Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

acd transfer case compatibility

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2017, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
acd transfer case compatibility

I have a 03 evo 8 and am thinking of upgrading my diff. My friend is selling a jacks stage 2 tcase with wavetrac lsd but his transfer case is acd. I was wondering if I can still use the tcase even if I dont have acd. I do not want to add acd so can i just plug the line.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
you cant just plug the lines. with no oil pressure to the clutch packs it will be all time open diff.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 06:23 PM

the acd tcase i will be using has a wavetrac lsd
Old Feb 28, 2017, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

the wavetrac doesnt have anything to do with the clutch pack. the wavetrac is an stronger than stock LSD front diff. the clutch packs control spin of the center diff. the center diff is actually in the transmission. you best bet is to take wavetrack out of your free ACD case and intsall it in your 2003 case. that would effectively make it and RS case .
Old Feb 28, 2017, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The ACD is for the center diff. The wavetrac isnside the tcase is the front diff. You can't use that tcase on your car.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it possible to convert an ACD transfer to a non-acd transfer? I have an Evo8 with a damaged ACD pump and also have a non-acd transfer case with a broken housing. So basically I am asking if the internals can be swapped over.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm like 90% sure the VCU will attach to the diff assembly in the tcase the same as the ACD clutch assembly does. Then you just need the appropriate side cover. I would verify that though, its something I remember picking up in passing, and I'm not 100% sure that I'm right.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 09:37 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I have seen this question come up a couple times. A real answer would be good, we will probably need someone with some first hand experience with this to chime in. I don't see why using an ACD tcase without the hydraulics would not work in a USDM Evo 8. Without the hydrolics its basically going to be in open mode all the time, which is exactly what the transfer case that came with the USDM evo 8 is, an open diff.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I have seen this question come up a couple times. A real answer would be good, we will probably need someone with some first hand experience with this to chime in. I don't see why using an ACD tcase without the hydraulics would not work in a USDM Evo 8. Without the hydrolics its basically going to be in open mode all the time, which is exactly what the transfer case that came with the USDM evo 8 is, an open diff.
No, a non-ACD tcase has a viscous coupling unit, so it acts like a limited slip diff, to an extent. Running an acd tcase without the pump wont damage it, but the car will handle very poorly, and spin the front tires when trying to put power down. It ruins the dynamics of the car.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
No, a non-ACD tcase has a viscous coupling unit, so it acts like a limited slip diff, to an extent. Running an acd tcase without the pump wont damage it, but the car will handle very poorly, and spin the front tires when trying to put power down. It ruins the dynamics of the car.
Ah ok i think i got it, thanks. So basically the VCU does mechanically what the ACD does electronically, just presumably not as well in certain situations. So without the electronics/hydraulics the acd tcase basically wont behave properly because of the lack of mechanical functionality of the non-acd tcase's vcu? Have i got that right?

I guess that also means that my understanding of the non-acd as being always open is wrong, it will lock up if enough slip occurs? At least i think thats what my research is pointing to.

P.S. I know the front diff is completely open on a USDM 8 (non RS/2005).

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Mar 1, 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't know if a DSM had the same sort of viscous coupling the Evo has. But, I remember a fellow back then with a DSM who had the drive shaft out of his car for some reason. Anyway, he reported that when he first started his car and put it in gear it wouldn't move. Then after a short time it would move and he could drive around, I guess, normally - I wasn't there.

What was happening was the viscous coupling was locking, allowing the car to be driven as a fwd. There was nothing speedy about this action, appearing mostly useful for getting unstuck. If the Evo viscous coupling is the same then it isn't doing anything to improve handling, its action is too slow.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

The VCU is more sluggish to respond, and does not have nearly as much lock up capability as the ACD. But yes, it is similar to the ACD in that it works like a limited slip diff.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 01:49 PM

I got off the phone with jacks trans and he said that you can not just plug up the lines or it would act as a open diff and eventually get ruined. He said my option was to swap the viscous coupler over and the case. The thing is the ring and pinion have been upgraded on the built tcase and I would want to use them. If I take swap out the ring and pinion would I be ok or would I have to send it out to correct the backlash.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Apr 17, 2017)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 01:53 PM

I added this picture incase anyone else runs into this problem. The picture labeled one is the viscous coupling and would need to be transfered if converting from acd to non acd. 2 is the diff housing im not 100% sure if they are the same but it works. 3 is the tcase cover that would also be needed.
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Apr 17, 2017)
Old Mar 5, 2017, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have done the swap. only 1 and 3 are needed to convert acd case to non acd