Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Current intake = Perrin / suggestion intake =?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Current intake = Perrin / suggestion intake =?

I recently purchased a CBRD Radiator and a new tial QRJ diverter valve. Previously I had the synapse DV which started to leak on me over and over. After installing the tial valve which is much larger then the synapse.. it was hitting the upper Radiator hose and bending it upwards.. so I installed the CBRD Radiator which has the upper Radiator hose located to the right further away from the manifold and it allows much more room in the area where the DV is mounted to the Perrin intake hose coming off of the turbo.. but my problem is that the small hose coming off of the intake is still hitting the CBRD upper Radiator hose slightly.. I had to rotate the intake towards the radiator to give the valve and the small hose (the small hole on the intake tube with the hose coming out of it) more room to fit..

My question to those who have in depth knowledge of the best intakes and how they perform. I currently have a Perrin intake with a stock MAF. A fully built motor / CBRD BBK full/ cams ect.. making 400+ whp on a mustang dyno. My Perrin foam filter is starting to get deformed from not having a mounting bracket attached. Plus the fact that the small hose coming off of the intake tube is hitting the upper Radiator hose. Is there an intake that performs better then the Perrin and will give me better clearance? Plus... I can't just order a replacement foam filter because Perrin doesn't make them anymore..I'm sorry that this write up is kind of messed up I'm typing this from my phone while at work.

So. Replaced my stock Radiator with a CBRD Radiator.. replaced my synapse DV with a TIAL QRJ.. My Perrin foam filter is turning to crud... they don't make replacement filters I know of.. and not to mention the small hose coming off of the intake is hitting the upper Radiator hose...

What to do?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
have you thought about going speed density?

If not, fitment is usually guaranteed with the same brand of everything. If you bought the ETS kit (upper piping and intake) you wouldn't have any clearance issues. I would look into an ETS MAF intake.

Also picture of engine bay would help too
Old Feb 20, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have to get that picture for you, I'll try to post it up this week
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by evo.matt
have you thought about going speed density?

If not, fitment is usually guaranteed with the same brand of everything. If you bought the ETS kit (upper piping and intake) you wouldn't have any clearance issues. I would look into an ETS MAF intake.

Also picture of engine bay would help too
Have to agree with this.
The most restrictive part of the intake will be the MAF, and SD will remove it.
Be careful though I've seen horror stories of poor SD mappers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

🤞

Last edited by iLLevo_; Feb 24, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Had the same issue. My perrin foam filter was deteriorating, but i wanted to keep using the rest of the kit. This filter will be a direct bolt in replacement for the discontinued perrin foam unit that is currently falling apart in your car.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._flow_4260.htm

-pal215
Old Feb 27, 2017, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yea but is that filter tested
Old Feb 27, 2017, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by iLLevo_
Yea but is that filter tested
I don't think it was tested like the Perrin was back in the day. The perrin intake kit was the dyno proven best intake for a long time. The filter I linked you is a cost effective, reliable replacement, but I don't have flow numbers of that compared to others.

What I can tell you is that in my car that STM filter has been good to over 37 psi and loads of power, while the perrin filter began to suck itself inward under that boost.

-pal215
Old Oct 17, 2017, 05:17 PM
dza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Had the same issue. My perrin foam filter was deteriorating, but i wanted to keep using the rest of the kit. This filter will be a direct bolt in replacement for the discontinued perrin foam unit that is currently falling apart in your car.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._flow_4260.htm

-pal215
Thanks for this post! I am in the same predicament of a deteriorating Perrin intake and just picked up a STM replacement thanks to your informative post.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i picked up the AMSOIL dryflow and clamped it onto the perrin adaptor. it looks great imo.