Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gas Pedal Sticking

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Pedal Sticking

Maybe this has been posted before,but i decided to might as well post.....

My gas pedal feels a bit funny....At a standing rev with clutch in or in neutral when i press the gas pedal...It feels as if it gets stuck for a second...(Just little foot pressure given).....Like if the pedal is all the way out...If i press the pedal a little bit...It seems to get stuck...THen if i give it more pressure...It like gets unstuck and gives more throttle than i need or over revs...I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem with there EVO gas pedal....It also does it when changing gears too...Like if i take my foot off the gas to tap the brakes...and go to give it more gas...It seems like it wont' go any farther...So i give it more pressure and it just gets unstuck and gives to much throttle and makes the car buck.....I dont' know what it is.......HELP

-John
Old May 19, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like carbon build up already. But mine did get stuck and I made a post about it a while back. The problem was actually the opposite of yours. I pressed it down, but the throttle never released. With my foot of the throttle and the car in neutral it was stick around 4K rpm. I had to pop the hood and play with the throttle to make it go back. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems and it never happened again. Weird!
Old May 19, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

no myn has done that since stock, i didnt know anybody else has noticed it, it sucks when your trying to cruise with your date and it gets stuck and you give it more pressure and it gets unstuck and jerks yalls heads back and she gets mad saying your showing off!
Old May 19, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

my fiances honda accord did this same thing. would stick the first time she pressed the gas. took off the throttle body intake piping and sprayed out the throttle body with intake cleaner. hasn't had the sticking problem ever since.
Old May 19, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Wow....Does anyone know what it is?? i Thought maybe it was just me.....haha...I really don't understand what it could be...I checked the throttle cable yesterday....It was slacked the way it should be....And also....when i made it tighter...As to raise my Idle a hot bit there...it would take the problem away...But the idle would sit about 1,250 and wouldn't go back down..But it took away the sticking....When i changed it back to normal...The problem came back...I try to drive with it...But its just a pain in the ***.....It never did that before and just started doing it not to long ago....HELP

-John
Old May 19, 2004, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure your throttle body plate is just gummed up a bit. try doing what i posted earlier and i'm 75% sure it will fix your problem.
Old May 19, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Throttle body plate??? I have no idea what that is...I mean...I probably do...but I got nothing....Do you think a BOV would have any affect with it?? i was thinking maybe my VTA bov would cause it to do that....

-John
Old May 19, 2004, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

i remember my driver's ed car (which was a stupid civic) did the same thing..it was pretty bad tho..the speed would only hover around 30..if u go past that sticky part it goes up to like 45 and under it is like 25..it was damn annoying.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:30 PM

the throttle plate is sticking due to carbon build up.

and caymandiver theres actualy a TSB for accords and that problem.

just get some trhottle body/intake cleaner.
while the engine is runnign with the intake pipe removed or intercooler for evo. just spray while you open the throttle, youll notice the car will want to bog down due to the rich mixture so youll have to really open up the throttle plate. which actualy helps you get more area.

keep modulating the throttle plate wiht your fingers and spray all over the place, make sure you stay away from the iac motor ports on mitsu's, hondas dont matter. make sure u also concentrate and get the area where the throttle plate contacts good.

this will clean the whole intake manifold, ports valves everything and very well, if you can get a good quailty product.

also check your throttle cable adjustment and for binding.

strange tho, usualy happens on vehicles with 50-60+ thousand miles?
Old May 20, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know if i wanna do thatmuch work....Is there anythigelse it might be...I don't relaly feel like taking all that stuff off to fix the throttle pedal...I would rather just drive with it the way it is...

-John
Old May 23, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Help....anyone...
Old May 24, 2004, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

If you can't do this yourself, can't you just take it to the dealer under warranty? Your signature says it's stock.