oil jets. You need to find the actual issue.

You either have an issue with your oil pump/pick up. Or you did the balance shaft delete without rolling the bearing. It's not likely, but you could have WAY to much side clearance on the rods. Although, I don't think that would cause this drastic of an issue.

That is bad internet advice. If people think there is no need to cool the piston in a forced induction engine, let them deal with that.
I'm still going to take off the oil pump and inspect it. I was just asking about the oil jets since the pan is coming off again I was going to delete the oil jets.
But if you guys say is better to keep em then I'll do that.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 03:05 PM

And I'm trying to get this motor running the right way I spend a good chunk of money and want this to last.
That's why I'm asking questions since you guys have been working on this engine's longer
Old Dec 19, 2016, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
.15" or .0015"?

And side clearance is not the bearing clearance. You measure it with a feeler gauge with the rod installed. If side clearance is too big, it allows the oil to escape from the rod bearing too quickly, which will have an adverse effect on oil pressure.

Old Dec 19, 2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
.15" or .0015"?

And side clearance is not the bearing clearance. You measure it with a feeler gauge with the rod installed. If side clearance is too big, it allows the oil to escape from the rod bearing too quickly, which will have an adverse effect on oil pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqL7bho2No
Oh no I didn't measure that. I'll do it when I have it apart
Old Jan 12, 2017, 04:05 PM

What's the word? Did you find the issue? For your pressure to be that low I would think it involves the pump or the pickup. Not to insult you, but did you install the gears correctly in the pump when you packed it?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by spoolin98
What's the word? Did you find the issue? For your pressure to be that low I would think it involves the pump or the pickup. Not to insult you, but did you install the gears correctly in the pump when you packed it?
I haven't mess with it yet. And for the gears I don't think you can mess up on that. they can only go one way and the dots have to line up.
Is trippy that when I replaced the oil pick up it had good pressure at idle and revs.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Make sure everything is properly fitted including the insides of the oil pump. There's specifications in the FSM. There's no future in running a new engine on a worn out pump.

I was watching a Youtube video - I think it was on how to change oil. Hey, if they have tools out I will watch. Anyway the guy starts the engine and no oil pressure. The only thing he'd touched was oil and filter. So, he swapped in a different filter and bingo - oil pressure. I wouldn't have thought that possible.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ef8b16
I haven't mess with it yet. And for the gears I don't think you can mess up on that. they can only go one way and the dots have to line up.
Is trippy that when I replaced the oil pick up it had good pressure at idle and revs.

You're using a gasket on the oil pickup tube right?
That's what I was checking, making sure you aligned the dots.
Is this an oem pump? Brand new case and brand new gears?
What weight oil?
I'm assuming you are using an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? Mechanical or electronic? Have you tried a different gauge?
Where are you tapped for oil pressure reading?
If you pull the valve cover and crank the motor (no fuel), do you see oil seeping out of the lifters?

Last edited by spoolin98; Jan 20, 2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 07:50 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no point in trying to find the culprit based on if's. It is awful but you have to take it apart.

Some checks can be made with the engine in the car:
- Head HLA torqued down?
- oil jets torque
- general installation of pump, pickup, oil filter housing and oil cooler.

if there is no external leaks and you can't find the problem easily than you have to begin the hard work. Take the pump apart and inspect its gears. If they look fine - I have seen pumps with welded teeth in cars built by renowed shops - than you will have to inspect the bearings.

If the oil is not getting to the head you might have a big leak on the block. The kind that happens when someone delete the balance shafts and forget to change the BS bearings to close the holes, or have issues with a leaking oil jet.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 04:18 PM

Update.
Turns out it was the bearing on the oil pump drive/balance shaft. "Rear one"
You were able to move the shaft up,down and side to side.
I still put a new front cover/ pump just in case since is not fun taking that motor apart.
Pressure is at 22psi at idle and 68psi at 3k rpm
I wanna thank everyone for your help.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ef8b16
Update.
Turns out it was the bearing on the oil pump drive/balance shaft. "Rear one"
You were able to move the shaft up,down and side to side.
I still put a new front cover/ pump just in case since is not fun taking that motor apart.
Pressure is at 22psi at idle and 68psi at 3k rpm
I wanna thank everyone for your help.

Now it seems your pressure might be too high. 68psi at 3k rpms is ridiculously high. You should have about 10 psi for every 1k rpms's, what is the pressure when you're at WOT?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

His oil pressure is fine. The 4g63 oil pump makes a lot of pressure. Mitsubishi wasn't ****ing around when they designed...lol
Old Apr 17, 2017, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I remember the warning in my DSM handbook. It was AWD 4G63 with a tiny 14b turbo. The warning - don't use a cheap oil filter because the filter may pop - not their exact words.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 03:53 PM
EvoM Guru

running 15w50, my car is like 85psi at 3800rpm lol.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is very high if you still have balance shafts. In my VR4, I see about 70psi cruising down the highway at about 3000-3500rpm, 10w-40 but I do not have balance shafts. At idle, 1000rpm, I am around 20-25psi.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 fresh motor only getting 2-4psi oil pressure