Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gasoline -> BP vs. Sunoco

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gasoline -> BP vs. Sunoco

Ever since I've owned my evo, I've always filled it with Sunoco 94 whenever possible. I've tried a few others (Speedway 92, Shell 93) and can definately feel the difference from the Sunoco (Sunoco better). The other week, out of necessity, I had to stop by a BP station to fill up. Filled up with BP 93. Damned if the car didn't pull smoother and felt like it had more torque. Thinking I was making this up in my head, I went back to Sunoco 94 yesterday. It does not pull as smooth, hesitates ever so slightly at times in the rev range (pulled timing?).

Am I on crack or does this jive with other peoples experiences? I invite anyone to test this theory out. I'm Ohio BTW, i'm not sure if geographic location has anything to do with the quality of fuels for these particular brands.

And no, I DON'T work for BP.
Old May 18, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Be happy you can get 93 octane.

For those of us out west, it is 91 Octane Plus 1 Gallon of Toluene/tank full.

As far as the difference

Since Octane is R+M/2
The breakdown of that ratio could differ between 2 - 93 octane fuels, and certainly between a 93 and a 94. It may be that the 93 has a higher R octane value, and therefore is not causing as much pull in advance.
Old May 18, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'll try it.... I use Sunoco 94 aqlso in Maryland, near DC

-Shahul
Old May 18, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

bp (amoco) 93 peforms as good or better than sunoco 94 ever did in my Evo
Old May 18, 2004, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put Sunoco 94 in my evo yesterday. I was about to post whether or not its worth it (couldn't tell a difference in rush hour traffic, LOL).

I'll have to try BP if I ever see one around here (DC), mostly it's the Red,White,and Blues + Shell and Texaco (all 93).

good info, thanks!
a
Old May 18, 2004, 08:51 PM

since bp took over amaco the 93 isnt the same, mine has less power now that its bp,also when it was amaco there was a sight glass in the nozzle to see that the fuel was clear now that its bp the fuel has a yellow tint
Old May 18, 2004, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

You should also look at the additives , some brands have more/better cleaners in thier gas.......
Old May 18, 2004, 09:24 PM

ur lucky u sunoco stop selling 94 in mass. i knew a sunoco with the cheapest price in town. i mean i bout 94 gas for the price of shell 91. now sunoco only offers 93 in mass and to top that off gas prices are sky high...
Old May 18, 2004, 10:03 PM

Here is an interesting tidbit. Most gas companies transport gas through pipelines throughout the US and the pipelines are shared between all the companies. Gas takes time to travel distances, so as a time saver. They input a certain octane into the pipeline system and they get the equivalent octane out, so it isnt guaranteed to be the same gas. The difference is when they put the additives in the the gas after coming out the destination.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

When I first got my EVO, I use to drive out of my way to find Sunoco 94 (only some Sunoco's had 94). Then one time I just stopped by a closer gas station, and I filled up 93. I got an extra 15-20 miles from a full tank of city driving. I went back and forth one more time, and 93 gave me way better gas mileage.

I couldn't really tell a difference in performance between the two.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

i always use BP because it is on my way to work and i love it.. smooth power and no hesitation. i've felt a slight hesitation and bogging feel when i put in mobile but i dont know about sunoco (there isnt any near me).... i did my dyno testing with my trusting BP station at 93 octane and i got 269whp in 3rd gear with catback, intake and highflow cat, and dynoflash so i think my gas is good enough for me.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For normal driving, 91 would probably suffice. The octane is there to slow the burning and prevent detonation. The extra octane won't make a difference until you're really on the boost hard. I have friends that are amazed when they take my advice and put 87 in their cars (non boosted) and they get better milage.

The lower octane burns better in most cases, but add 19 psi and you may crack a con-rod when she knocks.

I haven't finished the tank of 94, but I've noticed the fuel needle moving down a bit faster than normal. Idle is better though. I'm still trying to figure out which brand is best around here.

a
Old May 19, 2004, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I have always used Sunoco 94 from day 1. The Sunocos around here contain Ethanol...don't know whether that is a good or bad thing....

Choices I have in South Central PA are Sunoco 94, Hess 93, Mobile 93, Exxon 93, Crown 93, Sheetz 93 (ewwww) and Rutters 92 (blah).....so I figure Sunoco 94 is the best out of my choices.

Wish there was a BP around here to test the theory
Old May 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

I use 93 octane from BP (amoco) because it is the most convenient place for me to go. The car seems to run pretty well, although it's weird because sometimes when I fill up there, the car will run a little rough for a few minutes. I think it's odd because I always go to the same station and of course I always get 93, so I'm wondering if there is a little variation in the octane that they have???
Old May 19, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Guys,

I heard that BP gas was not good for your car. I heard they had an additive that was actually caused harm. I do not recall at this time what it is or what it does. I will check into it and get back to everyone.

I use shell 93 - becaue it is close and Sunoco whenever I get a chance. Probably every 2nd or 3rd fill up. I have a knock sensor and there is definately less knock with the Sunoco than the Shell but both are so small it is probably not a huge difference.
-Doug

Quick Reply: Gasoline -> BP vs. Sunoco