Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Intake Manifold Install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Intake Manifold Install

I'm installing the buschur intake manifold and I am wondering how everyone else handled the oil dipstick+intake manifold pressure sensor+egr sensors. I know not everything transfers but I know if you keep the sensors connected they wont throw a CEL as I had egr disabled before. Anyone done the install yet?

thanks,

bryan
Old Jul 17, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

how long have you had it i have not recieved mine yet?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I barely installed it last night. It was a real pain because the buschur intercooler piping did not want to fit after the install at all. I had to trim off a good half inch off the piping to squeeze it in. The other install problem I had was I just couldn't get the dipstick to fit anywhere afterwards and there was no place for the intake manifold pressure sensor. There is also no grounding points (bolt holes) other than the throttle linkage maybe or the throttle body bolt area's. I wish I had known this before hand... I had called buschur racing to ask them if it would fit without modifications and they of course told me yes. They also didn't mention the pipe fittings I would need. So fitting without modification was not the case... I guess I have to be a bit more specific next time as they obviously did not understand the question

Install tips:

- Have 4 1/8th inch pipe fittings for your FP regulator, Brake Booster, BOV, Boost controller, and anything else you have that needs vacuum lines.
- Also have some vacuum caps/lines of various sizes.
- I had to bend my oil dipstick to make it fit, prepare to do so unless buschur had some way to fit it that I could not see at the time.
- Prepare to cut your intercooler piping a little to make everything fit afterwards.
- The heater hoses+fuel lines will be a very tite fit under the piping/throttle body after the install. I would say get a longer heater hose or differently shaped one for a better fit.
- Make some provisions to secure the throttle linkage afterwards as it will not be in the stock location on the valve cover anymore. It will be near/above the coil packs.
- Prepare to have a CEL because of all the missing emissions sensors unless you can make some brackets to fit it all back be at least plugged in and halfway connected not to throw a CEL.
- Prepare to find some way to refit the manifold pressure sensor. I have not yet figured out a way because of the way it is designed. I would almost think that cutting off the fitting off the stock manifold and welding it on the buschur manifold would be the only choice.
- Most importantly go slow!!! take your time! It can be done pretty quick but it's better to put a day aside even though I did mine in like 3 hours.

Hope this helps someone...

-bryan

Last edited by bryans2k; Jul 17, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

is it worth the money? post some pics
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Great tips.. Nobody really talks about the issues with an aftermarket manifold install..
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well I finally got everything sorted out and cleaned up. The car runs just fine now. I tested everything and it has no leaks or issues. The car feels a tiny bit stronger in the mid range but feels somewhat shorter on power top end. I really feel no difference if not a bit of a loss bottom end. I don't know if it's just me or what... I'll be getting a wideband soon and taking it to the track, my current flash was for a stage 4. It just doesn't feel worth the money... If I had a bigger turbo it would've probably made a real difference.

Bryan
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

I was looking at the pics of the HKS time attack EVO (550hp). It looks like they use the stock intake.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Buschur manifold=Magnus manifold

We had a customer brings us a Buschur unit to install and it was still in the Magnus box and magnus tape. I don't know why he calls it a Buschur manifold.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 06:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How much of a PITA was the manifold install?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, I thought David was just on here recently trumpeting the fact that his manifold did have provisions for the dipstick and factory equipment.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

A418t81: well if it did, I couldn't see how after I had it on.

MalibuJack: As long as you follow my tips there shouldn't be any suprises and should go pretty smoothly. It's all about planning, as with any project.

RnR Racing: Yea, they sure do look the same to me in pictures but I haven't seen a magnus intake in person though. I went with buschur because I like the thought process they follow when making a part but who knows since I have seemed to have received great service but parts that did not meet quality standards (many pin holes in intercooler piping) and had various issues with the manifold when they said there would be none. Though I still like their parts I now think twice about what they say about anything.

I would say any gains you would see would only be seen with a larger turbo otherwise they are very small if not losses in some areas but since I plan on getting buschurs 500 or larger turbo kit it's ok.

bryan
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I got to see Ryan's car at RNR this Saturday and its a really clean setup, their turbo kit is really nice. He has the intake manifold on his car as well if you have any questions about it.

Originally Posted by RnR Racing
Buschur manifold=Magnus manifold

We had a customer brings us a Buschur unit to install and it was still in the Magnus box and magnus tape. I don't know why he calls it a Buschur manifold.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

be careful w/ the manifold. i ran the magnus for 2 months and it cracked in about 6 different places, including an 1/8th inch gap at the weld on the bottom of the plenum. if your car starts to idle a bit crazy, check out the manifold. it was driving us nuts!
jeremy
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

wow, that's crazy... I've been running it for a little bit now and haven't had any cracks that I have seen or noticed from boost drop/idle... Did they ever give a possible reason for it?

bryan
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:48 PM
Account Disabled

Thes manifolds are great, more air better flow, but porting the head to match it would be best, the head can only handle so much air and so on I would immagine a mod like this would add a lttle lag but also add about 30-40WHP accross the board. Is this mod benefitial with a Stock turbo?

Quick Reply: Buschur Intake Manifold Install