Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Going to 71HTA on my 05 MR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Going to 71HTA on my 05 MR

Ok so the original 05 MR 10.5 turbo finally let go at 101K . Didnt grenade, but making nasty whining sounds = not nice :-( ... Still it was running 23 - 27 psi since 2007 which is a pretty good track record. Gotta love Mitsu turbos !!

Im upgrading to the 71hta CHRA and 84 mm compressor cover from FP. According to the FP website that is for the evo 9 and has the 84 mm compressor cover, so im getting the install kit for the EVO 8 and the 84 mm intake pipe they sell as well.

James Emmino from EBTEC here in Atlanta will be doing the work.

it is unknown if the CHRA shed metal bits into the engine or if either wheel was compromised.

Here is my question while we are waiting on FP: To make sure this lasts, should the oil cooler and lines be flushed? What about the oil pan to ensure if anything was in there it doesnt get into the cooler. What about the oil line going to the turbo? Remove and flush ? And if the compressor wheel shows signs of contact with the cold side housing, should the intercooler and piping be flushed ?

Im thinking : remove the oil cooler and cooler lines and flush well. Drop oil pan and thoroughly clean. Remove and flush the intercooler and clean piping. Remove and flush the oil line to turbo. Re-install cooler, lines and oil line to turbo. Fill with 10w30 dino oil new filter and idle 10 minutes then drain, remove oil cooler, lines and oil line to turbo and re-flush. Re-install everything with new filter. Finally refill with Mobil 10w30 again.

Then do the new turbo install.....

UPDATE 18Feb2017. First VD posted see attachment. 28 psi tapering to 21.8. Pull only went to 6000 due to traffic. Ignore the AFRMAP as i cant log WBO2 for some reason, 11.8 AFR off the gauge from 3500 up. IDC was 77.8% at 6000. 2 lines of 2 KS at 4500 in the log. Curve looks very similar to one posted by TSComptuned for a car he tuned in Arizona. See his post in the tuning section. All i have to is fix the tune from 6000 to 7000. I would think it will do 310-320 whp then. Remember this is on 2005 VIII MR 93 octane 71HTA stock injectors and custom 2.5 inch exhaust. Puts on flame suit...Torch away LOL
Attached Files
File Type: docx
17Feb2017 3rd gear pull.docx (72.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Feb 18, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

After the install of the 71HTA

Ok so after we get everything back together, i will want to re-tune to take advantage of the 51 lbs of air from the 71 HTA.

Currently, it is stock turbo with Forge WGA and Evo 9 metal DV, GM 3 port, custom downpipe, 2.5" HFC, stock midpipe, then Magna flow 2.5" custom rear section. Walbro 255 and stock injectors, Amsoil intake. Very Custom 96940011 ROM but i do have a 96530706 ROM that i swap out occasionally.

I do not wish to go to 3" as that is just too loud ( and more expense ) so i will be keeping the boost to 22-25 psi. NOT going any further with power mods or cams to make sure the 6 spd stays ok and stock clutch with 30K on it isnt over powered ( no issues with it yet )

I am thinking to go to larger injectors. If I go to the larger injectors, i would stay at 750 cc range. What injectors should i then get? Dont want to mess with resistor packs etc and dont want the fuel mileage to go to crap either.

LMK.

Milburn
Old Jan 8, 2017, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Ok so after we get everything back together, i will want to re-tune to take advantage of the 51 lbs of air from the 71 HTA.

Currently, it is stock turbo with Forge WGA and Evo 9 metal DV, GM 3 port, custom downpipe, 2.5" HFC, stock midpipe, then Magna flow 2.5" custom rear section. Walbro 255 and stock injectors, Amsoil intake. Very Custom 96940011 ROM but i do have a 96530706 ROM that i swap out occasionally.

I do not wish to go to 3" as that is just too loud ( and more expense ) so i will be keeping the boost to 22-25 psi. NOT going any further with power mods or cams to make sure the 6 spd stays ok and stock clutch with 30K on it isnt over powered ( no issues with it yet )

I am thinking to go to larger injectors. If I go to the larger injectors, i would stay at 750 cc range. What injectors should i then get? Dont want to mess with resistor packs etc and dont want the fuel mileage to go to crap either.

