Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 9 radiator leak?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 9 radiator leak?

Came home from work a couple days ago and smoke started rising from the hood exit,popped the hood open while letting it run, seen coolant fluid all around the top rim of the radiator,was barely dripping from the hose on top and on the bottom tray under the intercooler was fluid all over the place, the engine was not over heating and was running fine the next day i drove it,it only happens 10 to 15 minutes or when the car is fully warmed up to be more accurate,i am not sure what it is and am not really trying to drive it anymore till i figure out whats going on, any ideas,suggestions,or opinions would help, im prepared to do w.e from changing hoses to buying a new radiator if needed,its my DD and need it fixed asap THANK YOU!

sorry for wall of text
Old Feb 27, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a cracked radiator top to me if its the stock radiator with the plastic top then thats the most likely suspect i would get a new radiator if i were you
The following users liked this post:
pakotoke (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 09:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This just happened to me last week lol. If you look closely at the seam between the plastic black piece and the radiator you will find a crack. You're lucky you weren't WOT lol mine sprayed everywhere. Pita to clean thoroughly.
pakotoke (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I asked this forum several years ago, "How long did your radiator last?" The results averaged a little better than 100K miles. Rather than wait for the inevitable I threw in a radiator at 100K.
pakotoke (Feb 28, 2017)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats funny i actually did pulls and then as i got home it started to smoke,then i noticed leaking the next day,AND my car is almost at 97k, so yea, you guys are probably right as hell, thank you!
ill be purchasing a koyo for that 4/5/6 straight hose look
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Story time: I just googled radiator when I bought mine. Whatever site I landed on said exact fit. They weren't kidding, the radiator was an exact copy of the original right down to the mold marks on the plastic tank. In other words this was the radiator the car came with when new but now not for much money.

I've also ran across a couple of other bits for the engine that appear to be NOS. For example an accessory belt tensioner that came from Advance Auto that is an exact copy of the original and obviously came from the same factory.

So, it must be that Mitsubishi dumping the 4G63 came as a bit of a surprise to some of the suppliers and they are now dumping this stock anyway they can. I don't know how to find the stuff except by accident but it is out there.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A link would be mighty helpful
Old Mar 4, 2017, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rage mang
A link would be mighty helpful
Sorry. A while back someone else was in need of a radiator. So, I tried to find the radiator I bought. I knew the web site but their radiator selection had changed. Now they had several selections that fit an Evo, none looking exactly like the one I got. So, no joy.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Everything breaks for a reason.

Maybe you need to think on that for a while.