Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 10w30 installed ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil 1 10w30 installed ?

I had the local Mitsu dealer change my oil 2 weeks ago and am wondering if their is a way to know that they used the correct oil, Mobil 1 and correct weight 10w30?

The story goes as follows:

Initially I called Riverhead Mitsubishi to schedule an appointment and asked them the cost and they replied $29.99. I knew that they did know or realize that Mobil 1 Synthetic oil needs to be used so I had to remind them to make sure Mobil 1 was put in. I dropped the car off at 10am and attempted to pick up the vehicle at 3pm as promised. At 3pm I arrived and they said the car was on the lift and they have to RUN down the road to pick up Mobil 1. I am now starting to think that they are pretty incompetent.

After picking up the car I read the work order and it stated Mobil 1 5w30. I read the owners manual and it stated that 5w30 should be used in extreme cold temps. Being that we are headed into the summer this is the wrong oil weight to use. I called them back and scheduled and apt for the following week to have the correct weight Mobil 1 put in. I came back and within 1 hour the correct oil was apparently poured in.

I realize its pretty ridiculous to have to worry about this but how do any of us really know what Mitsubishi is really putting into our motors ?

Last edited by Michael A; Apr 4, 2004 at 03:47 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have a hard time taking my car to the dealer to for that same reason not only that, I had to wait over an hour for my oil change which should take half hour max. I looked on my work order and it does not list the type of oil they use at all. From now on I'm just going to do my own. I took it to the dealer cause they only charge 19.99 + tax. To do it yourself runs about 30.00. I personally think it is very inconvenient form me to go to the dealer. The pay off is not worth it.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 04:58 PM

5w-30 would protect your engine at startup more than 10w-30, but the 10w-30 would offer more protection with heat. Neways both woulda been fine, but better to be safe than sorry.

What I'm surprised about is that it only costs 29.99. Buying the oil from costco and oil filter alone would cost more than that easily. But for 19.99 I am 80% sure they are putting dino oil in, unless your dealership is in the business to lose money. My advice to you if you decide to go back to the dealership to do oil changes is to make sure your service advisor understands the car needs synthetic and to put it in writing on the invoice.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by wewu
5w-30 would protect your engine at startup more than 10w-30, but the 10w-30 would offer more protection with heat. Neways both woulda been fine, but better to be safe than sorry.

What I'm surprised about is that it only costs 29.99. Buying the oil from costco and oil filter alone would cost more than that easily. But for 19.99 I am 80% sure they are putting dino oil in, unless your dealership is in the business to lose money. My advice to you if you decide to go back to the dealership to do oil changes is to make sure your service advisor understands the car needs synthetic and to put it in writing on the invoice.
The $29.99 figure was for dino oil NOT Mobil 1. They charged me $55 total for Mobil 1. The problem is that the service advisors & service mgr are not the brightest bulb in the pack. You tell them what kind of car you have and they have almost no idea what it is. They still have have the same red Evo that I drove last summer because they wouldnt budge on price. I dont think they have sold more than a handful of Evo's. I would consider going elsewhere but I am 5 minutes away from this particular dealership when the next closest is about 40 minutes away.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 07:26 PM

Thats y I don't go to the dealer for routine maintainance, most of them either don't know or don't care about whats goin on. You just have to remember if you decide to do your own oil changes to save your reciepts and make logs of them in your owners manual. That way if you ever need to go back to the dealer for warranty claims, they can't blame the problem on lack of maintainance.