LMK.

Milburn
You should look up Evolved Injection. They are local, make great injectors and are a group of great guys.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the post. James has been working on my car for years and i trust him. Very detailed approach and familiar with Evo's as well. And he owns one :-)

Evolved appears to work on a variety of cars but most of their posts are about 2jz and j engines etc.

I'm sticking with what i know :-)

Old Jan 8, 2017, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I would suggest 3", but look for the HKS sport exhaust. I used it when my first daughter was born and it made the car very quiet. It's like 400$ usd well worth its beans!

are you on a 9.8cm or 10.5 housing ?

I always thought a 9.8 would make a fun street car if kept simple enough
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

/\/\/\

10.5 cm 05 MR turbo so will re-use that housing. My custom 2.5 " exhaust / HFC/Magnaflow rear section is quiet and pretty free flowing and i dont want to swap it so i will be keeping the boost 23 ish on the 71HTA.

But yes i thought about, it isnt about making tons of power though......im assuming i need the injectors, we will see once I start tuning again after the install. If the AFR is ok for what ever boost and timing it will run, then i wont need them

Appreciate your thoughts ! :-)

Bump for more thoughts on the flushing procedures....Should I just replace the oil cooler ? It is an aftermarket 12 row about 13-14" wide with -10AN SS lines direct to the filter housing ...similar to Mocal ones

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Jan 8, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
If you want to free up some horsepower and minimize lag add in a 02 dump, port the exhaust manifold, and port the hotside.

Recommend using ID 1000 injectors.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the post. James has been working on my car for years and i trust him. Very detailed approach and familiar with Evo's as well. And he owns one :-)

Evolved appears to work on a variety of cars but most of their posts are about 2jz and j engines etc.

I'm sticking with what i know :-)

Evolved is a 2J shop but the guy behind their injectors is a big Evo guy. He owns one himself, and has a lot of experience working with companies you know very well

Either way, there is nothing wrong with the typical ID/FIC stuff either. I like supporting local businesses when the quality is there.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yep. i appreciate it Whit......James is local and i have used him for several years. Good guy and very detailed oriented.

Not trying to make big power or push the 71hta hard. Because it flows better than the 8 10.5 and the IX turbo, i should be able to reduce boost (from the current 27 tapering to 23) down to 23 flat and keep the EGT' way down. That way since i have the Walboro 255 ( 6 months old BTW) i may not need large injectors to cool the combustion chambers down. And less fuel required...

So we will see what happens once we start tuning on it with first with the stock injectors and then if truly necessary, 750 cc ones.

So again if 750 injectors are truly necessary, then which ones ? Are the stock high Z or low Z? Dont want to mess with resistor pack etc.

Lastly, any more thoughts on the flushing precedure i outlined of the oil cooler, pan and intercooler ?????

Bump for that last thought, please
Old Jan 9, 2017, 03:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Best turbo ever, for our cars (stock bottom end). I had too much fun with mine.

You will never get all the metal out of the oil cooler or oil pan.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
So true.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I love my ss red
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Best turbo ever, for our cars (stock bottom end). I had too much fun with mine.

Yah, buying a new oil cooler and the oil line to turbo from FP. IIRc that oil line has a filter in it. But we will flush everything 2 x before installing
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Yah, buying a new oil cooler and the oil line to turbo from FP. IIRc that oil line has a filter in it. But we will flush everything 2 x before installing
I took my old oil cooler, lines, and oil pan to the shop to clean. Nothing gets the metal out. There are too many nooks. They are expensive to replace, but so is a new engine. 😕
Old Jan 12, 2017, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Can you post a pic of your custom exhaust?
what magnaflow muffler p/n are you using?
What o2 housing are you running?

I completely understand about keeping the system quiet.

if your on stock cams, you will be close on oem injectors.

i made 360/360 on hks 264 cams on 91oct oem injectors, oem tme turbo, 21psi @ 7500rpm., SD, no maf on 3"exh, 10.9 afr @ 7500rpm.

The 71hta can move some air, just depends on your target boost.

Quick Reply: Going to 71HTA on my 05 MR