Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

transfer case

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case

I just had my clutch replaced (clutch master stage 1), since then my car has been making a sound like i also changed the blow off,but i have not!! I took it to XS and they said it's the transfer case, then i took it to rmr, they said they did think it was the transfer case, b-cut the car is driving fine, then i took it to Mitsu. they said nothing is wrong, i doubt it, HOPE SOMEBODY KNOW MORE ABOUT YHIS
Old May 31, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

be more exact. if it makes this sound and you are not in the boost then the BOV is not related. if you have the sound with the clutch engaged or disengaged, how about just free wheeling down the road in neutral. or if you rev your engine does it change. these can help sort it out. let us know what you find. i have heard alot of people have more sounds after clutch changes.
Old May 31, 2004, 07:49 PM

My transfer case was having problems. I had it replaced under warranty. It wasn't easy trying to convince the dealership. I have not raced, or abused my car at all.(NO MODS either) But I guess the dealership automatically assumes the worst from evo owners.
It is a high pitch whine that increases with speed, the sound is there whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. RPM's did not affect the sound. My problem sounded like a bad bearing. Good luck with your evo.
Old May 31, 2004, 07:52 PM

This sound is when i let go of thottle without engaging the clutch, also between changing gears, it get louder with higher rpm, but not if i'm not accelerating, THANK YOU FOR TAKING YOUR TIME LOOKING INTO MY SITUATION.

Last edited by bustmac; Jun 1, 2004 at 02:13 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

it is your transfer case. I had mine replaced a few months ago. Exact symptoms as what you're having.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Me too

I have the same problem too especially forth gear car is making louder WEEWEEEE sound while accelerating and when i let go the gas i heard my tranny like grinding machine on every gears

Hey M3rcer how you been
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

i would take your car in immeditately for evalutation. doesnt sound good. also post this on the link with the NHTSA.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

a blown t-case does NOT sound like an aftermarket bov. it is a metal to metal very LOUD grinding noise under all driving conditions but it isnt always apparent to the mitsu techs. What I had to do was take a tech for a ride myself because as we all know WE (the owners) know our cars better than anyone else and more than likely you can re-produce the sound for them better than they can.

FYI...i am on my 3rd t-case. I had to take it to a different dealership to get the 3rd one, cause the 2nd blew after 1 DAY of easy driving. The tech at the other dealership said it looked like a grenade went off in the t-case and he took some measurements and the gears were shimmed to close together.

Good luck
Old Jun 2, 2004, 01:07 AM

Is The Transfer Case Under Warranty?
Is There Any Driving Symptoms With A Bad Transfer Case?

Xs Says My Transfer Case Is Bad

Rmr Say It Is Not

Mitsu Says My Car Drives Perfect????